• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Tim Hardaway Jr is a Hawk

ATLHawks3

Timmy's contract for next year is 1.3 million and the following season is a team option at 2.2 mill? That's awesome for the production you will get from a 3rd year player in my opinion.

Timmy's contract for next year is 1.3 million and the following season is a team option at 2.2 mill? That's awesome for the production you will get from a 3rd year player in my opinion.

Then a $3.3 qualifying offer in 2017/18. So we have him for 3 years.

He is not a "good scorer" by any stretch. Inefficient volume shooter <> good scorer. Not to mention he gives zero effort on defense, despite being almost 6'7" he can't rebound and he has no handles.

Oh well, nothing we say on the squawk will change that trade just like nothing changed drafting Superbust Marvin or Shellhead or Childress.

He's a good scorer. If you watch the games and read his scouting reports, he's a good scorer. Look at it like this. Lou Williams was an inefficient for us. He played like he wasn't a good scorer when you know that's not the truth. He goes to another team and he becomes a 6th man of the year and a great scorer because the system fit. Now THJr scores in more ways than Lou but Lou was better at the one thing you have to be better at and that's creating your own offense off the dribble. 

For a player that is a 6th man/possible starter that's a great contract these days. Looking at our salaries we are either making a huge splash in free agency this year or the stellar summer of 2016.

• Premium Member

I agree but his potential to be an efficient scorer is there. .350 3PT%, 81% FT%, good shooting mechanics, and good size. This is a draft day trade for a division winning playoff team and I do not see anyone at 15 or later with more potential to contribute this coming season that's better than Hardaway.

If we were looking at three to five years down the road, maybe the smart move is to reach for a college player. But three to five years from now, Horford, Millsap, and Teagues windows will be closing.

You are intentionally glossing over the fact he shot less than 40%. Having a good free throw shot doesn't mean that much when you don't draw a lot of contact. 

I completely disagree that this new idea on hawksquawk that anyone at 15 or under can't contribute to  a winning team. It is just silly. You guys are dismissing any player we can take from here on out to get guys from other teams drafted at the tail end of the draft that can't even shoot 40% from the field.

I'm admittedly a bit baffled by this as well. But, let's be honest... If we revisited the very first Milsap, DMC or Korver threads they would look very similar to this one. So I still have hope. I have to think Bud actually sees something that we don't with Hardaway.

And it's typically the exact same (redacted)s that overpopulate the threads with their universally lauded analytical ability and soothsaying. It's like the argument with the guy who thinks that by yelling his point it somehow gained greater credibility. Right, right? Because I'm repeating the same thing, right, it therefore becomes the ABSOLUTE truth, right?!
  • Like 1

You are intentionally glossing over the fact he shot less than 40%. Having a good free throw shot doesn't mean that much when you don't draw a lot of contact. 

I completely disagree that this new idea on hawksquawk that anyone at 15 or under can't contribute to  a winning team. It is just silly. You guys are dismissing any player we can take from here on out to get guys from other teams drafted at the tail end of the draft that can't even shoot 40% from the field.

I am not dismissing a pick who may pan out. But Hardaway has been in the league two seasons on a dysfunctional team. I think its obvious that our brain trust felt Hardaway is a solid. I do like Oubre's athletic ability and potential; but like Booker, Winslow, Turner, and Lyles a lot better.

It did not hurt me to trade Oubre for Hardaway and two seconds. But if we would have done that for the above mentioned four other players, I would be just as unhappy as some others here about the deal.

Edited by Buzzard

• Premium Member

"Carmelo, according to source, called Tim Hardaway Jr. late Thursday to express his displeasure with Phil Jackson's draft night moves."

Not too sure I think Carmelo's pleasure or displeasure is predictive of any positive or negative outcome. But then, I'm just not a Melo fan to begin with.

And it's typically the exact same (redacted)s that overpopulate the threads with their universally lauded analytical ability and soothsaying. It's like the argument with the guy who thinks that by yelling his point it somehow gained greater credibility. Right, right? Because I'm repeating the same thing, right, it therefore becomes the ABSOLUTE truth, right?!

What about you repeating the fact that you don't like that other people express their opinions?

What about you repeating the fact that you don't like that other people express their opinions?

Ask me that question again when I'm the lead poster in the thread with 41 replies instead of just 5. Edit: whoops, make that 6 replies now but give it time, I'll maybe catch up to ya.

Edited by MaceCase

• Moderators

At what point in time have the Knicks actually been a competent organization? Geez, the Knicks think it was a good deal. As was their Amare signing. And the Chandler signing, then subsequent trade. Oh and trading away their entire future for Carmelo. Man, I'm going to lose a lot of sleep over this. {/sarcasm}

The Knicks stink.  You are supposed to rob them of draft picks, not the other way around.

• Moderators

Roughly $6.8 million for the next three which is roughly twice the cost of the 19th pick over that time and significantly more than the 15th pick.  Hope his production is double as well.

(Note that the qualifying offer for 2017-18 won't apply if he gets an offer from another team.  The $3.3 is the minimum you would pay unless you waive your rights.)

Edited by AHF

Here is what some are crying over:

Weaknesses: Oubre could develop into a solid floor-spacer in the NBA, but his jump shot was inconsistent at Kansas. Over his final eight regular season games, Oubre connected on only 18.8% of his treys. Oubre also didn’t display a consistent ability to create good shot opportunities inside the arc. He sank 38% of his mid-range shots and converted fewer than 50% of his two-point attempts. Oubre didn’t distinguish himself as a playmaker, either, as he recorded 1.4 assists per 40 minutes (adjusted for pace), fewer than frontcourt teammates Perry Ellis and Jamari Traylor. Though Oubre presents upside as a two-way wing, he will likely need some time to develop before making a significant impact.

Link:http://www.si.com/nba/2015/06/25/2015-nba-draft-kelly-oubre-trade-wizards-hawks-0

I get the kid has athletic ability; but give me Hardaway's upside and 3pt shooting all day.

• Moderators

I love how we keep coming up with the exceptions to the rules.   Yes, we can find some players in the mid and late first.  But that's not been our history.  Hell, Payne, Bebe, Dennis under Ferry... Only Dennis has stuck.  that's 1/3 of our midrounders... but ok... every midrounder is supposed to be Kawhi Leonard or Tony Parker...  Really?  I'm sorry... I like in reality where I see all the midrounders.  I know that your five times more likely to pull out an Acie Law than a Tony Parker.  But you can write the story of how we passed over the next Kawhi Leonard and such...  It reads well to the pessimist.

I prefer to write the story I have written about Dennis since the day he was drafted.  High ceiling player that I am excited to watch grow with the Hawks.  

I prefer to see Teague come out slow and then grow into a real impact player rather than just a limited role player that gives  you nothing you can't get from a dozen recent free agents around the league making $3M/season.

As sour as I am on this trade, I hope to see THJ develop into a solid defender and deadly perimeter shooter.

Edited by AHF
  • Like 1

Ask me that question again when I'm the lead poster in the thread with 41 replies instead of just 5. Edit: whoops, make that 6 replies now but give it time, I'll maybe catch up to ya.

Youre right. I should stop having discussions with people and start telling other people that discussions are stupid!

What was I thinking?!?

Sidenote. It's hilarious that you care so much about controlling what other people think that you took the time to look that up.

Edited by Afro

I prefer to write the story I have written about Dennis since the day he was drafted.  High ceiling player that I am excited to watch grow with the Hawks.  

I prefer to see Teague come out slow and then grow into a real impact player rather than just a limited role player that gives  you nothing you can't get from a dozen recent free agents around the league making $3M/season.

As sour as I am on this trade, I hope to see THJ develop into a solid defender and deadly perimeter shooter.

Thats what we all are looking for. I hope THJ pans out as well!