• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Maybe we should offer KCP a max

JTB

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope is an awesome ass defender. He's definitely elite or borderline elite on that side of the ball but unfortunately he only received one second team vote this year  but hey it took the league years before they respected Patrick Beverlys defense and in my opinion he's been an elite point guard defender for the past 3 years. Moving on KCP  offense leaves little to be desired. However he did shoot league avg from 3pt this past season so that's a little encouraging. 

If Schlenk and Bud believe they could improve his offense I'd be ok seeing him get the max from us. He's only 24 and the defense is already there. I wasn't too high on him but I will admit his defense is winning me over. I hate he's so inefficient but bud & staff did have THJ shooting league avg from the field and 3pt this past season all while also trying to improve his defense and he came in as a 40% shooter as well from the field (or below league avg at least).

Who's to say KCP wouldn't find his offense under bud after some months at Hawks university?

Thoughts?

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Could yet be surprised, but the money appears to be drying up, and I just don't think anyone, us included, are going to max him.

Having said that, I can imagine us being one of the finalists for his services.

My own conjecture is Schlenk is going to want to come out of this off-season with one more long-term horse than he already has in his stable.

KCP conceivably could be that.

Only player I believe who possibly could be maxed is Noel, and that, only if someone seriously projects him as Tyson Chandler.

$25m is a fair number as long as you think he's going to play at that level and be a regular difference maker within a couple of years.

And he, of course, also would qualify as that one more long-term horse.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sturt said:

I'll add this... I'd rather pay KCP what NYK paid for THjr... he's a more complete player.

We'll see I think his defense has people thinking that. While his offense isn't even close to THJs.

in my opinion you can't live up to a max deal unless your offense takes big leaps. The good thing is bud and staff have a very good developmental program at Hawks university and it seems like they have better and quicker results when the player is already good at defense (at least that's how it was for DMC)

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, JTB said:

The good thing is bud and staff have had a very good developmental program at Hawks university

Fixed that. Key to this off-season imo is whether we can finally replace what Atkinson and Snyder meant to us.

9 minutes ago, JTB said:

We'll see I think his defense has people thinking that. While his offense isn't even close to THJs.

Like I said, I favor KCP because he brings a more complete game to the table, and he's slightly younger. THjr can be an exceptional one-on-one talent at times. KCP, though, is a better ball distributor because he's not always in a shoot-first mentality.

I see KCP as someone who eventually could become Derozan, but with the additional ability both to hit the 3 with more consistency and play D with more consistency.

Could.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sturt said:

Fixed that. Key to this off-season imo is whether we can finally replace what Atkinson and Snyder meant to us.

Well I've been impressed. Buds current staff did improve THJ so there's that 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

@JTB, most of the heavy lifting on THJr's improvement came in that first year he was with us.... and while Atkinson was still here, of course.

I like the Jent hire. But now that we've also lost another coach to becoming the HC somewhere (Spahija), you may or may not have noticed, I've been banging this drum. We need not only to score another widely-regarded coach to replace Atkinson (who we never did), we now have the opportunity to build that Erie coaching staff, and one would hope, add some elite coaches to the faculty there.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, GameTime said:

We probably won't have to max and if we do it will be for a short-term 1-2 year deal.

I don't think the max is really a consideration at this point.

Years? I think it all depends on how Schlenk projects him. If he's just a guy, I think you're right, it will be a short-term deal. But at that age, and if Schlenk projects him to be a horse, I have little doubt Schlenk will go 4 years.

• Like 3

The only team that can offer KCP close to the max is Brooklyn and they'd have to release some contracts to do it.  He will probably get 10 -16  starting somewhere.  I'd love if he agreed to a reasonable deal with the Hawks.  If you have a young team that can defend, you will win some games.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, sturt said:

Like I said, I favor KCP because he brings a more complete game to the table, and he's slightly younger. THjr can be an exceptional one-on-one talent at times. KCP, though, is a better ball distributor because he's not always in a shoot-first mentality.

At least one third-party algorithm concurs... fwiw...

2017-07-09_1313.png

2017-07-09_1313.png

• Like 2

KCP's shooting % is going to keep his top offer around $15 million. Despite the defense, Hardaway is better right now (though Hawks U could help with the shooting). If Hardaway got $16.5 million starting and the number of teams that can offer that type of contract are shrinking daily....KCP's value is $15 million "max".

18 minutes ago, thecampster said:

KCP's shooting % is going to keep his top offer around $15 million. Despite the defense, Hardaway is better right now (though Hawks U could help with the shooting). If Hardaway got $16.5 million starting and the number of teams that can offer that type of contract are shrinking daily....KCP's value is $15 million "max".

Yeah I mean I get his defense is awesome but it's a bit weird that some value him over THJ. No offense to the NBA but defense don't really matter until you can score with the best of the best and I mean flat out drop points.

if we could score with warriors or cavs then it'd be necessary to worry about defense ...not that it should be fully ignored but take the cavs for example. Cavs were never worried about their defense in the east despite being #22 in the league, they KNEW they could easily outscore the east blind folded.

now i have went over board with a max for kcp but I stated that because that's what it seems like it's going to take to get him but as time goes on he will be cheaper. On the flip side I think bud and staff can make him a two way player for sure. THJ I felt they could have made a possible lethal scorer but we sadly didn't keep him around to find out.

• Admin

He shot .399 last year and you want to give him he max?  No way ... he doesn't deserve what THJ got ... he should have taken the pistons 80 million offer as that was an overpay.  He is a good defender but his offense is spotty and inconsistent... he takes many bad shots out there .. he doesn't really pass or rebound ... he is an average to good shooting guard ... you don't give that kind of player the max 

• Like 1