• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Tank Thread

Diesel

5 minutes ago, KB21 said:

They don't have the veteran pieces to do it.  The team is also poorly put together, but that happens when you use tanking as a team building philosophy.  

What makes them poorly put together? 

What veterans should they add? 

Ersan, Reddit, and Bellaneli (sp) are good veterans, BTW.  Not great, but good veterans.  I'm confused as to what makes those three not good peices.  Bellenali even had a good role on a championship team. 

Edited by marco102
  • Like 1

I’m not sure the Braves tank “worked”.  None of the high draft picks they got from tanking has played a meaningful inning of baseball yet.  All of the core players on the team were either on the team in 2014 or were acquired through trades of players on that team (Gattis/Heyward/Simmons).  

I am bullish on the Braves’ future, and they do have the best minor league system as a direct result of the tank, but we won’t know where it will take the major league team just yet.  Would they have been better off just keeping Kimbrel and Simmons?  We sure could use them now.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JSmooooove said:

No the Wizards took care of us easily in the 1st round last year. You're thinking of 2 years ago when the Cavs absolutely destroyed us in 4 games. Or maybe the year before that when they... absolutely destroyed us in 4 games. What a shame that we couldn't have another fun year of that.

Oh yeah. lol

• Moderators

Kudos to Dwyane Wade.  He stepped up huge for Miami yesterday and made all the key plays in the deciding stretch of that game.  Made me scratch my head that Cleveland cut him.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, AHF said:

Kudos to Dwyane Wade.  He stepped up huge for Miami yesterday and made all the key plays in the deciding stretch of that game.  Made me scratch my head that Cleveland cut him.

Cleveland wanted to get younger and more athletic.  That and I think Wade was one of the more vocal critics of Love in the locker room next to IT so there was a chemistry aspect to it.  He had similar issues with Chicago the year previously.

9 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

The only proven way of winning and or competing for a championship with any regularity in the NBA is to have elite, super-star talent.  Hall of fame talent.  The 04 Pistons (or whatever year that was) were an anomaly not the blueprint.  You need star power to win in this league. 

And there's exactly 3 ways to acquire such talent:  1. You trade for it; 2. You draft it; or 3. You sign in in FA.  Problem is, if a team has a truly elite player, the ransom they require to trade said talent is more than any franchise can bare generally.  So really, there's only 2 practical ways to acquire the necessary talent to win a title.  Draft em or sign em. 

And last I checked, superstars in their prime ain't walking through that door.  So while I don't necessarily like tanking, I'm willing to see how it goes as it's really the only way for a team like the Hawks to acquire elite talent, barring something unforeseen or out of the norm.  

I do agree that the front office has to know what they are doing for this strategy to work.  They better be really good at talent eval and be able to make good moves to parlay assets into legit NBA vets at some point.  IMO, you build the base through the draft and then try your luck at either signing quality vets to support the base or attracting an elite FA to play with the exciting young base.  

So I'm not a Hall of Fame talent?

Image result for dwight howard

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

So I'm not a Hall of Fame talent?

Image result for dwight howard

You must have skipped over the "in their prime" part of the comment.  No. The Dwight that we got last year was neither a super star nor a hall of famer (but yes, he is a hall of fame talent and played like it in his prime).  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, h4wkfan said:

@KB21

Out of curiosity who do you feel is the best constructed team in the NBA and why?

The San Antonio Spurs, by a large margin.  In the past 45 years, the Spurs have had only 4 losing seasons, and none have come in consecutive seasons.  Think about that.  The Spurs have been to the playoffs 41 times in the past 45 years.  They have been able to transition from David Robinsion, to Tim Duncan, to Kawhi Leonard without taking an extended absence from the playoffs.  Even this year, without their best player, they did not fall out of the playoffs.  

We had that in Atlanta with Danny Ferry and Mike Budenholzer, and we fired Danny for the wrong reasons and will now let Bud walk because he isn't on board with the desired tanking philosophy that they want to employ. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KB21 said:

The San Antonio Spurs, by a large margin.  In the past 45 years, the Spurs have had only 4 losing seasons, and none have come in consecutive seasons.  Think about that.  The Spurs have been to the playoffs 41 times in the past 45 years.  They have been able to transition from David Robinsion, to Tim Duncan, to Kawhi Leonard without taking an extended absence from the playoffs.  Even this year, without their best player, they did not fall out of the playoffs.  

We had that in Atlanta with Danny Ferry and Mike Budenholzer, and we fired Danny for the wrong reasons and will now let Bud walk because he isn't on board with the desired tanking philosophy that they want to employ. 

You understand their foundation was built on the draft lottery in David Robinson and Tim Duncan? They became a good team because of the lottery. They became a great team because they nailed 3 late picks once their lottery based foundation was set. 

Also having one of if not the GOAT head coaches, scouting, and player development programs helped. We have 2 of those 3. Bud may prove to give us all 3... But we still need that elite foundation to start.

6 minutes ago, h4wkfan said:

You understand their foundation was built on the draft lottery in David Robinson and Tim Duncan? They became a good team because of the lottery. They became a great team because they nailed 3 late picks once their lottery based foundation was set. 

Also having one of if not the GOAT head coaches, scouting, and player development programs helped. We have 2 of those 3. Bud may prove to give us all 3... But we still need that elite foundation to start.

Did you misread what I just stated?  The San Antonio Spurs have never been built through the lottery.  They have missed the playoffs only 4 times in the past 45 years, and none in the past 21 years.  The foundation that the Spurs have been built upon is unselfishness and playing the game the right way.

If you disagree, then please show me when the Spurs tore their roster down to being an expansion level team.

• Premium Member
On 4/18/2018 at 10:23 AM, Peoriabird said:

The Spurs don't look so good now.. Bunch of old players on the decline...Oh Wait...KB loves those kind of players so never mind.

Betcha they rebuild faster and better than us. 

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Betcha they rebuild faster and better than us. 

I they get a first ballot HOF at #1 overall with their next rebuild like they have their last couple of times they fell off the wagon they will indeed recover very quickly.

• Like 2