• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Maybe we should offer KCP a max

JTB

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, bumpyphish1 said:

My God some fans are so clueless.  Whatever we were willing to pay Tim is a maybe?  You are fricking out of your mind.  KCP is a better player now, younger, and has more room to improve than Hardaway.  This statement is foolish,  Bottom line.  

Why are we talking about max deals.  He isn't gonna get one.  But, if we could sign him for close to what the Knicks gave Hardaway, we would and WILL.  I'm very happy BudSchlenk are making these decisions and not some of the knuckleheads on this site.

"Trust the rebuild."  I do trust their mini-rebuild.  You rebuild around young players.  KCP is gonna end up being a bargain relative to what he was projected to get and probably what he is worth.  I don't think Schlenk will screw this up.  If we have to give Belinelli away for cash to do it, so be it.

I wouldn't pay KCP more than 10 million a year and even then I'd have to be at least mildly drunk to put that much money into an average NBA starter.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, marco102 said:

A team has to have 13 players or they'll receive the legaue mininum roster charge. I believe its about $815,000 this year.

The Hawks can still stretch Crawford and have plenty of space next year because they can trade for expiring contracts this year and have the option to stretch Plumlee if they so choose.

Hawksfanatic gave an example where the Hawks bought out Crawford for $12,000 and stretched it over 5 years.  The impact was a MAX of $2,400,000 on the cap.  If you consider the anticipated rise in the cap in the next few years, that won't really impact any major future decisions or contracts.

There is zero reason to take up any cap room in future years where we are hoping to be in a position to try to squeeze every dime to max multiple stars in the same offseason.  Pissing those dollars away so we can spend more this year when we don't care about competing is crazy.  

• Like 4

Everyone that's worried about kcp offensive efficiency let me just leave this here :

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/georgpa01.html

ya know George wasn't very efficient either on his way to becoming a two way star. We could be missing out on something here! Who's to say bud and staff can't fix this mans offense??? 

2 hours ago, AHF said:

There is zero reason to take up any cap room in future years where we are hoping to be in a position to try to squeeze every dime to max multiple stars in the same offseason.  Pissing those dollars away so we can spend more this year when we don't care about competing is crazy.  

Exactly.  Get out all the $H*T you possibly can this season since it's a sacrificed season.   

1 hour ago, JTB said:

Everyone that's worried about kcp offensive efficiency let me just leave this here :

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/georgpa01.html

ya know George wasn't very efficient either on his way to becoming a two way star. We could be missing out on something here! Who's to say bud and staff can't fix this mans offense??? 

That's even better.  I said it before, KCP is younger than Hardaway and had better shooting numbers last year on a team that ran no plays for him than Hardaway had on the Knicks the last season he was there before we traded for him.  Folks who say "KCP can't shoot" are clueless.  I watched the kid for two years at UGA and hardly missed a game.  The notion he is a poor shooter is laughable.  I'm not saying he will ever be Steph, but could he work up to shooting around 40% from 3?  Hell yeah.  

5 hours ago, Sothron said:

I wouldn't pay KCP more than 10 million a year and even then I'd have to be at least mildly drunk to put that much money into an average NBA starter.

It's been revealing this summer to see that many of this discussion board's most tenured, ardent posters are among the most clueless.  Probably some logical explanation for it.  I already knew a few regulars were joke posters but I hadn't pegged you yet, @Sothron.  I guess even geniuses are way wrong from time to time, so maybe that's what's going on here.  If your words are to be taken literally, the ideas expressed here are laughable.  They are not the comments of a serious person.

Edited by bumpyphish1
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, bumpyphish1 said:

That's even better.  I said it before, KCP is younger than Hardaway and had better shooting numbers last year on a team that ran no plays for him than Hardaway had on the Knicks the last season he was there before we traded for him.  Folks who say "KCP can't shoot" are clueless.  I watched the kid for two years at UGA and hardly missed a game.  The notion he is a poor shooter is laughable.  I'm not saying he will ever be Steph, but could he work up to shooting around 40% from 3?  Hell yeah.  

Yeah really upsets me that we aren't going to go after him probably 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, bumpyphish1 said:

Exactly.  Get out all the $H*T you possibly can this season since it's a sacrificed season.   

It's been revealing this summer to see that many of this discussion board's most tenured, ardent posters are among the most clueless.  Probably some logical explanation for it.  I already knew a few regulars were joke posters but I hadn't pegged you yet, @Sothron.  I guess even geniuses are way wrong from time to time, so maybe that's what's going on here.  If your words are to be taken literally, the ideas expressed here are laughable.  They are not the comments of a serious person.

So in the same post you agree with @AHF about not wasting our cap space this year to save it for later to go after real star players....you then turn around and attack me for not wanting to waste money on an average NBA starter. Interesting.

2 hours ago, Watchman said:

KCP is gonna be kicking himself for passing on that 5 yr/$80 million deal. 

Think maybe KCP got a little of that John Wall fever in looking at what another SG got in FA elsewhere. At least he hasn't run his mouth like Wall did when RG got his deal but just the same may have made a sizable mistake. Shucking eighty million guaranteed that is.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

This new Q&A article C-Viv posted more or less has Schlenk excusing himself for not holding on to Crawford as a trade chip (paraphrase) because we already have too many SGs anyhow.

And then, you go and add that they made a 2 year commitment to Dorsey yesterday (not sure if that rules out him being a two-way contract player or not)... and yeah, barring a trade, this whole discussion seems to be moot now. We're not in the SG market whatsoever.

• Premium Member

I think Baze starts at SG, Prince at SF, Collins at PF, Dennis at PG and free agent signing at center.

We have too much money in Baze for him not to start esp. if Schlenk wants to possibly showcase him in the hopes of flipping him at the deadline.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I think Baze starts at SG, Prince at SF, Collins at PF, Dennis at PG and free agent signing at center.

We have too much money in Baze for him not to start esp. if Schlenk wants to possibly showcase him in the hopes of flipping him at the deadline.

If Baze is starting, the Hawks will definetely need a center that can pass and shoot!

• Like 2

I think KCP poor shooting percentages are mostly due to poor shot selection. He takes a lot of difficult shots(off the dribble etc..). Perhaps this is because as @sturt pointed out his lack of integration into Stan's offense. I'm in agreement though I would rather have KCP than THJ at the same price point. There's a lot of revisionist history about THJ as a shooter now; you would think he was Reggie Miller or something. THJ has been a below average shooter his entire career up until this career year, and his percentages were still just average. I'm a little gun-shy of guys having career years in contract years(Al Henderson, Chris Crawford).

I'm willing to concede the shooting to THJ over KCP for arguments sake, but almost everything else done on a basketball court KCP does better. I think we've seen plenty of players become better shooters over there career.

I'm really torn on this, so I would probably pass and try and get Noel for 13-15 million a year. If Dallas matches so be it.

• Premium Member

I haven't totally given up on the idea that

(a) Baze can get back to an upward trajectory (Bryce Harper called and reminded me that newly married athletes seem to improve over the season before their wedding)... and/or

(b) Schlenk will find a way to deal Baze.

Regardless, if you're looking for offense from your 5, you're going to have to go get Mason, who does most things better than most 5s, except that he's another one who's horrendous at shooting FTs.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SalvorMallow said:

Signed by the lakers.

1 year 18 million.

18 mil is alot of money for what he brings to the table right now but for 1 yr it's not a bad move to see if he can improve then offer him the big contract.

Pretty much what I figured would happen with him. No way was he going to get 100 million and he was never going to accept half of what he wanted on an annual basis so they met him in the middle and after what will probably be a very good year from him he can hit the market to get the big bucks. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Dolfan23 said:

Pretty much what I figured would happen with him. No way was he going to get 100 million and he was never going to accept half of what he wanted on an annual basis so they met him in the middle and after what will probably be a very good year from him he can hit the market to get the big bucks. 

Too bad only like 5 teams have cap space next year. 

Heh, someday KCP will finally get a play run for him.  Amirite, Bumpy?

On 12/27/2015 at 7:22 AM, bumpyphish1 said:

Sorry....just wait til summer after next.  Wanna know what determines value?  The Market.  Let's see what each player's market value is a year in a half when they get new contracts...Won't be close.  Hawks may not even be able to afford him....

I hope Hardaway works out but that doesn't change the fact KCP is the truth and much more valuable.   KCP will be a borderline All-Star in a few years.