• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How long until Bembry can be considered a starter?

JTB

Bembry  seems to be solid a defender, good finisher at the rim, and a possible excellent playmaker with his passing ability if given more playing time.

So If Bembry shot improves to average will that be the icing on the cake to start him at SG so we can bring THJ off the bench and trade Baze?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, JTB said:

Bembry  seems to be solid a defender, good finisher at the rim, and a possible excellent playmaker with his passing ability if given more playing time.

So If Bembry shot improves to average will that be the icing on the cake to start him at SG so we can bring THJ off the bench and trade Baze?

Too early to tell. I'd havr to see the direction of the team with the new GM.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I'd love for Bembry to be a start but i'm skeptical about him be able to shoot well in the nba.   If he could develop a 3 point shot then yes i'd love to have him as a starter.  That's a big if though.   He was 1-18 for the season and only shot in the mid 20s his last year of college.  His rookie year he had 47 fg attempts and only made 6 from outside the lane.   Very small sample size though and with some confidence maybe...

• Like 3

If Bud shows a little more open mindedness can see Bembry as the first backup to any of the three positions he plays though there are higher risks at point. Still believe he showed prowess at point and actually showed he can swing a game slowing down a heavy ball handler. Don't believe he'll start anytime soon at any position with Bud calling the shots because to develop that three will take some time since its never been in his repertoire, maybe a coupe of seasons from now he'll have one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

I'd love for Bembry to be a start but i'm skeptical about him be able to shoot well in the nba.   If he could develop a 3 point shot then yes i'd love to have him as a starter.  That's a big if though.   He was 1-18 for the season and only shot in the mid 20s his last year of college.  His rookie year he had 47 fg attempts and only made 6 from outside the lane.   Very small sample size though and with some confidence maybe...

35 minutes ago, Thomas said:

If Bud shows a little more open mindedness can see Bembry as the first backup to any of the three positions he plays though there are higher risks at point. Still believe he showed prowess at point and actually showed he can swing a game slowing down a heavy ball handler. Don't believe he'll start anytime soon at any position with Bud calling the shots because to develop that three will take some time since its never been in his repertoire, maybe a coupe of seasons from now he'll have one.

Yup I'm sure you both are right just sucks cause he seems to have everything else at a solid level except that 3 ball. I can't blame bud or any Coach for not starting him due to that though...this new era of the NBA requires all players to be able to shoot and if you can't then you're going to have a lot of trouble trying to move forward.

all in all I think he's extremely confident but man I miss the good ol Andre Millers of the league! He couldn't hit a 3 to save his life but he could do everything else needed to be a legitimate starter. That's how I see Bembry, he's going to pickup everything else quicker before he gets that 3 ball down to atleast being decent.

• Like 2

I see him as a Childress type at least in the near future (and no, it's not just the fro).

If he works hard like Hardaway Jr for a couple season he might be able to work his way into the lineup but I see him more as a good bench player at his peak.  6th or 7th man type.

• Like 1

He's best paired with a guard who can thrive playing offball a bit, letting him get the ball handling responsibilities (THJ rather than Dennis). So I don't see him starting unless we move Dennis (very unlikely). He'll be a nice role player though.

• Like 1

In the d league he shot the  three at a decent clip 37.5% I believe.  I think a couple of seasons with the Hawks shooting coaches and his three point shot will be serviceable.  I'm all for having him as the backup point if he gets his 3 pt shooting down. 

• Like 2

Issue I saw with Bembry isn't just that he can't shoot, he has zero confidence to even put a shot up.  We're talking extreme Thabo levels of hesitating on an open shot only to dribble into traffic.  Key part of his development won't just be working on his shot but also just being a threat to attempt it before we can begin talking about starting.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, MaceCase said:

Issue I saw with Bembry isn't just that he can't shoot, he has zero confidence to even put a shot up.  We're talking extreme Thabo levels of hesitating on an open shot only to dribble into traffic.  Key part of his development won't just be working on his shot but also just being a threat to attempt it before we can begin talking about starting.

I agree...now...that Pinot noir isn't gonna drink itself...:-|

8 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

How long before Bembry starts depends on how many years Bud has left on his contract

Don't tell me you are one of the fans that suggested the Hawks fire Bud to hire Mark Jackson.

11 hours ago, KB21 said:

Don't tell me you are one of the fans that suggested the Hawks fire Bud to hire Mark Jackson.

Where they do that at?

Havent seen enough of Bembry yet tho (Bud!). All I know is he's pretty smart and team-oriented.  Good launching point.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

AJC blog does. They said Bud is the main reason the Hawks lost against Washington this year and the Hawks win that series if Muscala plays zero mins and Dwight is treated more like a star caliber player by the team.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2017 at 8:38 AM, benhillboy said:

Where they do that at?

Clarenton Crawford ring a bell? Part of the Wes Wilcox saga. A whole bunch of posts about that suggestion of Mark Jackson by Crawford was discussed on the Squawk a while back. Don't remember any takers off hand.

At an early December chalk talk, I made a self-deprecating comment at my own expense regarding my family, which is multi-racial. This joke offended Clarenton Crawford and his wife and for that, I apologize," he said. Sources with knowledge of the Hawks' thinking told ESPN that the team's brass believes Wilcox told a joke that didn't resonate, and that the aggrieved season-ticket holder was angry Wilcox brushed off the suggestion of firing Budenholzer and replacing him with former? Golden State Warriors?coach Mark Jackson, an ESPN game analyst.

It was supposedly at a season ticket holder meeting with the front office/Wes Wilcox.  The fact that anyone would suggest Mark Jackson over Mike Budenholzer tells me what I need to know.  Bud is a top 10 coach in the NBA while Jackson couldn't coach himself out of a wet paper sack.

• Like 2