• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks release Edy ; Sign Ryan Kelly

JohnnyCASH

6 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Well, I wouldn't say it was their 'whiteness' that was the issue.  That said, I have no idea what people are liking about Kelly.  He's soft.  Totally soft.  Scott, for all his warts (which are basically the same warts as Kelly's) at least gives us something defensively.  Kelly doesn't.  Never has, never will.

I'm probably overreacting to this news, but I strongly disagree with how Bud uses PF's and Centers and the type of players he likes at those positions. I was optimistic to some degree that Edy and Dwight were signs that he was going to factor those type of players into his system more. But it's just not going to happen.

Edited by Hotlanta1981
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

I'm probably overreacting to this news, but I strongly disagree with how Bud uses PF's and Centers and the type of players he likes at those positions. I was optimistic to some degree that Edy and Dwight were signs that he was going to factor those type of players into his system more. But it's just not going to happen.

I'd say the two are unrelated.  Signing Dwight was an acknowledgment that we need beef on the team.

Walter was not that.  He was a poor defender overall, slow laterally, foul prone and had no offensive game.  Totally fine with his release.  Wish him well.

I think this alsso has more to do with Moose getting better with offense than Edy being a project yea he is, but as stated before, thee guys all improved, but we couldnt keep all of them, I think this is the right move, surprising to say that Moose may be better than we think he is and will get a chance to show it, it looks like, not a bad thing guys. 

9 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I'd say the two are unrelated.  Signing Dwight was an acknowledgment that we need beef on the team.

Walter was not that.  He was a poor defender overall, slow laterally, foul prone and had no offensive game.  Totally fine with his release.  Wish him well.

Signing Dwight was the Hawks signing the biggest name they could get. He isn't anywhere near the defender he was 5 years ago. He is kind of slow now on that end of the floor and he doesn't fit Bud's offensive scheme. That's how I'm seeing it now. 

Edited by Hotlanta1981
  • Like 1

Yeah I know I'm a homer but feeling that Bud was good with nineteen rebounds by Dwight on opening night. That can fit into just about any scheme offensively or defensively and is an answer to half the problems that knocked us out of the playoffs versus the LeBrons. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Yeah I know I'm a homer but feeling that Bud was good with nineteen rebounds by Dwight on opening night. That can fit into just about any scheme offensively or defensively and is an answer to half the problems that knocked us out of the playoffs versus the LeBrons. 

I highly doubt that Dwight is going to stay happy just by rebounding and being a decoy. 

Not a fan of this move. Not sure why everyone is saying Walter  showed nothing. He played well the last two summer leagues and I thought he played well in pre season. He's been given very few regular season minutes, so it's hard for me to judge him on that. Moose has been around with little contributions much longer and has looked terrible in the last two summer leagues. It seems  the light has  come on for him, but this Edy  move seems odd to me for the very same reason. What the F do we need Ryan Kelly for? He's a duplication of Moose and Mike Scott. 

IMO given the minutes I do believe Edy can rebound and block shots at a NBA level. I've seen enough to believe he can do that. That's essentialy all Rudy Gobert does. Any offense you get is Gravy and I think he has a chance to be a decent catch and shoot guy unlike Gobert. Mutumbo  was in this mold  too. Maybe the game has passed these guys by but I disagree. Steven Adams, Kendrick Perkins the list goes on.

Who plays the Dwight rim protection role if he gets hurt? Ryan Kelly ain't walking through that door. Edy was the other shot changer on the team. 

• Like 2

vor einer Stunde, aali34 sagte:

I liked Walter, but he would be useless against small ball teams. Look what happened to Tim Duncan last year, he was benched right before tip-off against the warriors when the press released that Bogut wasn't playing that game. Size doesn't mean talent.

This + he doesnt have the frame to bang either. Always found him a curious pick. Name one player in the NBA physically(lenght, frame, hops) like him?

• Premium Member

I'm not saying I approve of this move, I didnt. I thought Walter could be an interesting piece if he panned out. But there is just so much patience you can put on a player. This is what also happened with Lamar Patterson( to be fair, he had way less potential), and we replaced him with much better players in Bembry and Prince. This to me just says that the Hawks are probably gonna draft a center instead of a power forward in the upcoming draft. He was a second round pick, I was more mad about Adriean Payne because we wasted the 15th pick of that draft.

Jarrett Allen.....

Edited by aali34

56 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

Signing Dwight was the Hawks signing the biggest name they could get. He isn't anywhere near the defender he was 5 years ago. He is kind of slow now on that end of the floor and he doesn't fit Bud's offensive scheme. That's how I'm seeing it now. 

Me too. I am not hype by him at all. If our bench wasn't so good and our guards didn't improve as much as they did, I would be more pissed about that signing. 

10 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Me too. I am not hype by him at all. If our bench wasn't so good and our guards didn't improve as much as they did, I would be more pissed about that signing. 

Dwight is basically Deke with about half the defense at this point. He can be useful if he accepts that he isn't going to be a star scorer at this point. Will he accept that role is the question.

• Moderators

I hate this for Edy but i'll say this.   Part of the reason we got smoked by the Cavs was guys like Frye coming in and jacking 3s.    Dwight and Kris can neutralize Tristan.   Having a big who can shoot off the bench will be a good thing down the road.   

A lot has happened in such a very short time. Finding out Scott will be out for four weeks or more and Moose is playing like a good rotational center.  A change in the roster. 3-0 start. Crazy stuff. Love the crazy NBA. 

On 10/31/2016 at 2:37 PM, capstone21 said:

Exactly ... he was left over in Europe to develop and then we brought him over here for a couple years ... there is only so long you invest in someone before deciding that he is not improving enough to contribute ... he is 7'3 but his talent does not equal his height.

Neither does Kelly's.