• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Anyone else noticed how ruthlessly efficient and effective Schröder has been lately?

bumpyphish1

6 points and 8 assists on 3-8 shooting vs. Magic in 17 mins.

15 points, 10 assists, and 3 steals on 6-9 shooting vs. Nets in 19 mins.

16 points and 5 boards on 6-10 shooting vs. Bucks in 19 mins.

13 points, 8 assists, and 2 steals on 5-11 shooting vs. Bulls in 21 mins.

....that's 4 of our last 5 games.  I threw out Brooklyn b/c Dennis stunk, everyone stunk.

Dennis is seriously playing GREAT lately.  There is no doubt in my mind he is the future PG of this franchise if we are not IDIOTS.  

And yes, I'd be for trading Teague now because he will lose value the closer he gets to the last year of his contract, and I don't think this team is ready to contend this year anyways.  I hope I'm wrong, but assuming I'm not, if Dennis got starter's minutes the rest of this year, he'd be as good as Teague is now by next season.

Thoughts?  Agree?  Madness?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

Too early to let go of Teague and assume Schröder can keep it going all season. Last year he had a stretch where he looked unstoppable as well and then played like garbage the last two months of the season and the playoffs. Obviously the talent is there, but we need to see it for a longer period of time before we assume that he has broken out imo.

Pretty much this...Dennis just need to do it longer and he will dethrone Teague and have his ass on the bench.

But I've also noticed that bud has put Dennis in at the end of games because of his aggressive style which equals out to better defense. When Teague is passive I never want him on the floor....even if Dennis isn't efficient in a game of Teague plays passive I say play Dennis cause we know Dennis will leave it on the court even if he does make bonehead plays.....thats is pretty much what bud has been doing anyways.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

The Hawks can't wait too long to make a decision on this as you don't want to risk a guy losing value, teams lowballing you because they know you can't keep both with both heading for free agency in some capacity.  My guess is they shouldn't wait past this offseason.  In the end, they will have to accept some risk in whether they choose to keep Dennis or keep Jeff.  

• Like 2

I'm going to mirror off what I typed elsewhere

"Kyle Lowry, Goran Dragic, Eric Bledsoe, Reggie Jackson, Isiah Thomas, Rajon Rondo, Brandon Knight, MCW, Ty Lawson, and Deron Williams were all the top PGs that changed teams in the last 3 seasons and the best pick with the least protection within the next 4 years and the best player that these teams got in return were the Lakers' pick (which has a great chance of staying in their control) and Enes Kanter.... There's not exactly a great trade market during the golden age of PGs."

Jeffrey is firmly in the "he's worth more to the Hawks than what any team is willing to offer for him" territory.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, MaceCase said:

I'm going to mirror off what I typed elsewhere

"Kyle Lowry, Goran Dragic, Eric Bledsoe, Reggie Jackson, Isiah Thomas, Rajon Rondo, Brandon Knight, MCW, Ty Lawson, and Deron Williams were all the top PGs that changed teams in the last 3 seasons and the best pick with the least protection within the next 4 years and the best player that these teams got in return were the Lakers' pick (which has a great chance of staying in their control) and Enes Kanter.... There's not exactly a great trade market during the golden age of PGs."

Jeffrey is firmly in the "he's worth more to the Hawks than what any team is willing to offer for him" territory.

I find it hard to believe that there aren't teams dying to have Jeff on their team.   Those guys who changed teams in the last 3 years all have much bigger issues that Jeff except for Lowry.   I would think the Knicks and Rockets would see him as a player that could put them over the edge.   Dallas and Indy could use him too but i doubt they are looking.   

If we could get a real scorer on the wing in return i might be interested.   But if Jeff returns to form that 1-2 punch of Jeff and Dennis is really nice to have. 

6 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I find it hard to believe that there aren't teams dying to have Jeff on their team.   Those guys who changed teams in the last 3 years all have much bigger issues that Jeff except for Lowry.   I would think the Knicks and Rockets would see him as a player that could put them over the edge.   Dallas and Indy could use him too but i doubt they are looking.   

If we could get a real scorer on the wing in return i might be interested.   But if Jeff returns to form that 1-2 punch of Jeff and Dennis is really nice to have. 

Sometimes we take our own players for granted. I love having a 2 headed monster at the pg position. I just feel like we were always starved as a franchise to get a good pg. Now that we have two of them, we want to trade one? I dunno, I like Jeff a lot and hope he stays a Hawk unless a trade comes up that we simply cannot pass on.

12 hours ago, bumpyphish1 said:

6 points and 8 assists on 3-8 shooting vs. Magic in 17 mins.

15 points, 10 assists, and 3 steals on 6-9 shooting vs. Nets in 19 mins.

16 points and 5 boards on 6-10 shooting vs. Bucks in 19 mins.

13 points, 8 assists, and 2 steals on 5-11 shooting vs. Bulls in 21 mins.

....that's 4 of our last 5 games.  I threw out Brooklyn b/c Dennis stunk, everyone stunk.

Dennis is seriously playing GREAT lately.  There is no doubt in my mind he is the future PG of this franchise if we are not IDIOTS.  

And yes, I'd be for trading Teague now because he will lose value the closer he gets to the last year of his contract, and I don't think this team is ready to contend this year anyways.  I hope I'm wrong, but assuming I'm not, if Dennis got starter's minutes the rest of this year, he'd be as good as Teague is now by next season.

Thoughts?  Agree?  Madness?

I agree. Trade teague while he has value for a rebounding big. i would be on the phone with philadelphia if i were Hawks management. I wonder if they would bite on a Teague/Taveres or Teague/Splitter for Nerlens Noel??  The Hawks have THREE point guards.  Mack can back up Dennis.... The problem is philly isnt trying to pay anybody...

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Jody23 said:

The Hawks can't wait too long to make a decision on this as you don't want to risk a guy losing value, teams lowballing you because they know you can't keep both with both heading for free agency in some capacity.  My guess is they shouldn't wait past this offseason.  In the end, they will have to accept some risk in whether they choose to keep Dennis or keep Jeff.  

Sort of what I'm afraid the Hawks will do.  Let Teague play out this season and when his value declines even more (if he's not healthy) then try and trade him and get less than we could today.

It is clear this team isn't a Championship contender at the moment so some sort of move needs to happen.

Problem is, as Mace alluded to, Teague is probably more valuable to us than others. I think Dragic fetched a decent haul on an expiring (2 1st rounders), but the list of things I'd trade Teague (or Schröder, for that matter) is fairly slim. Only way I'm dealing one of the two guards is for a straight up superstar PG (Paul or Westbrook, basically) or a badass, all-star caliber wing player (Hayward, Gallo, Batum, if I'm dreaming even harder Butler or Melo). Obviously, that's unlikely.

I think swinging our supporting pieces for a wing upgrade and/or bench upgrade might be more worth it. Also, sitting on the capspace ain't the worst idea in the world either.

Edited by TheFuzz

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

If you think so Little of Jeff, Don't you think the other teams tha you're proposing trading him to have very little thoughts of him too?  Either You're admitting that you're wrong about Jeff or you're admitting that you don't understand how trades work?  IF you're admitting that you're wrong about Jeff, then why should we trade him?

As far as Schröder is concerned, I think a lot of you guys would talk about how Good Mack could be as Starter if we didn't have a Schröder.  That's the problem.  Have you seen Dennis in the last two playoffs?  When the game counts, his mindset or aggressiveness is just plain selfish HERO Ball.  That doesn't win.  Until we have seen differently, I wouldn't trust Dennis starting for my rec league Church team.

3 minutes ago, TheFuzz said:

I think Dragic fetched a decent haul on an expiring (2 1st rounders)

Well I did mention the protections and years.  Dragic fetched a top 7 protected pick in 2018 and unprotected pick in 2021 but given the lack of immediate gratification that this board whined over with the Payne trade I figured that wouldn't be considered a suitable return.

Teague became a starter in his 3rd year and his numbers before didn't look very impressive.

Dennis doubles them at the moment (but he shoots with a lower percentage)

I didn't see Jeff play in his early years and don't know how he looked on the court, but his numbers don't tell me why Dennis shouldn't be able to start for a NBA team.

I think he needed the first year to become familiar with living in the US. His 2nd year was more like his true rookie year (get used to 80 games) what may be the reason for his worse play at the end of the season.

One could say the next step is to do it the whole season - that's what I expect him to do now. But if he isn"t allowed to start at least next season I would say he is hold back and it would hurt his development.

But has to recognize he has two players who have the abilities and the ego to start in this league. The only chance to keep both is, to give Thema a real chance to win a championship. And I don't know how to make this happen without using one of them to close holes at rebounding or at wing in a trade.

Oh they could put a lot of money in the table for both since the have full bird rights but it seems new ownership doesn't want to pay a lot tax so IMO it's unlikely.

One has to be traded or at least one of them will leave the team for nothing once the contract expires. Worst case would be Jeff after next season and Dennis the year after (QO like Monroe)...

Edited by rd79
  • Like 1

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, Diesel said:

If you think so Little of Jeff, Don't you think the other teams tha you're proposing trading him to have very little thoughts of him too?  Either You're admitting that you're wrong about Jeff or you're admitting that you don't understand how trades work?  IF you're admitting that you're wrong about Jeff, then why should we trade him?

As far as Schröder is concerned, I think a lot of you guys would talk about how Good Mack could be as Starter if we didn't have a Schröder.  That's the problem.  Have you seen Dennis in the last two playoffs?  When the game counts, his mindset or aggressiveness is just plain selfish HERO Ball.  That doesn't win.  Until we have seen differently, I wouldn't trust Dennis starting for my rec league Church team.

I'm not sure where in my post you got that i think little of Jeff.   He's one of my favorite players and I think he's friggin awesome.   My point (which i guess i didn't make well) is that other teams would probably be willing to give up a fair amount for him.     Maybe you're getting me confused with another post.    

54 minutes ago, Diesel said:

1. He was a rookie

2. Only DMC played worth a lick in the playoffs.

3. Dennis is still growing into his role.  I'd rather him be aggressive and make mistakes than sleep walk and act as if he doesn't care.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, benhillboy said:

And why the hell BSPN chose Jeff as the face to represent us in their little promo tonight I don't know.  Paul then Al obviously.  Hell, I'd put #Budface on there before Jeff.

I thought of this as well. Trillsap was the first Hawk I would put to represent Atlanta. This just shows us much ESPN pays attention to the Hawks. 

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

He was a rookie that was not getting any playing time in 13/14, in 14/15, he was a Euro player that was getting his first taste of a very long American season and was basically a rookie then.

And I’ll say it time and time again, Shelvin Mack’s supporters COMICALLY overrate him. Mack is not an NBA player at all and those that think he is are just his fans.

• Like 1