• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Tank Thread

Diesel

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, GThawks3 said:

So you have to get another Anthony Davis at #3 for it to be a successful pick?

And what would losing in the 1st round again have gotten us? 

Yes you do imo for the Hawks.   What player in this draft could walk in and lead the Hawks?  

Yes you do imo for the Hawks.   What player in this draft could walk in and lead the Hawks?  

There are good players in this draft, but expecting any of them to lead us is setting ourselves for disappointment. That being said, if there any prospects capable of changing the game, it would be Doncic or Bamba imo.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

Anthony Davis is a top 5 player in the league IMO. And you expect that at #3? It’s possible (unlikely) but not sure why you’d expect that. 

And I believe Bagley, Young or Doncic   have superstar potential but they don’t need to lead us as rookies...Hawks will still tank next year. 

12 minutes ago, GThawks3 said:

Anthony Davis is a top 5 player in the league IMO. And you expect that at #3? It’s possible (unlikely) but not sure why you’d expect that. 

And I believe Bagley, Young or Doncic   have superstar potential but they don’t need to lead us as rookies...Hawks will still tank next year. 

And the year after that.......and the year after that........and he year after that........it’s a cycle that will keep repeating.   This is the true treadmill. The endless lottery treadmill.  It’s like Hotel California.  You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leaves.  Losing in perpetuity is what tanking gets you.  

20 minutes ago, KB21 said:

And the year after that.......and the year after that........and he year after that........it’s a cycle that will keep repeating.   This is the true treadmill. The endless lottery treadmill.  It’s like Hotel California.  You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leaves.  Losing in perpetuity is what tanking gets you.  

This is all based on nothing other than your pessimistic views because you’re upset the Hawks are tanking. 

Collins + Prince + #3 pick + #19 pick  + 2019 pick + 2020 pick could = best Hawks team in franchise history. No one knows. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GThawks3 said:

This is all based on nothing other than your pessimistic views because you’re upset the Hawks are tanking. 

Collins + Prince + #3 pick + #19 pick  + 2019 pick + 2020 pick could = best Hawks team in franchise history. No one knows. 

Shhhh.  Logic not allowed with someone who kills every move the team has made or will make.  Just wish KB would give me the freaking lotto numbers so I can get off the treadmill...

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, GThawks3 said:

It's based upon the history of looking at bad teams who draft high in the lottery.  They rarely get better.

1 minute ago, KB21 said:

It's based upon the history of looking at bad teams who draft high in the lottery.  They rarely get better.

Because a lot of teams draft busts. And you clearly keep thinking that’s what the Hawks will do because you’re upset theyre tanking. 

You love both Doncic and JJJ. What if the Hawks grabbed Doncic at 3 and then traded up for JJJ? JJJ, Collins, Prince and Doncic...do you still think the Hawks will be a bottom 5 team for the next 5-6 years? And even then that’s 5-6 top picks to pair with those 4 above. 

4 minutes ago, GThawks3 said:

Because a lot of teams draft busts. And you clearly keep thinking that’s what the Hawks will do because you’re upset theyre tanking. 

You love both Doncic and JJJ. What if the Hawks grabbed Doncic at 3 and then traded up for JJJ? JJJ, Collins, Prince and Doncic...do you still think the Hawks will be a bottom 5 team for the next 5-6 years? And even then that’s 5-6 top picks to pair with those 4 above. 

Yes, I do.  That's what tanking gets you.  Because you are bringing those young players into a losing culture now.  It will have a negative effect on their development.

There is no way to get out of this spiral.  Travis Schlenk killed any hope the Hawks ever had of a championship by tanking.

5 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Yes, I do.  That's what tanking gets you.  Because you are bringing those young players into a losing culture now.  It will have a negative effect on their development.

There is no way to get out of this spiral.  Travis Schlenk killed any hope the Hawks ever had of a championship by tanking.

Hawks had no chance at a championship at any time in the past 11 years. This is what you don’t comprehend. And again winning 44-48 games and losing in the 1st round is a losing culture. 

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Philly just made the playoffs tho

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Regression to the mean

You could say that, but to me it really depends on the talent drafted. I think based on Doncic's play style, experience, and leadership, he could definitely lead this team to a playoff birth in a few seasons. Can't say the same for anyone else in this draft though.

It only ignores it because it's irrelevant to the point I'm making. If I were making the assertion that the method the Hawks are taking and these other teams were similarly taking works 100% of the time, it would be relevant. 

That's exactly the assertion that is being made in my view.  

15 hours ago, KB21 said:

That's exactly the assertion that is being made in my view.  

Your view is too narrow.  Expand it and you will see that while you make some good points, you're not seeing the valid points others are making.  You just come off as unwilling to see beyond your narrow interpretation of the data.  It's clear that you are so upset about our current situation that you will just keep hammering away at how this won't work despite there being evidence it can and has for many other teams like us.  We aren't Boston, LA, or NY which will always have a big leg up in attracting free agents if they can just assemble a mediocre core and find a decent coach.  Our struggle is much more real and you just can't seem to handle that this is probably our best roadpath.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, GThawks3 said:

Hawks had no chance at a championship at any time in the past 11 years. This is what you don’t comprehend. And again winning 44-48 games and losing in the 1st round is a losing culture. 

That's not true at all.  A 48 win season at least gives you something to cheer about.

I find in incredible that a fan base that has never won anything, all of a sudden has a "Championship or bust" mentality.  

28 minutes ago, Eddielives said:

Your view is too narrow.  Expand it and you will see that while you make some good points, you're not seeing the valid points others are making.  You just come off as unwilling to see beyond your narrow interpretation of the data.  It's clear that you are so upset about our current situation that you will just keep hammering away at how this won't work despite there being evidence it can and has for many other teams like us.  We aren't Boston, LA, or NY which will always have a big leg up in attracting free agents if they can just assemble a mediocre core and find a decent coach.  Our struggle is much more real and you just can't seem to handle that this is probably our best roadpath.  

I'm not as extreme as KB about "the tank", but what he says about tanking is more of the norm, and what everybody else wants to believe is more of the outlier.   For every "Philadelphia", you have an "Orlando", "Sacramento", and "Phoenix".   And even with Philly, they need to prove that they can do it again, for "the Process" to truly be a success.

It is so important that we hit on that potential Hall of Fame talent in this draft.   They don't need to get cute and try to acquire multiple picks, especially if both of those picks are 5 and lower.  Just go out and get the person who they think can be a franchise piece for the next 7 - 9 years.

As far as free agency goes, there are always lottery type players who didn't live up to expectations in their first 4 years, that tend to blossom as they reach their prime.   Those are the types of players that the Hawks need to target in free agency, not the mega stars.

47 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

That's not true at all.  A 48 win season at least gives you something to cheer about.

I find in incredible that a fan base that has never won anything, all of a sudden has a "Championship or bust" mentality.  

It's not "championship or bust." It's "actually have a chance to compete for a championship one day or bust." And there is nothing sudden about it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eddielives said:

This is never the best path for any team.