• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

More Crowd Support at Philips Tonight: Schröder or Thomas?

yardbird

It was "interesting" to see Boston fans targeting Dennis as vociferously as they did in Game 4, when Thomas clearly instigated the Game 3 confrontation and should have been suspended.  Having attended every playoff game since 2008 (and 90% of regular season games) until this year, when I canceled season tickets in protest over the lack of roster improvement to compete with Cleveland, I expect way too many Boston/Isaiah Thomas fans tonight, giving Boston a neutral court at best.

At Philips tonight, will the crowd noise from Boston fans give Thomas a boost, whereas the boos from Boston fans clearly intimidated Dennis (and everyone else on the Hawks but Millsap) at TD Garden? 

There are traditionally a lot of Celtics fans at the games here in Atlanta.  It's the same when the Lakers or, with baseball, when the Cubs come to town.  It just goes with the territory of being a city a with a lot of transplants due to a good standard of living.

Having said that, the Hawks fans will be the majority in attendance and if the Hawks give the fans something to cheer about then nobody will hear the Celtics fans.  Phillips can be one of the most intimidating places to play during the playoffs when the Hawks are rolling.

I eggspect Thomas to be adorned with "M-V-P" chants when he gets to the FT line.

I see him coming out early and really putting his stamp on this series.  That's what great players do, ya know.  The question isn't whether he or Dennis will get the most support.  The question is when do the piddling Hawks "fans" turn on the home-team(sic), realize they're witnessing greatness and give the man the standing ovation(s) he deserves.

Have a feeling most of the Boston transplants are going to be elsewhere unless that other game is early, let me check...

It isn't, I think most of the Boston transplants are going to be at Turner Field instead. That place was 80% Boston fans last night.

Edited by Lurker

• Moderators

Thomas should get booed mercilessly.   I mean that was a cheap friggin shot that he didn't even own up to.   Things should have gotten rougher for him last game but didn't of course.   Lamar can't get off the bench for 2 minutes for a few cheap fouls?

34 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Thomas should get booed mercilessly.   I mean that was a cheap friggin shot that he didn't even own up to.   Things should have gotten rougher for him last game but didn't of course.   Lamar can't get off the bench for 2 minutes for a few cheap fouls?

Well, after all, all great players are booed in opposing gyms.  Why should the IT-man be any different?

M-V-IT! M-V-IT! M-V-IT!

1 minute ago, bumpyphish1 said:

Nah just boos.  Or something about him being a tiny little b*t7h

No, man.  Don't stoke the fires of the IT-guy.  He's already gonna roast Jeff and DMike all night long like Lionel Ritchie.

Just squeeze into your extra-smedium IT shirsey and cheer him on like a real fan.

1 minute ago, kg01 said:

No, man.  Don't stoke the fires of the IT-guy.  He's already gonna roast Jeff and DMike all night long like Lionel Ritchie.

Just squeeze into your extra-smedium IT shirsey and cheer him on like a real fan.

???

Stoke the fires.  I have confidence our team and D will back the fans up.

4 minutes ago, bumpyphish1 said:

???

Stoke the fires.  I have confidence our team and D will back the fans up.

You can't stop the IT-guy, you can only hope he doesn't choose to desmolish your team.

13 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Dr. Evil= Brad Stevens

Scotty- Marcus Smart

Gold member= Jonas Jerebko

Mini me= IT

A few turnovers from IT and we could see this tonight...move dooooown the bench IT..

kg01, the IT man ain't no star.  He's Nate Robinson with a license to shoot.  I expect the Cs will be good next year when they get the Brooklyn pick and add to the roster, and he will be the 6th man he should be now.  Cs should have been swept, and the fact the series is tied says a lot more about the Hawks not playing to their talent level and, frankly, Stevens outcoaching Bud (so far) than it does about the Celts.  First two games they looked like a lottery team, then they squeaked out two at home.  I wouldn't put it past my Hawks to find a way to lose the series, but I'm certainly not impressed with what Boston has shown at all.  Neither team has a prayer next round, unfortunately.

In Atlanta sports history, it always is made harder than it should be and if they face a team actually playing at an elite level in the playoffs, it will be ugly.

But this is about one thing and one thing only, Teague's totally atrocious off ball defense, and it's not like he isn't trying, he can't concentrate long enough to defend Thomas playing off the ball and Atlanta is completely refusing to take Teague off him.

Edited by Lurker

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, LamarHampton said:

the crowd was 99% for Teague. Every time Thomas touched the ball he was booed very very very loudly. And surprisingly few Boston fans in the crowd at all. Crowd was stellar.

I am so glad to see the crowd backing our Hawks and booing Isiah (am I doing this right?...checks other thread).  I think it may have actually gotten to him hearing the boos.  He did not play well at all.  Although I am sure we made some adjustments also.

• Like 1