• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Diamond Stone... Waived..

willthepureshooter

The Hawks waived Diamond Stone on Monday in a move that came just weeks after the team acquired the center in a three-way trade with the Clippers and Nuggets earlier this month.

Stone, 6-foot-11, 260 pounds, played in four games for the Hawks’ entry in the Las Vegas Summer League this month after the trade. He averaged 9.0 points and 3.5 rebounds in 15.0 minutes.

Stone was drafted in the second round (No. 40 overall) out of Maryland by the Pelicans in the 2016 NBA Draft. The Clippers acquired him in a draft-night trade. He played seven games for the Clippers last season and averaged 1.4 points and 0.9 rebounds in 3.4 minutes. He spent time in the G League with Santa Cruz and Salt Lake City. In 13 combined games, Stone averaged 16.2 points and 7.0 rebounds in 21.7 minutes.

Stone appeared in five games for the Clippers in the Orlando Summer League as a rookie last year and averaged 10.4 points and 5.6 rebounds in 24.4 minutes.

The Hawks acquired Jamal Crawford (bought out), Stone (waived), a top-three protected 2018 first-round draft pick and $1.3 million from the Clippers in the three-way trade.

The Hawks now have Dewayne Dedmon, Mike Muscala and Miles Plumlee at center.

The legendary Diamond Stone that everyone was so hyped about has been released by the Hawks. LOL!!!!!!

Edited by willthepureshooter
Didn't mean to add link in quote

3 minutes ago, smoove31210 said:

LOL...they hyped him up alot in this board.....he was a D-League at best player.

Very overhyped! lol

2 minutes ago, LucastheThird said:

Wow. I can't help but laugh 

I almost snotted my computer screen at work because I was laughing so hard. Lol!

1 minute ago, capstone21 said:

Thats surprising but I have a feeling he is always going to be an end of the bench kind of guy.  I wonder if we are after Green

He's not a rotational player at all in will more than likely fall to a struggling team so he will get minutes. I definitely think we're bringing someone else into the fold.

• Premium Member

Don't know about anyone hyping him up. Did that happen? What's surprising if not stunning... and certainly damning... is that the kid is 20 years old, and a team that explicitly is re-building and looking to develop young players didn't want him, and didn't even see it worth their while to hold him on the roster long enough to see if he could be moved in a trade.

So, then... why now?

Is there some other shoe ready to drop?

• Like 4

We are so quick to judge a guy that didn't even get a chance. We are going to lose this season anyways therefore I don't understand the reason of releasing this kid.

he could have played his way into the rotation . If moose and Ryan Kelly can get a few minutes I'm sure he could have. 

He was an actual center with size and a good looking shot. I wanted to see what he could do in this down year! So yeah I'm a little upset, but maybe we are after green like someone mentioned.

• Like 1

The whole purpose of a down year (tank year as you tankers love to say) ...is to see what your young guys are all about while going through this tough time.

we aren't playing to win at the current moment we are playing to see how high the ceiling is for these guys and if they CAN be apart of something great in the future.

no need to diss or knock stone . We didn't give him a chance.

Edited by JTB
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

I understood the Alpha dog is signed/sealed/delivered for Tony Parker's French team, but on the other hand, the press release seemed to indicate that the contract does have NBA-outs each off-season.

So, we need Stone's roster slot?

And don't care about the cap charge?

Seems somethin almost has to be brewin, no?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Curious move... Certainly, there should be no reason a point guard isn't signed really soon

Growing more suspicious day by day that C-Viv was just getting his chain yanked on that. About two weeks since Colonel told C-Viv that a PG and a big were to be signed. And what's happened? We've signed a wing, and no one else.... hehe... sheesh.

• Like 1

He didn't play well at all in SL.  Still a little surprising the Hawks didn't keep him on the roster.  Must be some other move or signing in the works.

But, if not, then maybe the Hawks are just trying to remain flexible for the trade deadline.