• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Humphries > Splitter

ATLiott

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, High5 said:

Man, you're really clinging to this "I told ya so" thing with Splitter. I guess it's a fair play after all the crow you had to eat on Thabo last season. I think you're wrong about Splitter (#3 at best is hilarious), too, but unfortunately he wasn't able to stay healthy enough to show what he could do.

Agree that it is tough to evaluate when he was injured for the whole season.  D is right that you can't crap on him for trying to play through it before being forced to throw in the towel.  Not a coincidence that this will be the first season he has ever missed all the playoffs and by far his career worst by basically every measure.  He was good enough to start for the Spurs 74.5% of regular season and 81.6% of playoff games he played for the Spurs from 2012-13 to 2014-15 so I'd use Pops as a reference to say he is no third stringer (even though he is more Luc Longley than Tim Duncan).  

He should have been a valuable big off the bench but instead struggled through health problems until he had to bow out.  We saw his career low and like many hurt players it wasn't real good -- but we were still significantly better with him even at his reduced self so I'm not ready to say a normal Splitter wouldn't have been a big part of this team.

• Like 4

• Premium Member

What crow did I eat on Thabo, exactly? He was flat out garbage for the first several months of that season before finally turning it around. I always call them like I see them. Same thing when we traded for DNP-CD. I said he was crap on the Knicks and he has been crap here. When they actually show me something and do it more than once on a blue moon I give them the credit they have earned.

16 hours ago, AHF said:

Agree that it is tough to evaluate when he was injured for the whole season.  D is right that you can't crap on him for trying to play through it before being forced to throw in the towel.  Not a coincidence that this will be the first season he has ever missed all the playoffs and by far his career worst by basically every measure.  He was good enough to start for the Spurs 74.5% of regular season and 81.6% of playoff games he played for the Spurs from 2012-13 to 2014-15 so I'd use Pops as a reference to say he is no third stringer (even though he is more Luc Longley than Tim Duncan).  

He should have been a valuable big off the bench but instead struggled through health problems until he had to bow out.  We saw his career low and like many hurt players it wasn't real good -- but we were still significantly better with him even at his reduced self so I'm not ready to say a normal Splitter wouldn't have been a big part of this team.

He was still a better big thanks Muscala even though he was hurt for most of the year is correct and a plus at the end of the day.  The only issue is his salary took away our ability to sign a wingman 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

He was still a better big thanks Muscala even though he was hurt for most of the year is correct and a plus at the end of the day.  The only issue is his salary took away our ability to sign a wingman 

His salary seems too much for his production even if healthy.   But my biggest issue with Splitter is he's not the kind of big we need off the bench.   Humphries is a welcome step in the right direction.   Splitter isn't a physical center and given our team full of finesse players we need a big physical guy to come in and stop the layup drill at times.  

3 hours ago, macdaddy said:

His salary seems too much for his production even if healthy.   But my biggest issue with Splitter is he's not the kind of big we need off the bench.   Humphries is a welcome step in the right direction.   Splitter isn't a physical center and given our team full of finesse players we need a big physical guy to come in and stop the layup drill at times.  

I love Humphries activity/energy.  That's what we needed.  Wonder if there are any bought-out wangs that could help us in that area.  Marcus Thornton?  Probably not, he has a rep as a ballhog.  Dorell Wright maybe?

ETA: Looks like Thornton's signing in WAS.

On 3/8/2016 at 11:20 AM, benhillboy said:

It's pretty simple: he moves guys, but they can't move him.  He'll give a Big a simple push out the paint and they respect his strength and try to finesse around him.  Problem is he's not a guy you can finesse.  

Players look at Humphries' boy band face and his past relationship with The Queen of Wh@res and think he's some kind of chump.  Dude is straight rugged.  Taking a liking to Musky, he may be a little throwed off too, which is a good thing.

His short arms may be a problem versus some but he boxes out well, hopefully drawing more over-the-back fouls for the team.

He made a few more quick reads, passes, and movements that show he's grasping the offense quickly.  Refs screwed him out of a clear shooting foul on a slash.  I didn't like it.

Humphries actually has a 7'1 wingspan.....:blink:

• Like 1

On 3/8/2016 at 2:29 PM, AHF said:

IF, IF, IF, and only IF Bud were to start letting his bigs play more in the paint, i wouldnt mind them keeping both Splitter and Humphries.  I want DEPTH up front. I want the Hawks to start BANGING on other teams in the paint. I think a healthy Splitter, with Humphries,  Sap and Horford up front is nice if used correctly. They can deploy big lineups at teams if they wanted to AND still have the big shooters on the floor that they like.

On 3/9/2016 at 9:44 AM, macdaddy said:

His salary is fine, it's just we need his salary for better fits in other areas

• Like 1

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

His salary is fine, it's just we need his salary for better fits in other areas

Very true and that is probably the biggest reason I think he has been such a disappointment. Not only did he not really help our front court for various reasons, but that 8 million would be nice to have to help our wing depth.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2016 at 10:06 PM, ATLHawks3 said:

I really can't say this yet because Splitter had been dealing with that hip injury since Novemeber and it severely hurt his production on the court. 

Yeah when Splitter was playing well in SA he was great defender. I just wonder will this end his career.

With Keke Lyles and co. I'm eager to see if they can get Splitter to complete health. If so, he could be a beast like he was in San Antonio. He was banged up this whole year so I don't think we saw the real Splitter, unfortunately for us.

9 hours ago, benhillboy said:

That isn't very long IMO.  There are forwards (Giannis, 7'3") and guards (Thabo, 7'2") longer.  I'm sure his vertical isn't very impressive either, or thrill me...:blink:

Nope, it isn't very long, nor is it short like you assumed. His vertical is 36", which also ain't bad for a white dude. Better wingspan and vertical than Bawse, same wingspan and better vertical than Sap. Stereotypes are best left to audio salesmen :drinks:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, benhillboy said:

That isn't very long IMO.  There are forwards (Giannis, 7'3") and guards (Thabo, 7'2") longer.  I'm sure his vertical isn't very impressive either, or thrill me...:blink:

Um well Kris was a world-class swimmer growing up better than Michael Phelps really http://www.inquisitr.com/290383/kris-humphires-was-once-a-better-swimmer-than-michael-phelps/

You know who else was an awesome swimmer? Tim Duncan. https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/tim-duncan-the-former-swimmer/

Tim = Swim = Championship. Kris also swam and had faster times. Air go Kris is better than Tim Duncan here fokls, championship here we come.