• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Official Hawks Summer League Thread

NBASupes

• Moderators

It's not showing the game though only a shot tracker stuff.

On the page that lists all the scores for that day, at the bottom left of each game score, there's a not-at-all-obvious link that says, "Summer League Live" or something that takes you to it. Hope you didn't miss out, but you didn't miss much!

~lw3

Supes take:

This game was bad. 

Mike M: He didn't look good. He showed flashes but he looked like a bench scrub.

Edy: He look at lost at times but he stopped peneration. Offensively, he set good screens. Wasn't impressive.

Lamar: The only solid player of the day, I can't wait till GRIII can play.

Holt: Hot garbage

Kane: Garbage

Pettaway: D League, not NBA quality yet but has potential.

Moser: Scrub

G. Smith: He ate his way out of the NBA and soon out of SL.

Millsap: super sayian scrub

Ashley: Wrong about Lamar, Ashley was the 2nd best player on the night. Didn't look like a NBA prospect due to his size and defense but he has potential. Perfect D-league type.

The rest were scrubs.

This team badly needs a PG and Kenny didn't do a good job either.

• Like 2

Stats looked good for Lamar, how was his defense? I remember when we first drafted him, couple on the board thought he could be a Lance Stephenson type player, without the craziness. Looks like playing overseas did him well.

Edited by Ryaan

• Premium Member

To me this team looked like a bunch of egotist, out-of-control scrubs desperately trying to land a job.

Aside from Muscala, Patterson, maybe Petteway and Ashley, they were all just horrible. Tavares gets a pass because nobody really cared to set plays for him, and he did play D as well as he could.

As a Hawks fan I want to see this team win, but it didn't help the refs (are they rookies too?) were all about helping Mudigay, Joffrey and Franklin look good.

that Holt guy and Millsap kid... sheeeesh. 

Edited by BrazilianHawk

Stats looked good for Lamar, how was his defense? I remember when we first drafted him, couple on the board thought he could be a Lance Stephenson type player, without the craziness. Looks like playing overseas did him well.

Defensively, he was bad. Especially his team defense. Pettaway was too inconsistent. It simply wasn't a good game for any Hawk. We need more perimeter defense. Last year, that kid from Florida could defend as well as Dennis. This yr, none of the guys we played was helpful on D.

Defense was the biggest mess of the day. Only guys who played D was Muscala, Holt and Tavares. Millsap tried. Ashley won't be in the NBA anytime soon for his defense. Too small at PF and isn't quick enough at SF.

• Premium Member

that Holt guy and Millsap kid... sheeeesh. 

Holt is Exhibit A for what I've been saying the last 12 hours... if you just looked at that game last night, you'd never know he actually performed well enough last SL season that he received a training camp invite. All of these predictions based on one game are over the top, including/especially any conclusions based on body frame... again, our roster happens to feature another Exhibit A for why you can't really label someone simply based on their frame... Millsap's older brother was always considered to small for PF to ever amount to much.

• Premium Member

I'm not as high on Robinson as others here, but I do think the evidence suggests Budcox is looking to see if someone can emerge from SL for us like Holiday did for GSW last summer, and force his way onto the roster. Most ideal, it seems, would be for Little Dog to make a statement. Conventional wisdom says he had some other options for SL, but that our situation made the most sense to him. I suppose he'll be on the floor tomorrow, and we'll see if he can impress.

Otoh, I think Ashley did some nice things for his first game, and I think Moser and Smith both have resumes that suggest they might yet distinguish themselves enough for a training camp invite. If it's true that Budcox is planning to divvy up the SF back-up minutes between Korver (vis-a-vis as a result of 4 guys who primarily play SG) and Scott, then any of those three are also viable competition with GR3.

At the very least, I think Budcox is going to see what comes out of SL (probably nothing, but who knows) before making any additional moves.

• Like 1

Defense was the biggest mess of the day. Only guys who played D was Muscala, Holt and Tavares. Millsap tried. Ashley won't be in the NBA anytime soon for his defense. Too small at PF and isn't quick enough at SF.

You know what player that sounds like right?

• Like 1

I know nothing of the kid but all I know is I hated his dad. Is he a defender? If not I'm not interested. We already signed a junior who can't defend (liked his dad though), no more. Splitter and Holiday are plus defenders, I wanna continue that trend of additions.

• Premium Member

From what I'm reading, it's just the opposite... can jump out of the building, has exceptional lateral quickness, and plays passing lanes very well... capable once he gets some real minutes of being a defensive asset... but his jumper remains a work in progress, not to mention his handles.

What's strange about his first year to me is that, studying 82games data, he rarely had the benefit of playing with a true PG... in MIN, his 5-man rotations were led by LaVine most of the time... he almost never got to play with Rubio... and in PHI, believe it or not, 9 of the top 10 (!) 5-man rotations minutes-wise featured none other than HIMSELF at the point (!).

I don't get why you let a 2nd round pick go without giving him much real game time (ie, accumulating minutes at SF with some rational backcourt with him), especially when you're MIN or PHI.

But I sure am hoping their trash is our treasure, as I know we all are.

Edited by sturt
  • Like 2