• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Diamond Stone... Waived..

willthepureshooter

I get this move if it comes with another such as signing Stephen Zimmerman to a contract.   If they do nothing else, then I don't get at least keeping him on the roster and trying to develop him into at least a rotational quality player.  

My hope is that they will sign Stephen Zimmerman and develop him as a 5th big this year and possible rotational guy down the road.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JTB said:

The whole purpose of a down year (tank year as you tankers love to say) ...is to see what your young guys are all about while going through this tough time.

we aren't playing to win at the current moment we are playing to see how high the ceiling is for these guys and if they CAN be apart of something great in the future.

no need to diss or knock stone . We didn't give him a chance.

I think it has a lot to do with skillset. I pointed out after the trade that his footwork seemed slow at times and he looked like he was going through the motions.

3 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

It looks like this Stone was no Diamond in the rough.

Yep, we let go of a Diamond in the rough.  He now can join with Adriean Payne as another "What the heck just happened here?" move.

35 minutes ago, sturt said:

I understood the Alpha dog is signed/sealed/delivered for Tony Parker's French team, but on the other hand, the press release seemed to indicate that the contract does have NBA-outs each off-season.

So, we need Stone's roster slot?

And don't care about the cap charge?

Seems somethin almost has to be brewin, no?

Ehh ill say its more to keep looking for this suspicious 3rd pg unless some random vet is signed like Diaw

5 minutes ago, Flight said:

Hopefully this means we have something worthwhile brewing, cause the timing of this is really odd.

Don't really understand how it could benefit us, as his salary will still count against us cap-wise.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, willthepureshooter said:

I think Schlenk doesn't have a clue of what he's doing.

Maybe they want to trade Schröder or Bazemore for 3 or 4 scrubs and needed the roster spot.   (i.e. moveable "flexible" contracts.)

Edited by Watchman

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Don't know about anyone hyping him up. Did that happen? What's surprising if not stunning... and certainly damning... is that the kid is 20 years old, and a team that explicitly is re-building and looking to develop young players didn't want him, and didn't even see it worth their while to hold him on the roster long enough to see if he could be moved in a trade.

So, then... why now?

Is there some other shoe ready to drop?

All this means is that Plumlee is ahead of schedule in his recovery.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Watchman said:

Don't really understand how it could benefit us, as his salary will still count against us cap-wise.

Because if he is signed by another team for the same or more than he makes now (which given his low salary is a given), the salary is set off.

https://moorebasketball.com/2016/01/19/how-it-works-the-waiver-procedure-and-contract-buyouts/

"The set-off right gives teams the ability to offset the money they owe a waived player and the money on their cap sheet in the event that player signs with another professional team.[6] For every year that the team is responsible for the remaining salary on a terminated contract, the team can set-off the amount of money the player is earning on another professional contract, subject to a formula in the CBA. The formula takes the player’s new salary and subtracts the minimum salary for either a rookie (for rookies) or a second year player (for all players other than rookies). If the outcome is positive, the team can offset the player’s dead money cap hit by that amount divided by two. For example, if a team waives a player and has $8M of dead money on their cap sheet in 2015-16 as a result, and that player signs a contract with a Chinese Basketball Association team for $2M in 2015-16, the team can set-off the amount they owe the player by $577,471,[7] and thus owe him only $7,422,529 for the that season. Although this right to set-off does benefit a team in most cases it will be a very limited amount of money, as demonstrated above."

Edited by thecampster
update

• Premium Member

Will be surprised if... given ATL deems him not worthy, and so not worthy that they swallow a guaranteed salary... that any other team is going to be particularly motivated to pick him up off waivers. Not like I haven't been surprised a time or two this off-season, but just sayin.

Having some time to digest it, and not to start anything nefarious, but if we don't see some corresponding move in the next 24 hours, I'm inclined to think there's some reason that has everything to do with Stone himself.

24 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Because if he is signed by another team for the same or more than he makes now (which given his low salary is a given), the salary is set off.

https://moorebasketball.com/2016/01/19/how-it-works-the-waiver-procedure-and-contract-buyouts/

"The set-off right gives teams the ability to offset the money they owe a waived player and the money on their cap sheet in the event that player signs with another professional team.[6] For every year that the team is responsible for the remaining salary on a terminated contract, the team can set-off the amount of money the player is earning on another professional contract, subject to a formula in the CBA. The formula takes the player’s new salary and subtracts the minimum salary for either a rookie (for rookies) or a second year player (for all players other than rookies). If the outcome is positive, the team can offset the player’s dead money cap hit by that amount divided by two. For example, if a team waives a player and has $8M of dead money on their cap sheet in 2015-16 as a result, and that player signs a contract with a Chinese Basketball Association team for $2M in 2015-16, the team can set-off the amount they owe the player by $577,471,[7] and thus owe him only $7,422,529 for the that season. Although this right to set-off does benefit a team in most cases it will be a very limited amount of money, as demonstrated above."

Don't think the salary for Stone is set-off. See the bolded part of what you pasted. Don't see Stone getting anything more than a minimum contract, so he likely won't have any set-off.

The only benefit from this move is the extra roster spot. It's definitely a negative from a cap perspective (though not by much, only $1.3m)

• Like 1

• Premium Member

On second thought, as I've always understood it, the player has to actually get through waivers before the Right of Set-Off has anything to do with anything anyhow. Indeed, the team picking up the waived contract ends up picking up the compensation as well, so ATL can only hope that some other team is salivating at adding Stone to their roster.... doubt we're so lucky.