• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hit The Road Jack

HawkItus

Hawks waive veteran Jack, roster at 17

Chris Vivlamore

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

4:52 p.m Thursday, Oct. 20, 2016  Atlanta Hawks

HAWKS

Jarrett Jack takes questions during Hawks media day in September. The veteran point guard was waived Thursday. Curtis Compton /ccompton@ajc.com

The Hawks waived veteran Jarrett Jack on Thursday. The release of the veteran point guard, who has been unable to practice as he returns from torn right knee ligaments, reduced the training camp roster 17 players.

Jack suffered the injury last season as a member of the Nets and has been rehabbing during training camp. He missed all seven of the Hawks’ exhibition games this preseason.

Jack agreed to a one-year, veteran-minimum contract worth $980,431 this summer after the Nets waived the 6-foot-3 guard and his $6.3 million contract in June making him an unrestricted free agent. His guaranteed salary will count against the Hawks’ cap.

The Hawks have only Will Bynum and Josh Magette as point guards on the training camp roster behind starter Dennis Schröder and backup Malcolm Delaney. Bynum and Magette remain long shots to make the final roster so the Hawks could go into the season with just Schröder and Delaney as point guards.

The Hawks’ depth in the front court has been hurt with the injuries to Tiago Splitter and to a lesser degree Paul Millsap and Mike Scott. The Hawks were cautiously optimistic that Splitter would be ready after missing most of last season following hip surgery. However, the reserve center will now miss extended time with a right hamstring strain. Millsap missed the first three-plus weeks of training camp after undergoing a non-surgical procedure on his right knee. He will play in just his second exhibition game tonight in the Hawks’ preseason finale. Scott has been slowed by a sore left knee that has limited him in training camp.

If Bynum and Magette are the final players released or barring a trade, center Edy Tavares would be on the opening-day roster adding depth to the front court. The Hawks must trim their roster to a maximum of 15 players by Oct. 26, the day before the season opener.

Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer confirmed this week that Jack would not be ready for the start of the regular season. He has yet to take part in contact portions of practice. Jack said last week that he was close to such workouts.

“We are actively progressing,” Jack said of his rehabilitation. “I can tell you me knee feels 100 times better this month than it did last month. Coach and (the staff) are on me about rushing to get back. They tell me to take my time. They’d rather have me for the longer stretch of the season than just this early part. I’m going to take it day by day. Patience isn’t something I was blessed with so I’m going to do my best until the time is right to step back on the court.”

Jack was recently inducted into the Georgia Tech Sports Hall of Fame. He was part of the Yellow Jackets’ run to the 2004 NCAA Tournament’s national championship game. In 11 NBA season, Jack played for the Portland, Indiana, New Orleans, Golden State, Cleveland and Brooklyn after being selected in the first round (No. 22) of the 2005 NBA Draft. He averaged 11.1 points, 4.5 assists and 2.9 rebounds in 28.1 minutes over his 803 career games.

• Like 1

First off, I'm very upset. I am one of the biggest Jack supporters. I'm not sure why you would waive a guy like Jack unless you knew he might not be ready this season. We are deep enough that we could have kept him around for the stretch run in February and March when things matter most. 

Also, kudos to @JayBirdHawk. She called it. Also, JB I thought you were black lol... Then you send a white gif...very confusing.

Lastly, if a team that is our rival picks up Jack I'm gonna lose it. 

7 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

First off, I'm very upset. I am one of the biggest Jack supporters. I'm not sure why you would waive a guy like Jack unless you knew he might not be ready this season. We are deep enough that we could have kept him around for the stretch run in February and March when things matter most. 

Also, kudos to @JayBirdHawk. She called it. Also, JB I thought you were black lol... Then you send a white gif...very confusing.

Lastly, if a team that is our rival picks up Jack I'm gonna lose it. 

You waive Jack because  he isn't ready to play.  We needed to cut someone.  Like I said before with Splitter injured, I doubt Bud was ready to rely on Edy  as primary backup. With Dwight's foul troubles and his inabilty to hit freethrows we needed more big men in the rotation.  

My very first post on cutting Jack was about letting him rehab until later in the season, then bringing him back for the stretch run when he is needed most.  By then we'll know more about our big men rotation.

How do you know I'm not Asian :biggrin:? I gotta keep the Squawk  guessing (I picked the 1st gif that portrayed my feelings)

Lol true. I like to keepem guessing too. Right now I think the squawk is wondering if I'm more like suge Knight or Ken Jeong. 

Ps Let me go on record by saying that the Jack move was a mistake. IMO

1 minute ago, Spud2Nique said:

Lol true. I like to keepem guessing too. Right now I think the squawk is wondering if I'm more like suge Knight or Ken Jeong. 

Ps Let me go on record by saying that the Jack move was a mistake. IMO

4.gif?w=351&h=262

Not sure why Bird gotta laugh at my sadness.  This cut got me right in tha feels.  I knew it had to happen.  I knew it made sense.  Still, I just ....

dmbrdy

I'm sure we'll see you again.  STTE: "For a late season addition, the Hawks went to Jarrett ..."

And, in case you're wondering, I picked that gif 'cause I'm identifying as a white dude this week.  Is that offensive?  Nzinga??!

• Premium Member

I was looking forward to seeing JJ in a Hawks uni. Hopefully he will be back with us at some point this season. We kept Stackhouse and EB around a few years ago as a "player/coach" so at least we are deep enough where we don't have anyone like that on the roster anymore.

13 minutes ago, GameTime said:

From what i've seen from Delaney he is more of an undersized SG than a PG. I guess Bud decided Bembry could play the position and be our #3 PG for now.

Well, then Delaney fits exactly the role that Dennis did on the bench last year -- the scoring sparkplug of the backup unit. I don't think it's a coincidence that Delaney is a capable scorer and was wanted as our backup PG by this staff.

Regarding Jack, I've been thinking this might be the case for a few days too. I imagine the gameplan is to keep tabs on Jack's rehab, wait for Splitter to return to health, then possibly make a move and bring Jack back once he's healthy.

I also wonder how much Scott's legal situation in a few monghs might solve the roster crunch for us.

Now we know why they were experimenting with THjr at PG in spots. I guess the emergency backup PG will come from some combination of him, Bemby, and Baze. If nothing else, perhaps this will open up some minutes for one of the rookies in the rotation, at least occassionally.

11 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

Shocked by this ... I liked what he brought ... his veteran leadership, his size at point guard and his smarts ... well I guess Moose, Scott and Edy are safe

I do to, but he can't do those things if he's not physically able to play.