• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Huge possibility Howards locker room presence got him shipped out

JTB

Was listening to NBA radio and they were talking about the 3 team trade then focused directly on the Hawks situation.

Well one of the host (I forget his name...sorry) said that his sources close to the Hawks organization told him that Howard was ok the first month in Atlanta but as soon as the Hawks began to go on long losing streaks he instantly got selfish and made the locker room uncomfortable.

He went on to say Howard started to want and somewhat demand more post touches and didn't do the things he was asked to do by the coaching staff. 

Last he said that his source told him that once the Hawks organization traded Howard they literally were screaming for joy! Lol...the idea was that Howard was not the right veteran leadership for young players to be around especially without millsap.

My Thoughts:

im not shocked judging Howards history  but rather impressed that the Hawks organization kept this under the radar for a whole season. There was not a ton of stories out there this season about Howard having a bad attitude or causing locker room problems. 

Assuming all of this is true then I'm glad Howard was traded and will admit I was extremely wrong about Howard returning home to atl. I really thought he was going to change his mindset under bud but he still has growing up to do.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, JTB said:

Was listening to NBA radio and they were talking about the 3 team trade then focused directly on the Hawks situation.

Well one of the host (I forget his name...sorry) said that his sources close to the Hawks organization told him that Howard was ok the first month in Atlanta but as soon as the Hawks began to go on long losing streaks he instantly got selfish and made the locker room uncomfortable.

He went on to say Howard started to want and somewhat demand more post touches and didn't do the things he was asked to do by the coaching staff. 

Last he said that his source told him that once the Hawks organization traded Howard they literally were screaming for joy! Lol...the idea was that Howard was not the right veteran leadership for young players to be around especially without millsap.

My Thoughts:

im not shocked judging Howards history  but rather impressed that the Hawks organization kept this under the radar for a whole season. There was not a ton of stories out there this season about Howard having a bad attitude or causing locker room problems. 

Assuming all of this is true then I'm glad Howard was traded and will admit I was extremely wrong about Howard returning home to atl. I really thought he was going to change his mindset under bud but he still has growing up to do.

Remember how he said after he was traded that he could now get back to the style that he is used to. The dude was never going to change.

• Like 4

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, aali34 said:

Damn. 

On another note, any ideas for an avatar change?

Don't everybody jump at once, but The Baze Gaze avatar is still out there for the taking! Maybe it'll bring similar luck, who knows?

Side swerve: I spotted this local lady's tweet last night.

She has only tweeted 33 times since 2009, so you know she had to really be feeling the urge to comment.

~lw3

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

There wasn't a ton of stories about it, because the Hawks beat writers have never been the types to "rock the boat".

Here's a thing about "selfishness".  There are 2 types of "selfish".  People who just want everything, and don't care about anyone or anybody else, regardless of the outcome.   Or people who want more, in order to be more successful.

A lot of people thought Russell Westbrook was a "selfish" player, when he played alongside Durant.  They felt that he should defer to him more, regardless of how successful the Thunder fared.   Once Durant left, Westbrook ( from an on the court standpoint ) became even more selfish, but not a word was said to him because people felt that he had to be selfish in order for the team to win.

It would be one thing if everyone around Dwight was balling, we were winning, and he was the one crying and whining about being more involved.   Bug if we're losing, and most everyone around him was playing like crap, and he wanted more touches to help the team win, that's the 2nd level of "selfish".

So the Hawks organization potentially blew this team up, all because one of their better players wanted a bigger impact on the game and they couldn't handle his whining?   LOL . . what in the hell do you think Dennis is going to do next season?  

He's the one that has already clashed a bit with the coach.   If they can't handle Dwight, what happens when Dennis starts taking 20 shots a game, because he feels that all of the kids around him are garbage?

If he starts to talk about doing more, and being more vocal in the locker room, are they going to pawn him off too?

When losing happens, you're not supposed to be happy or just accept that sh-t.  You're supposed to be pissed.  And if you feel that you can get the team out of the losing rut, and you're not getting a chance to do so, are you just supposed to sit there and let the team die?

I said right after the Dwight trade that if they also trade Millsap, this fan base better be patient as hell with Dennis, because he's going to want to do it all and may not play the way everyone ( and the coach ) expects him to play.

Good points I can't argue any of that but I also believe Dennis isn't as selfish as people believe and perhaps I'm wrong about that but this offense was so terrible this past season Dennis had no choice but to try to take on a bigger offense role than what was planned or sap likely wouldn't have had any help.

bud decided to start THJ way too late but Dennis and THJ worked well as a back court. I believe playing them together more we'll see major improvement.

Now I will admit that Dennis doesn't know how to play with traditional bigs which is why it's important that Collins finds his jump shot . But then again It's not that Dennis can't deliver an entry pass to the post correctly it's just that with Howard being so limited to post moves where he basically doesn't have any...you really have to give him the ball deep in the paint for him to score. The times Dennis delivered the ball to him on the baseline area near the basket Howard couldn't score...that's likely not going to be the out come with Collins just like it wasn't with millsap.

LAST THING AND THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT....for about half of the season or more the Hawks literally had two players that could successfully put the ball on the floor in the starting lineup and that was Dennis and millsap. That made this offense extremely limited. i don't know what people expected Dennis to do! There wasn't any good outside shooting, he only had one big man that set effective screens most of the time as Howard didn't commit as often as he should have.

theres a list of reasons I don't believe Dennis is a selfish player.

59 minutes ago, GrimeyKidd said:

i believe none of this happened. 

And you may be right...I'm just repeating what I heard on NBA radio. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, GrimeyKidd said:

i believe none of this happened. 

Howard said his motivation for rebounds lies in the chances he creates for his team. 

"I'm just trying my best to get as many as I can for my teammates," Howard said. "The more rebounds I get, the more opportunities we have to score. So I'm doing everything I can to help this team win."

http://www.nba.com/hawks/features/dwight-howard-rebounding-historic-leveleven-dwight-howard/

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, JTB said:

Good points I can't argue any of that but I also believe Dennis isn't as selfish as people believe and perhaps I'm wrong about that but this offense was so terrible this past season Dennis had no choice but to try to take on a bigger offense role than what was planned or sap likely wouldn't have had any help.

Dennis has always been selfish.  Even when we had Teague, Sap, Horf, and Korver.. with all those weapons, Dennis would come in and shoot us out of games.  Then... everybody would say that ... Dennis is only doing what Coach Bud wants.  The problem is that both he and Bud must go if our offense will revolve around Dennis scoring because he's not efficient and he doesn't get our offense involved. He's Monta Ellis at the PG position. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, GrimeyKidd said:

That accompanied by statements from Steve Holman. This story doesnt add up. Also.Why now? Wouldnt this have been a bigger story during the season? 

Because it's fake news.  You need to speculate why the Hawks would make such a dumb trade... so early. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

Honestly it just didn't seem like he was really even trying out there.  Hopefully this will finally humble him and he can have a nice impact for Charlotte

Averaged a double double.

His USG% was less than Lamar Patterson's, THJr, and Ilyasova....

If he wasn't trying, you have to point out where??

• Like 2

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Averaged a double double.

His USG% was less than Lamar Patterson's, THJr, and Ilyasova....

If he wasn't trying, you have to point out where??

I watched every game (well maybe 90%) of the games ... he didn't seem to try on D and he didn't really try on offense.  He did a good job rebounding but he just disappeared ... you didn't know he was out there.  It just seemed like he was going through the motions ... I was really dissappointed with his play from early on in the season.  He is an average center now.  I don't know if it is attitude which he has a rep for or the back injury but he is probably not even a top 15 center anymore.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

I watched every game (well maybe 90%) of the games ... he didn't seem to try on D and he didn't really try on offense.  He did a good job rebounding but he just disappeared ... you didn't know he was out there.  It just seemed like he was going through the motions ... I was really dissappointed with his play from early on in the season.  He is an average center now.  I don't know if it is attitude which he has a rep for or the back injury but he is probably not even a top 15 center anymore.

He did what we expected.  Rebound.   We ran no plays for him so saying he didn't try on offense is just crazy.  and Defensively, he is an older guy.   He's not 2009 Dwight.  But even with that, he still went out there and worked hard to get rebounds and give us second chances and limit the other teams second chances. 

• Like 2

• Admin
6 minutes ago, Diesel said:

He did what we expected.  Rebound.   We ran no plays for him so saying he didn't try on offense is just crazy.  and Defensively, he is an older guy.   He's not 2009 Dwight.  But even with that, he still went out there and worked hard to get rebounds and give us second chances and limit the other teams second chances. 

He didn't really fight for positioning ... I am not the biggest Dennis proponent but a lot is on Howard too ... he stood there a lot on offense.  You couldn't give him the ball.  I def know he wasn't the 2009 Howard but it is not like he could challenge more ... he didn't put in the work.   I didn't see a lot of effort from the guy.  I had high hopes but was really disappointed ... 

• Like 4