Homecourt Draft Discussion

AHF

5 hours ago, Dragitoff said:

Just thought of it too, but a trade option for an elite scorer that could become available due to salary issues is CJ McCollum.  Portland has been rumored  to be needing to break up that twosome due to luxury tax issues.  He might be our chance to get a volume scorer without luring him here via FA.  He's still young enough to blend in with our current core.  

Certainly was an issue in the past particularly due to questions of too much duplication between him and Lillard.  This season however they are 3rd in the West and are likely to surpass their win total from the last two seasons.  If they manage a deep playoff run I imagine they'd double down on their core of Lillard, McCollum and Nurkic and shed the excess elsewhere *cough* Turner *cough*.  Is something to keep an eye on though.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, High5 said:

I'm pretty solid on Ayton or Doncic. I wonder if there's any trade potential if we end up with #3 and both are off the board. 

Just take Bagley if theyre gone..  Dude should be a high school senior right now, and he's killing it. Bud can fix his defense...

Edited by buckyboy2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, buckyboy2 said:

Just take Bagley if theyre gone..  Dude should be a high school senior right now, and he's killing it. Bud can fix his defense...

Meh the high school senior crap you hear spewed isn't really as big as a deal that it's being made out to be. He's 18 and has been for a while, I was 17 for my entire high school senior year and walked before I even turned 18...and I didn't skip any grades at all. One of the reasons why he didn't graduate at the age target is because of the things being done with him sports wise, there was a period in which I'm not sure he was attending school at all.

If it was he was actually 17, it'd be more impressive but he's not.

I was 17 my first 2 months of college too, no skips. Was a pitcher on scholarship, never made it to Division 1, wasn’t still supposed to be in high school. 

Edited by hazer

58 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Meh the high school senior crap you hear spewed isn't really as big as a deal that it's being made out to be. He's 18 and has been for a while, I was 17 for my entire high school senior year and walked before I even turned 18...and I didn't skip any grades at all. One of the reasons why he didn't graduate at the age target is because of the things being done with him sports wise, there was a period in which I'm not sure he was attending school at all.

POint being he's nearly a yr younger than Ayton, Porter, etc. Im not saying thats why we should take him if thats who we even want..JUst sayin. LIke I said earlier, Im happy with either.(Ayton,Doncic,Bagley)

1 hour ago, hazer said:

I was 17 my first 2 months of college too, no skips. Was a pitcher on scholarship, never made it to Division 1, wasn’t still supposed to be in high school. 

Guys, I meant to say he "could" be a high school senior, not he should. I take it yall arent  Bagley fans. lol. Btw, I was also 17 when I graduated high school. Summer birthday. 

Edited by buckyboy2

1 minute ago, buckyboy2 said:

Guys, I meant to say he "could" be a high school senior. I take it yall arent  Bagley fans. lol

He’s my 3rd choice with our top pick, behind Doncic and Ayton.

3 minutes ago, buckyboy2 said:

Guys, I meant to say he "could" be a high school senior. I take it yall arent  Bagley fans. lol

Just now, hazer said:

He’s my 3rd choice with our top pick, behind Doncic and Ayton.

I’ll be thrilled with any of those 3 and/or Porter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

The age thing isn’t as big of a deal as experience is. He missed an entire year of playing more organized basketball before going to college. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MaceCase said:

Certainly was an issue in the past particularly due to questions of too much duplication between him and Lillard.  This season however they are 3rd in the West and are likely to surpass their win total from the last two seasons.  If they manage a deep playoff run I imagine they'd double down on their core of Lillard, McCollum and Nurkic and shed the excess elsewhere *cough* Turner *cough*.  Is something to keep an eye on though.

We made a move like this for a non all star for a legit prospect in the past. His name was Pau Gasol. Still one of the most stupid short-sided trades in NBA history. I still dislike SAR as well. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, buckyboy2 said:

Ayton will be long gone at 3. IM thinking Bagley will go to Phoenix.. So I guess Doncic it is. lol

Draft position isn’t set yet, Hawks may still snag top slot. I’m just saying wherever position they pick, if Doncic is available he’s my top wish. Ayton would be my 2nd favorite pick. With Bagley my 3rd favorite. Bagley wouldn’t be the end of the world, my 4th favorite pick.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hazer said:

Draft position isn’t set yet, Hawks may still snag top slot. I’m just saying wherever position they pick, if Doncic is available he’s my top wish. Ayton would be my 2nd favorite pick. With Bagley my 3rd favorite. Bagley wouldn’t be the end of the world, my 4th favorite pick.

I'm not fighting against this, but if we draft Doncic, we have to move Schröder.  Most reports I've seen on Doncic is he will have trouble guarding NBA 2's and even 3's.  We can't have our 2 guards as defensive liabilities, especially if we're lacking a true paint protector.  

10 hours ago, hazer said:

Last line should’ve been “Porter” wouldn’t be the end of the world...

• Like 2

Possibly 2 top 15 picks for the Hawks this year. With their own first pick I’m hoping for Doncic, Ayton, Bagley, or Porter. With the Minny pick I’m hoping for Bridges, Bridges, or Williams, but Mikal will be long gone by then.

If Hawks fall out of Top 5: Collin Sexton or Mikal

I’m intrigued with A&M’s Robert Williams with Minny’s pick. Only 6’9 but has a 7’6 wingspan, is a tremendous athlete, has a good mid-range game, and is a great shot blocker and rebounder. He and J-Bap on the floor at the same time would be an interchangeable switching nightmare for opposing teams. Williams getting the rim protection assignment and both eating up the boards.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dragitoff said:

I'm not fighting against this, but if we draft Doncic, we have to move Schröder.  Most reports I've seen on Doncic is he will have trouble guarding NBA 2's and even 3's.  We can't have our 2 guards as defensive liabilities, especially if we're lacking a true paint protector.  

Show me the receipts!  I have not yet seen a report that says Doncic will struggle guarding NBA 2's and 3's.   The quickness factor with point guards yes.  He can get bullied by larger 3's.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dragitoff said:

3 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Show me the receipts!  I have not yet seen a report that says Doncic will struggle guarding NBA 2's and 3's.   The quickness factor with point guards yes.  He can get bullied by larger 3's.

With lots of Hawks U and effort, Korver became a decent defender of 2s and 3s. I feel like Doncic is probably capable of that same level, with work. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, marco102 said:

Many of the scouting reports say he may struggle to keep up with NBA 2's.  Not sure why you're arguing that.  I like the kid and he may be the best fit for our scheme, but blindly loving a player without admitting their faults is short-sighted.  

• Like 1