Preseason Game 4: Gwizzlies at Hawks

lethalweapon3

38 minutes ago, aali34 said:

Menace, Fear the Fro, Fresh Prince, John The Baptist, Ded-man Walking

I’ve called them all that too. I have at least 3 different names for each :approved:

• Moderators

Companion: Who is that, the dude beefing with Delaney?

My best Stephen A voice: MAWRIO CHAWMERS?!?!

Enjoyed watching pretty much everybody not named Babbitt, or (when he put the ball on the floor) Bazemore. Baze made both his threes, so good job there! Was so good to see the starting/key players do their job and pull away in the final frame.

Just gotta keep working on those screens so Collins and Dedmon don't foul out early.

~lw3

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hazer said:

Menace, ‘Dre, Printz, Jay-C, and Ded is an exciting lineup.

Crazy young looking lineup there but bet we'll see some very good minutes with that one this season. That right there would give us a lot of second chance opportunities so would soften the pain of our probable poor fg percentage in our games. A much needed advantage when we're clanging the iron. Hoping Jent will be the answer to the shooting percentage  part and we consistently improve during the course of our season. 

• Like 1

I’m not giving any hyperlinks, but other games this preseason I’ve been successful finding them live-streamed on YouTube. Just search “Hawks Grizzlies”. That’s about all I can tell ya without getting in trouble ;)

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, JTB said:

I hate I missed this game but loving the Bembry comments! Man it’s great to read that even in the preseason.

cant wait to rewatch the game and get my own analysis.

This is what you call... Homerism. 

Homerism is real and it's in Atlanta.  

Happy for the win, but Bud has to get this pick and roll fixed. Our bigs are being taken out of the game by our less than stellar guard play. 

I've watched John Collins and Dedmon roll hard consistently for 3 pre season games and this team still really struggles to get them the ball.  Dwight got all the blame last year, but your only going to roll hard for so long when you know no payoff is coming. This is going to be a long season if I have to watch Dennis and Malcom jack shots the whole game.

In order for the roll to work the primary ball handler has to be a threat that causes the defending big man to need to hedge. James Harden is really effective at this because he's a threat at all 3 levels, so Clint Capella get's hell of roll action because of this threat. Right now the big men aren't hedging because Dennis and Malcom have no inbetween game. They are either at the basket or jacking long jumpers. Normally going to the basket would force a hedge, but the defending big is sagging under the screen because they know both PG's won't take a mid range shot. This is rendering the roll ineffective because the defending big is hugging the big man and rolling with him which in turn puts him in position to block the shot if Dennis or Malcom happen to drive. 

Also the spacing on these pick and rolls is terrible. They are literally standing on top of each other, so every pass to the big ends up being contested or in traffic pass creating a high amount of turnovers. There's alot of potential here, but Bud has to get this stuff corrected, and for the love of God give John Collins a post up every now and again or a pop. He's literally being told to roll on every play. Too predictable right now. 

Edited by ATLien_
type 0
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, StephenHawking said:

Actually I like a dennis, bembry, prince, illy, Collins lineup more. 

You need some shooting to spread the floor for Collins, Bembry and Dennis. 

Thats nothing against Dedmon. Hes just too similar to Collins at the moment to have em both on the floor imo

I liked this lineup as well, but I think it's our "small ball" lineup and mignt not fair as well against some matchups.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Diesel said:

This happens to be a Hawks page. Homerism is expected and not unique to this Hawks board. If you think this is some national journalism site, you’re in the wrong place. Yes, I’m aware of how long you’ve been here. Not relevant...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Diesel said:

Homerism??

no just saying it’s great to hear Bembry played well. I’m rooting for all our young guys to do good instead of looking forward to destroy them down like you do Dennis.

Edited by JTB

2 hours ago, hazer said:

This happens to be a Hawks page. Homerism is expected and not unique to this Hawks board. If you think this is some national journalism site, you’re in the wrong place. Yes, I’m aware of how long you’ve been here. Not relevant...

Exactly...I don’t get the homerism comment. I haven’t created any threads about Bembry. I have been looking forward to seeing him play since he’s been out all preseason so far. But hell I was looking forward to seeing what John Jenkins could bring to the table too as well as the other young guys.

anyways I’ve been apart of this board long enough though not longer than him I know when to ignore certain members comments (if I can help it)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Diesel said:

If Deandre Bembry were named Ben Simmons you'd be all over his nuts.  You're all over the hyped players.  Go look at Ben Simmons stats and tell me how different he and Bembry are.  They both are forwards with great vision, can rebound, and well, Deandre plays better defense, but you're going to call us homers for hoping Bembry gets it together yet you'll hug Simmons nuts all season long even though he can't shoot worth a damn.

10 hours ago, ATLien_ said:

Happy for the win, but Bud has to get this pick and roll fixed. Our bigs are being taken out of the game by our less than stellar guard play. 

I've watched John Collins and Dedmon roll hard consistently for 3 pre season games and this team still really struggles to get them the ball.  Dwight got all the blame last year, but your only going to roll hard for so long when you know no payoff is coming. This is going to be a long season if I have to watch Dennis and Malcom jack shots the whole game.

In order for the roll to work the primary ball handler has to be a threat that causes the defending big man to need to hedge. James Harden is really effective at this because he's a threat at all 3 levels, so Clint Capella get's hell of roll action because of this threat. Right now the big men aren't hedging because Dennis and Malcom have no inbetween game. They are either at the basket or jacking long jumpers. Normally going to the basket would force a hedge, but the defending big is sagging under the screen because they know both PG's won't take a mid range shot. This is rendering the roll ineffective because the defending big is hugging the big man and rolling with him which in turn puts him in position to block the shot if Dennis or Malcom happen to drive. 

Also the spacing on these pick and rolls is terrible. They are literally standing on top of each other, so every pass to the big ends up being contested or in traffic pass creating a high amount of turnovers. There's alot of potential here, but Bud has to get this stuff corrected, and for the love of God give John Collins a post up every now and again or a pop. He's literally being told to roll on every play. Too predictable right now. 

Agreed ! Let’s just hope things continue to improve as time goes on. I believe instincts will get better and it will improve the entry passes to our bigs...looks like to me they just aren’t comfortable with that pass yet completely but I believe it’s coming I really do. I see the good potential in the playmaking ability between Dennis & Bembry.

lol times in the nba has really changed though. I wonder how a lot of these players would do if they had to play with traditional bigs not just the hawks.....lol even Lebron prefers stretch big men these days.

5 minutes ago, marco102 said:

If Deandre Bembry were named Ben Simmons you'd be all over his nuts.  You're all over the hyped players.  Go look at Ben Simmons stats and tell me how different he and Bembry are.  They both are forwards with great vision, can rebound, and well, Deandre plays better defense, but you're going to call us homers for hoping Bembry gets it together yet you'll hug Simmons nuts all season long even though he can't shoot worth a damn.

I can tell you right now it has nothing to do with Ben Simmons but everything to do with bazemore. 

He loves baze that’s his guy and to witness that Bembry could possibly be better than baze upsets him in the same way it was with a position battle of Dennis and Teague.

he calls us homers but he honestly loves certain players himself.

for me I personally like anyone with potential as long as they are actually getting better but at the same time I can accept it when a player is who he is. For example I don’t hate baze I just don’t believe this team is built for baze skillet in the starting lineup and bud is asking him to do things that’s not true to his abilities ....like baze being used to be our secondary  playmaker.....that’s not the best way to use bazemore. But because of defense bud continues to keep him in the lineup Howe Baze could be extremely effective if he could just be himself which is a 3&D player. Hell baze may even live up to his contract if he could primarily play the 3&D role we all thought he was going to be doing when we signed him to that long term deal but no we need another primary ball handler after Dennis due to the spurs like system we run and that automatically calls on baze to perform in a way that don’t fit his best skill set.

we could always use Bembry in the lineup over Prince but I’d rather just role with all the young players who have potential.

• Like 4