• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Tank Thread

Diesel

• Moderators

I totally agree you have to get lucky but history says you have to play in the lottery to get lucky and win.  I don't care how it is supposed to work.  I look at champions and see what they did that did work.  Usually it all started with a lottery pick who became a superstar and they spent years building around that player.

A minority of champions got a superstar in FA or by trade but I don't see those as viable options for us.  Feel free to disagree if you think Durant narrowly passed on us or something.  I'd have been happy to keep winning and get lottery picks via trade like Boston but we have not been willing to give up our assets or had the eye-catching studs or lottery picks needed to make the big trades.  If I thought we could trade the way into the lottery enough to build that way like LA has done a couple of times then I would have been fine with that and endorsed the Teague deal for that reason while we competed.  Prince isn't close to a star but at least we took a shot.  He looks like enough potential that he can be as good as Teague over time but we'll see where it goes.

• Like 1

And the highest probability to find a superstar talent is at the top of the draft. Thats for sure. 

You'll now going to say xyz was picked #18 and zyx was picked #46.

But if you'd take the probability of all #1 and how they worked out in comparison to all #46 and how they worked out you'd realize at the end of the day you have the highest probability at the top of the draft.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, High5 said:

You two are so dramatic. We're one above average player away from being right back in the playoff race. The mediocrity you crave is quite easy to achieve. The rest of us just don't want that to be the end result anymore. 

Now this is the part where you talk about how the Kings have sucked for years so we will too, you ignore plain facts about the draft history of championship teams, and then you take another shot at Andrew Wiggins. And despite your endless rants about how all top 3 picks are toxic, franchise-crippling busts, you seem really excited for the chance to draft Doncic. Rinse and repeat. 

Really? I would love to know what player could turn a 2-11 mess into a playoff team so fast.

Believe me, it's much easier to tank season after season and keep sucking. But maybe that's the result some of you guys want now.

Kings, Sixers, Suns, Wolves, Nets... and the Hawks. I couldn't tell the differences between them if I wasn't a fan of the game.

Are we one of those championship teams yet? Oh, but we got Schlenk. Right. :ninja:

And the winner of BrazilianHawk's Shot of the Day is... Anthony Bennett. Sadly, Andrew Wiggins was a close runner-up.

Well, I guess we have to draft someone, right?

• Premium Member
Just now, StephenHawking said:

And the highest probability to find a superstar talent is at the top of the draft. Thats for sure. 

You'll now going to say xyz was picked #18 and zyx was picked #46.

But if you'd take the probability of all #1 and how they worked out in comparison to all #46 and how they worked out you'd realize at the end of the day you have the highest probability at the top of the draft.

Right. but the team that draft @ 18th is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than the one that drafts at the top of the draft. The end result is likely to be a team full of flashy players who will leave as soon as they can. Championship, you say? Well, who knows, someone has to win it all. I just think it's more likely to be one of the good teams that drafted that Giannis guy (hey, it could have been us, right?) than the one that drafted KAT.

10 minutes ago, StephenHawking said:

It seems like you two guys have completely different imagination of how the majority  thinks tanking has to be done than it is in reality. 

People aren't saying, "we bottom out for a year and next year we win a championship" 

People aren't thinking "Okc, Magic and in example the Wolves did a good job.”

Which 2 guys, @BrazilianHawk and who? Because I’m not saying either of those things, I’m saying Hawks “back to the playoffs” in 2019. And this time with a greater chance in the following years after that to attract a star in a trade/FA, be in contention to make the Finals, and not just a treadmill 1st round exit. Yeah we would’ve probably still made the playoffs had we re-signed Sap. But what’s the point, another 1st found exit?

I feel you're really overexaggerating how we played so far this season. 

If you watched the games you'd have seen that in like 8 games we hung in right until the last 5 minutes when it becomes evident that were young. But many games were really really close. So we're not as bad as you make us out to be. We could easily have 6 wins or so if we'd be a little more lucky in the last two minutes

vor 3 Minuten, hazer sagte:

Which 2 guys, @BrazilianHawk and who? Because I’m not saying either of those things, I’m saying Hawks “back to the playoffs” in 2019. And this time with a greater chance in the following years after that to attract a star in a trade/FA, be in contention to make the Finals, and not just a treadmill 1st round exit. Yeah we would’ve probably still made the playoffs had we re-signed Sap. But what’s the point, another 1st found exit?

Kb

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, hazer said:

The point is, you can get rid of players that doesn't fit (Howard, should've gotten more for him) and that aren't worth their offers (Timmy Jr.) and keep adding pieces to fill those holes, via draft or whatever.

You don't need to suck to be good. That's the point. And please don't pretend the Hawks didn't reach the ECF, or the second round of the playoffs time and time again.

1 minute ago, StephenHawking said:

If you watched the games you'd have seen that in like 8 games we hung in right until the last 5 minutes when it becomes evident that were young. But many games were really really close. So we're not as bad as you make us out to be. We could easily have 6 wins or so if we'd be a little more lucky in the last two minutes

Kb

Ahhhhhhh, no wonder. I don’t see his posts in my feed :afro:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BrazilianHawk said:

The point is, you can get rid of players that doesn't fit (Howard, should've gotten more for him) and that aren't worth their offers (Timmy Jr.) and keep adding pieces to fill those holes, via draft or whatever.

You don't need to suck to be good. That's the point. And please don't pretend the Hawks didn't reach the ECF, or the second round of the playoffs time and time again.

Remind me what our record was in that lone ECFs :blink:

Why are you OK with mediocrity. I want to see the win a championship, not just make the playoffs.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, StephenHawking said:

Kb

As Bill Parcells says, you are what your record says you are.  If this team was good, it would have a better record.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, StephenHawking said:

No. No, we couldn't. We're not that good. We suck. You're in denial.

As far as I can remember, some of the closest games of the season were the ones the Hawks actually won. So we could as easily be 0-13. The Hawks only won those games because the Mavs and Cavs shot HORRIBLY. Once KK got it going the Hawks gave up a 10+ point lead and almost lost that Cavs game.

We're too young. And that makes us bad. Really bad, actually.

1 hour ago, BrazilianHawk said:

I agree with some of this. But Dennis was #17, Prince was #12 and Collins was #19. If they are that good, why are the Hawks tanking the season? They could just keep picking in that 10-20 range and the team would be OK. It's much easier to add pieces when you have a good team. There was no need to gut the team or tank the season.

Fair, I agree with this. I think we could've been fine drafting midround IF we maintained some level of cap flexibility. Bazemore and Howard got in the way of that. Shoulda got a return for Horford+Millsap too. Too late for that though 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

Why are you OK with mediocrity. I want to see the win a championship, not just make the playoffs.

Now that's funny. You are content with being awful for years and criticize the ones who are OK with "mediocrity"? So if you don't win it all you are mediocre? What about the team that loses it all?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheFuzz said:

I think we could've been fine drafting midround IF we maintained some level of cap flexibility. Bazemore and Howard got in the way of that. Shoulda got a return for Horford+Millsap too. Too late for that though 

Bingo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BrazilianHawk said:

They did it, right? That's what matters to me. That was the best Atlanta Hawks ever, and yes, they got swept by the better team.

But the fact is they still did it.

Did what, not win a single game past the 2nd round since 1958? WOOP!!!

You have to actually be in the playoffs to win a championship.  

We could do that really easily if we wanted to. What good would that be? The Magic are 7-5 and 3rd in the East right now? Is that what you want for us? The rebuild should've started two years ago, but I'd rather start now than waste another two seasons hoping Lebron misses the playoffs or our franchise savior walks through the door. Being good got us nowhere but a sweep in the ECFs. It's time to learn from our mistakes, lose some games and get these draft picks right.

• Like 1