Jae Crowder to Atlanta?

GameTime

Why can't the Celtics take on anymore salary?  With Hayward they are sitting at just over the 99 million cap.  There is luxury tax that they can pay and continue to be over the cap?  Cleveland is at like 136 million in salaries right now.  Did the Boston owner make it clear they wont go into the luxury tax?

The can take on more salary but it now gets a bit more challenging.  They can resign their own free agents....but since the GH deal is currently a signing, it effectively means they can't resign their own free agents. If they rework it to a sign and trade....yes they can sign their own.  

Their free agents are

Amir Johnson (signed to Philly),

Tyler Zeller,

Jonas Jerebko,

Kelly Olynyk,

James Young,

Gerald Green.

League rules allow you to resign your own free agents without regard to the cap. However, those signing are counted before your other team signings.  So if they want Olynyk back, Zeller, Jerebko....those signings count first and then there is no room for Hayward.  Now to complicate things...cap holds exist on those players (except Johnson).  Therefore before the Hayward deal goes through, they'll need to renounce those free agents entirely or complete a sign n trade elsewhere.  Lastly, they could hold the Hayward deal until these other players sign elsewhere.  Either way...Olynyk, Green, Zeller are gone.  This signing does not make Boston miles better. Their bench just took a huge hit.

No here is where it gets dicey.  Next season, the Celtics will need to resign Bradley (currently $8mil), Thomas ($6.75 mil), Smart (3.7 mil).  Bradley is a $15 mil player at least. Thomas will get his max and Smart is an $8 mil player. This move by Boston with an aging Horford is a win this year move.  They will be treadmill after this and Bradley is probably gone next year at least.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, thecampster said:

The can take on more salary but it now gets a bit more challenging.  They can resign their own free agents....but since the GH deal is currently a signing, it effectively means they can't resign their own free agents. If they rework it to a sign and trade....yes they can sign their own.  

Their free agents are

Tyler Zeller,

Jonas Jerebko,

Kelly Olynyk,

James Young,

Gerald Green.

League rules allow you to resign your own free agents without regard to the cap. However, those signing are counted before your other team signings.  So if they want Olynyk back, Zeller, Jerebko....those signings count first and then there is no room for Hayward.  Now to complicate things...cap holds exist on those players (except Johnson).  Therefore before the Hayward deal goes through, they'll need to renounce those free agents entirely or complete a sign n trade elsewhere.  Lastly, they could hold the Hayward deal until these other players sign elsewhere.  Either way...Olynyk, Green, Zeller are gone.  This signing does not make Boston miles better. Their bench just took a huge hit.

No here is where it gets dicey.  Next season, the Celtics will need to resign Bradley (currently $8mil), Thomas ($6.75 mil), Smart (3.7 mil).  Bradley is a $15 mil player at least. Thomas will get his max and Smart is an $8 mil player. This move by Boston with an aging Horford is a win this year move.  They will be treadmill after this and Bradley is probably gone next year at least.

Just splitting hairs with you but I don't think Olynyk counts in that scenario since they renounced him.  Again, I'm all for working something out with them.  There were rumors they wanted Gasol from Memphis too via trade.  Maybe that's the 3rd team to take back salary like Bembry and give them a young piece to work with in addition to whatever Boston sends them. 

1 minute ago, Dragitoff said:

Just splitting hairs with you but I don't think Olynyk counts in that scenario since they renounced him.  Again, I'm all for working something out with them.  There were rumors they wanted Gasol from Memphis too via trade.  Maybe that's the 3rd team to take back salary like Bembry and give them a young piece to work with in addition to whatever Boston sends them. 

Nope you're right. I just had to search to see the renounce. So he doesn't count in these years numbers but it doesn't matter...the others do.

Boston's cap number before the signing was $71 million without holds. The signing takes them right to $99mil year one. They effectively can't resign the others.

• Like 3

• Moderators

From what I've read, once Boston renounces all their FAs they are close to being able to max sign Hayward but to get to a max offer they have to unload Smart, Bradley or Crowder.  Smart will be their first choice and Crowder will be their second.

6 minutes ago, AHF said:

From what I've read, once Boston renounces all their FAs they are close to being able to max sign Hayward but to get to a max offer they have to unload Smart, Bradley or Crowder.  Smart will be their first choice and Crowder will be their second.

It amazes me how other teams are seemingly able to stack their rosters and make it all work, but this team is always one player short of what is needed.

• Like 2

• Moderators
Just now, Hotlanta1981 said:

It amazes me how other teams are seemingly able to stack their rosters and make it all work, but this team is always one player short of what is needed.

Boston or Atlanta?  That label has fit both of them for a while.

• Like 2

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

While Boston probably can't beat Cleveland with what they have... Ainge usually seems to be able to get whatever he wants. Js like whatever team Lebron is on.

I've seen them miss a lot more superstars than get.  I see them missing the All-NBA guys like Kevin Durant and Jimmy Butler and settling for the borderline All-Star guys like Horford and Hayward.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, AHF said:

I've seen them miss a lot more superstars than get.  I see them missing the All-NBA guys like Kevin Durant and Jimmy Butler and settling for the borderline All-Star guys like Horford and Hayward.

I mean they're usually able to fit someone under the cap if they want them. Durant made the wise move of choosing GS instead.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

I mean they're usually able to fit someone under the cap if they want them. Durant made the wise move of choosing GS instead.

The challenge for them hasn't been fitting people onto the roster - it has been getting the most elite players interested in coming.  They've been taking 3rd tier stars.

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

Yea and Boston with all those 1st round picks at their disposal couldn't get anything done on that route so far this summer.  

Supposedly this has to do with Ainge trying to do a killer one sided deal and refusing to give up real assets. If the rumor are true he offered two firsts and Crowder for PG13 then I have no idea what the hell the Pacers were thinking in turning that deal down.

• Like 2

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Supposedly this has to do with Ainge trying to do a killer one sided deal and refusing to give up real assets. If the rumor are true he offered two firsts and Crowder for PG13 then I have no idea what the hell the Pacers were thinking in turning that deal down.

They offered that at the deadline when Indiana was keeping PG and not this offseason, though, right?  (I.e., the same time we offered 4 first round picks).  

I honestly think part of Indiana's decision making was not wanting to help Boston, though.  They could have waited and gotten as much as their sad little haul.  They chose not to wait until Boston sorted out Gordon (where they might be willing to offer more after landing him) because they didn't want to help Boston win a ring.  That is me completely speculating but it makes sense to me.  

• Premium Member
Just now, AHF said:

They offered that at the deadline when Indiana was keeping PG and not this offseason, though, right?

I heard it was offered twice. The deadline deal had the nets pick and the offseason trade had BKN and another pick for next year plus Crowder. If they really did offer that then Kevin Pritchard should be fired.

7 hours ago, thecampster said:

Their free agents are

Tyler Zeller,

Jonas Jerebko,

Kelly Olynyk,

James Young,

Gerald Green.

So yah....the sign and trade rework with Boston and Utah in the works explains away the above. Boston is going to move Crowder from their roster to free up the extra space to make it a max deal and probably one or more of their saved picks. This will give them the room to resign a player or two of their own in the mix.