• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Success of Former Hawks.

Diesel

• Premium Member

I was just sitting back last night watching the success of other Hawks in the League and was like... What!!!

I think about the players that we have had... the blunders with contracts we have made... and the possibilities.   However, I wanted to take a snapshot of some of these players right now..

•  THJr:  14.6/ 2.2/2.8
  • Sapp:  15.2/7.5/1.5
  • DHoward:  15.7/16.2/1.2
  • KK:  10.4/2.1/0.4
  • DMC:  14.2/6.3/1.5
  • AlWhoreford:  15.2/8.8/4.0
  • Jeff T:  12.8/3.0/7.0
  • Mike Scott:  8.0/3.7/0.5
  • Thabo: 6.5/5.0/0.7

Just a few observations:

Most of our players are having better years than they did here.

Kenny Atkinson may be the better coach between him and Bud.   He has found a way to get the most out of DMC. 

Korver is ageless. 

Maybe we gave up on Scott too early. 

Damn... DHoward is a Monster!!  All the s--- that was talked about him last year, I saw him setting picks for Walker and Walker busting shots over everybody.

Whorefore still doesn't rebound but he's probably the best passing big man in the league.

Sapp, JT and THJr still adjusting... but THJr dropping 34 on the King is impressive.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Sothron said:

To be fair almost all of those guys were just as good in Atlanta. Dwight was great for us last year. The only reason I can think that we traded him was to tank and we couldn't do that with him here. Horford was supposed to resign but chose to leave. THJR  got a crazy deal that I'm thankful we didn't match. We got a first out of Korver who would still be getting 30 minutes a night here if he was here. Millsap wasn't offered a contract because of the tanking strategy.

Kenny Atkinson is a very good coach. I watched the Nuggets/Nets game Sunday and Atkinson has some fringe NBA players competing hard and trying their best. Once they finally get better talent in there they will be a team to watch out for.

The deal may have been crazy but if dude keeps looking like the man and Porzingas keeps looking like the other man, we may regret not resigning him.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Sothron said:

To be fair almost all of those guys were just as good in Atlanta. Dwight was great for us last year. The only reason I can think that we traded him was to tank and we couldn't do that with him here. Horford was supposed to resign but chose to leave. THJR  got a crazy deal that I'm thankful we didn't match. We got a first out of Korver who would still be getting 30 minutes a night here if he was here. Millsap wasn't offered a contract because of the tanking strategy.

Kenny Atkinson is a very good coach. I watched the Nuggets/Nets game Sunday and Atkinson has some fringe NBA players competing hard and trying their best. Once they finally get better talent in there they will be a team to watch out for.

I watched that game too and that's part of the reason why I believe that he may be a better coach than Bud.   I think that Bud is a good philosopher and a good guy period but I believe Atkinson got the most out of all of our players... especially Sap, Teague and DMC.   I think our team suffered the day that he went to NJ.   I also watched the Nets play Drama King and the Cavs... and saw the same kind of Non-quit that we exhibited back in 2014.  

I would have liked to seen if Lin didn't get hurt.   The biggest question will be Jarrett Allen.  If this dude can produce anything... they will be in the playoffs. 

At the end of the day there is no sane way to have both Baze and Tim here for over 34 million. I know the arguments about if he is good he is good and you sign him but because no one wants Baze we would be F***ed. So its not so simple as to say guys should not have been let go because if we weren't going to tank I'm keeping Sap anyway and think we could have him for less than what he makes right now. Tim would not have been part of the conversation then because oh yeah no one wants Baze and he plays SG. And F*** Al Horford period. You can't keep everyone...uh, unless you are the Cavs or Dubs.   

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Diesel said:

The deal may have been crazy but if dude keeps looking like the man and Porzingas keeps looking like the other man, we may regret not resigning him.

THJr has 1 game of beasting 4 games of being beaten like a redheaded stepchild this season.  I think he will be better than he has been on the season because his overall offense has not been good.  

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

While I can agree with you about the tanking.  The dumb fanbase here made up the narrative that Dwight was no good and was wrecking the team.   Dude is 16/16 right now and got his team looking better than the Cavs. 

I think the bigger deal is that Bud lost faith in him as his benching in important moments late in the season and playoffs showed.  I don't think the fans made a difference.  He has been divisive among fans on his last several teams and with team management on his last few teams to say the least.

For DMC, hoping he stays healthy.  It has been the health that drove him down the last few years.  If he can keep active, he will be a good player for them like he was for us.

Korver is gassed and past his prime (with us) for sure, but he can still shoot the ball and he'll get a lot less attention in Cleveland than he did his last couple years with us.  Korver + space = nice 3pt%.

• Like 2

Dwight was trash after the first 10 games. I watched him this year and he's doing all of the right things but he did this last year until mid and the end of the year. He was terrible. Tim been pretty bad this year outside of one game. Al Horford is the boss. No question about it and Millsap is still Trillsap.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, AHF said:

THJr has 1 game of beasting 4 games of being beaten like a redheaded stepchild this season.  I think he will be better than he has been on the season because his overall offense has not been good.  

I

I qualified it by saying.... Small Sample size.  That goes for all of the players.  It takes a little while for any player to adjust to a new system.   Look at Wade in Cleveland.  The thing about the 34 points is that he has a green light.  He's a shooter, he will come around.   Moreover, when they stop using him primarily as a three point shooter, his game will show up.   Still, he's got confidence like his father... keep pulling. 

As far as Dwight goes, it will be an interesting season.  I think he has a coach who knows how to use him.  I'm not sure if Bud knows how to use a big other than hoping he has the skillset of a Tim Duncan. 

• Like 1

On 10/30/2017 at 6:28 PM, NBASupes said:

Dwight was trash after the first 10 games. I watched him this year and he's doing all of the right things but he did this last year until mid and the end of the year. He was terrible. Tim been pretty bad this year outside of one game. Al Horford is the boss. No question about it and Millsap is still Trillsap.

I have a love/hate relationship with Al but I gotta give respect.  He’s the main reason along with increased perimeter length why that defense is stout and he already has a great synergy with Kyrie on both ends (no surprise he’s on pace to shatter his previous defensive rating with Al’s exemplary position play). 

Make no mistake, I don’t mind any of those guys being gone though, whether it be because of age or salary.  Molly Mike and Thabo are great value bench players but their time here had run its course.

• Like 1

Just want to state again, the best player in our recent history, Al Horford is the best player to me on Boston again. Regardless of what pieces change around him, he's the common denominator for his team's success. I don't like this idea that he's f***ing Horace Grant and never have. He's one of the best team players I've seen in some time in the NBA and I wish others could see what I see. He's lead, not one, but two different personnel to 1st place on the way for a 3rd.  

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Just want to state again, the best player in our recent history, Al Horford is the best player to me on Boston again. Regardless of what pieces change around him, he's the common denominator for his team's success. I don't like this idea that he's f***ing Horace Grant and never have. He's one of the best team players I've seen in some time in the NBA and I wish others could see what I see. He's lead, not one, but two different personnel to 1st place on the way for a 3rd.  

Then Tristan Thompson comes to town and you snap back into reality.

• Like 1