• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Peoriabird

28 minutes ago, AHF said:

Here is how I see our defenders by minutes played:

Prince - Below average defender.  Shows some promise for the future.

Dennis - Below average defender.  Decent on ball defender and terrible off the ball defender.  

Bazemore - Average defender.  Very active but too often wasted motion and bad fouls.  Best wing/guard defender.

Beli - Below average defender.  Offense drives his value.

Collins - Below average defender.  Lots to learn.  Strong and athletic enough to improve significantly but length limits long-term upside on D.

Ilya - Below average defender.  Kind of a Korver equivalent in the frontcourt.

Delaney - Below average defender.  Can't say where his value lies.  His 39% / 35% shooting is a real improvement over last year?

Babbit - Below average defender.  Spreads the floor but doesn't do much on D.  Rotates as expected but just very limited.

Dedmon - Plus defender.  Downside is he is #9 on the team in minutes played due to injuries.

Taylor- Below average defender.

Cavanaugh - Below average defender.

Plumlee - Average defender.  Gives you near nothing on offense which makes him tough to play.  Nothing great on D but strong enough to man up on the interior.

Bembry - Average to below average defender.  Has shown flashes of being a plus defender but has struggled at other times.  Seems to vary game to game more than most of our team.  Overall probably below average at this point.

Muscala - Below average.  

Dorsey - Below average.

Add up a bunch of below average players and you get a pretty dismal defense.

I mainly just disagree on Bazemore. He's a good defender based on his responsibilities that he can handle and versatility. That said, his decision making and inconsistencies drop from plus to above average for me.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:
6 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:
The game was managed well tonight by Bud...What happened to the tank plan?

You can only "retool" for so long before you have to " remain competitive" again.

Is this what politicians call spin?

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

I'm getting the feeling my working theory has been dismissed as a rational option.

But I'm okay with that.

You still need to instill the correct way to play even if you aren't trying to win.  You instruct to foul when the game is close and a poor foul shooter is out there.  You still place guys in teachable situations.   This team sucks though so we will lose if try to or not..

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Less about what Bud did and more about what Denver didn't do (come to play).  Bud isn't going to put Dennis on the bench for 2 months or anything but I strongly think he is on board with generally losing a #$* ton of games by design.  We aren't going to lose them all.

For me, it is the difference between being a really bad team (which we would be anyway with this talent) and going for the #1 pick.   That might be an additional 5-10 losses over the course of the entire season.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Why can't y'all admit that you are wrong about Bud...There is very little evidence to support the notion that he is not trying to win games. He plays the players he thinks gives him the best chance to win each and every game. You can't assume he is not because you don't agree with his personnel decisions.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Why can't y'all admit that you are wrong about Bud...There is very little evidence to support the notion that he is not trying to win games. He plays the players he thinks gives him the best chance to win each and every game. You can't assume he is not because you don't agree with his personnel decisions.

You see everything through the worst lens with Bud.  I agree with some of your criticisms but I don't buy in at all that he is doing everything he can to win every game like you seem to think.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, AHF said:

You see everything through the worst lens with Bud.  I agree with some of your criticisms but I don't buy in at all that he is doing everything he can to win every game like you seem to think.

Where is the evidence that he isn't?

• Premium Member

I want this to sink in for those who are a tad bit confused about Bud's desire to purposefully lose games.

Ultimately they, the Front offices might “tank” for the lottery in the way they build the roster, but coaches and players don’t tank. It’s against their financial self-interest to do so and, in nearly every case, it also runs counter to their pride and sense of professionalism.

Budenholzer’s job is clear: Win games and develop his young players. Really, that’s always been his job. It’s just that the organizational focus has shifted more to the latter. Whether that’s what Budenholzer would rather do is beside the point because it’s what he’s being paid to do.

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I want this to sink in for those who are a tad bit confused about Bud's desire to purposefully lose games.

Ultimately they, the Front offices might “tank” for the lottery in the way they build the roster, but coaches and players don’t tank. It’s against their financial self-interest to do so and, in nearly every case, it also runs counter to their pride and sense of professionalism.

Budenholzer’s job is clear: Win games and develop his young players. Really, that’s always been his job. It’s just that the organizational focus has shifted more to the latter. Whether that’s what Budenholzer would rather do is beside the point because it’s what he’s being paid to do.

Disagree.  I expect he has been told in no uncertain terms that his job is not to win the most games possible this season.  Bud's financial future will be much better off getting a star with one of the league's worst records so he can nurture that star than it would be winning another 8 games this season and being stuck with a worse roster next year.  Unless you think Bud's next contract will be based more on his team's W/L record this season than it will be where the team is at when he is up for a new deal, then the incentive is actually the opposite.

If Bud coaches a contender, he will be in a position to make a lot more money than by coaching an also-ran or lottery team that exceeds expectations but doesn't have the star talent to be particularly good.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, AHF said:

Disagree.  I expect he has been told in no uncertain terms that his job is not to win the most games possible this season.  Bud's financial future will be much better off getting a star with one of the league's worst records so he can nurture that star than it would be winning another 8 games this season and being stuck with a worse roster next year.  Unless you think Bud's next contract will be based more on his team's W/L record this season than it will be where the team is at when he is up for a new deal, then the incentive is actually the opposite.

If Bud coaches a contender, he will be in a position to make a lot more money than by coaching an also-ran or lottery team that exceeds expectations but doesn't have the star talent to be particularly good.

1st of all, those 2 paragraphs came from an article written by the AJC not me. Secondly, when does all this winning start? Next year? Your argument is flawed because there is no guarantee that any rookie will make you a "contender" in the very near future so why would a coach allow his future to be determined by a draft pick? Only fans think like that.

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

1st of all, those 2 paragraphs came from an article written by the AJC not me. Secondly, when does all this winning start? Next year? Your argument is flawed because there is no guarantee that any rookie will make you a "contender" in the very near future so why would a coach allow his future to be determined by a draft pick? Only fans think like that.

That is fine.  I disagree with the AJC on that.

Second, when does the winning start?  For Brad Stevens, it was 1 year after he "led" the team to 25 wins.

For Brett Brown it was after 4 years of losing.  

Brown could never have done much with those rosters so he will only be a desirable commodity if he gets them to turn the corner into a dramatically better team.  Winning 23 games instead of 10 or 15 would have done nothing for him other than maybe cause him to miss out on Ben Simmons or Joel Embiid.  Bud's reputation will be what it is based not on whether he wins 15, 20, or 25 games this season but on what the team looks like at the end and on what he did with the team before they tanked.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, AHF said:

That is fine.  I disagree with the AJC on that.

Second, when does the winning start?  For Brad Stevens, it was 1 year after he "led" the team to 25 wins.

For Brett Brown it was after 4 years of losing.  

Brown could never have done much with those rosters so he will only be a desirable commodity if he gets them to turn the corner into a dramatically better team.  Winning 23 games instead of 10 or 15 would have done nothing for him other than maybe cause him to miss out on Ben Simmons or Joel Embiid.  Bud's reputation will be what it is based not on whether he wins 15, 20, or 25 games this season but on what the team looks like at the end and on what he did with the team before they tanked.

That's your opinion but tell that to the many coaches like Larry Drew who went thru a rebuild and hasn't coached since.