• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Official Hawks Summer League Thread

NBASupes

Hawks need to pick up GRIII. He looks like he can have a positive impact on BOTH ends of the court. There's too much potential there at a position of need to just let him sign with another team.

He's really the only player on our summer league roster that's ready to get consistent minutes in the NBA. Even Moose isn't ready for it even though he will. If you track GRIII, he is constantly moving around which means nothing on this squad but that means a lot of the real squad where we run a system and have PG's.

Muscala and Ashley looked decent as well.

Patterson was awful, however early foul trouble appeared to throw him off his game.

Moose looked okay. He wasn't all that effective. Ashley impressed again. He was really my #3 Supes Star but Holt's late defense was vital in the win.

• Like 2

Moose doesn't look as good when he's playing without other players that know what they are doing. He's much more of a quality system player for us than an individual talent. When you put him with our regulars, he looks much better. 

That being said:

• Premium Member

He's really the only player on our summer league roster that's ready to get consistent minutes in the NBA. Even Moose isn't ready for it even though he will. If you track GRIII, he is constantly moving around which means nothing on this squad but that means a lot of the real squad where we run a system and have PG's.

Moose looked okay. He wasn't all that effective. Ashley impressed again. He was really my #3 Supes Star but Holt's late defense was vital in the win.

I noticed that as well. He knocks down open shots and can create a little offense on his own when he has to. He can get plenty of open looks just like JYD did when he was here. 

Edited by hawkman
  • Like 2

Also, WTF refs? Did we get the Cleveland refs all over again?

• Like 3

I noticed that as well. He knocks down open shots and can create a little offense on his own when he has to. He can get plenty of open looks just like JYD did when he was here. 

He was better than I thought he was going to be and I had high expectations. His defense was legit. Never gave up a good look. Not even once.

• Like 1

I keep reading this threads saying "We need a SF now that Demare is gone", but please keep in mind that no one was excited about our SF crop this time last season. We all thought Thabo would be the man and look how things turned out...

With that said, GR3 was the type of player who always defended well in college at Michigan and he scored his points without plays being run for him...If we put him in a pass happy system like Atlanta, which coincidentally is what Michigan ran during his first two years and the team flourished.

Now I'm not comparing college to NBA, but there has to be a reason Bud brought him in at the last minute. Hardaway Jr. and GR3 reunited in Atlanta could be a nice future...I hope he makes the team.

Edited by wolvetigers
  • Like 4

I keep reading this threads saying "We need a SF now that Demare is gone", but please keep in mind that no one was excited about our SF crop this time last season. We all thought Thabo would be the man and look how things turned out...

With that said, GR3 was the type of player who always defended well in college at Michigan and he scored his points without plays being run for him...If we put him in a pass happy system like Atlanta, which coincidentally is what Michigan ran during his first two years and the team flourished.

Now I'm not comparing college to NBA, but there has to be a reason Bud brought him in at the last minute. Hardaway Jr. and GR3 reunited in Atlanta could be a nice future...I hope he makes the team.

I hope you are right!  I think he could be a really good addition to the Hawks roster!

Honestly, I don't like threads created by college fanboys (sorry @Alex and A. Payne) because they tend to be shortsighted but this one is 100% accurate. He showed so much talent defensively with his quick feet, defensive smarts and his willingness to defend every single time as if he was Tony Allen. Add to the fact that he has some offensive skills. Can shoot a good mid range jumper, is sound in shooting spot threes which come a lot more often with the main club than this one and he's consistently on the move on offense. He really has potential to be a special SF in our system. I like him more potentially than Holiday or Thabo. I think if he grows at an ample rate, he might get a chance to start for us sooner than later.

I had high hopes for him coming out of Michigan potentially. I liked him last year in the draft, just though he was too raw but he's like getting a top 15 pick when we signed him. I really hope he just doesn't only make the roster but becomes a star for us.

Edited by NBASupes

• Premium Member

Showed up tonight in his first 2015 SL action vs. GSW. Not a perfect game by any stretch, but the defensive effort was fully on display, which I think is just fundamental to him getting any real chance. Not a big fan of guys who lean backwards when shooting, and he doesn't do it every time, but often enough... and it just reminds me too much of another inconsistent shooter we had who did that not so long ago, and I think it's a problem mechanically for the long-term if he doesn't fix that, just as I think it was and is for the other player who has bounced from DET to HOU since then. Took a couple of ill-advised shots, but I suppose it's reasonable to cut him some slack given it's his first opportunity to impress, and you'd sure rather him err on the side of aggressiveness. Like the attitude I continue to hear coming out of his mouth (per the post-game interview). Let's see where it goes from here. He didn't make a statement tonight, but he certainly didn't do anything to discourage us thinking things could develop in a positive way.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Don't see Edy contributing much this year to anyone but the Austin D-League team assuming we get something worked out with them as I strongly suspect we're trying to do. Not a slight toward him. Like someone else said, he's still raw as one would naturally think he should be... well, that, and I'm sure he and almost anyone else plays much better when there's been several practices with your teammates and not just a handful. He did hit a nice soft 5 footer tonight. His shooting form for someone who's 7-3 is head-turning. I wonder if he could potentially perfect the ol Kevin Willis jump hook at some point... THAT would be unstoppable, you know?

I wasn't overly impressed with GRIII v. GSW last night. I saw a guy who was trying very hard, but seems to lack the ability to finish around the basket and as Sturt points out has a potentially broken shot. 

I did like what I saw out of Eddy and Moose was playing hard. 

The point guard we have is simply awful. Too much dribbling and too little passing. But, its SL and guys have to show what they can do to make a roster. 

GRIII looks a lot more aggressive than in the past; I'm guessing after being cut twice while chuckers were all around him staying is making him force the issue. He was a little out of control today, but he wasn't too bad. Our PG play on this team is awful; it's making it really hard to evaluate our bigs; Walter and Moose dove to the rim over and over and never received one lob or pass. I don't think Tavares received a single post up in the entire game other than offensive rebound opportunities. This has been a tough summer league watch for me; I guess I was spoiled by the Dennis years.