• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Tank Thread

Diesel

• Premium Member
On 08/11/2017 at 3:05 AM, KB21 said:

Great article from earlier this year on what to expect when you become a lottery team.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidberri/2017/10/16/before-the-season-even-starts-there-is-so-little-hope-for-nba-lottery-teams/#5d7132aa45bf

Looks like a great plan! After all, we will still have a 25% chance to win 50 games... When was the last time we did that, huh? Oh... yeah.

Wat about the teams that fail to win 15 games in a season? Any nimbers on that?.

• Premium Member
On 08/11/2017 at 6:50 AM, JTB said:

Yeah well as a fan that’s in between tanking and staying put I’m over it. While I agree with the article and it’s facts it doesn’t matter at this point the tanking process is already in progress.

but what scares me is what’s going on in the east...Celtics are clearly the best young east team we’ve seen in years and those guys are for real and will be around for a long while. Then the bucks go out and add Bledsoe to their young talented team making their roster better and I believe we aren’t done seeing other east teams make moves to get a lot better.

so you know this 2-3 year plan schlenk has stated sounds like a fairy tale. Sure the east is weak right now but what the east will look like in 2-3 years we may find ourselves overmatched....all I can say is I’m not too worried about who we draft , at the end of the day Schlenks plan better work. And perhaps I’m full of it but we need to return to the playoffs next season if we can...like I’ve stated tanking for one year ok...two straight seasons? No sir...If we can’t get to the playoffs and we suck the 2nd year anyways fine just don’t purposely tank like we are now.

two or three years from now:

The Celtics will still be WAAAAAAAAAY better than the Hawks.

The Pistons will be WAAAAAAY better than the Hawks.

The Wizards will be WAAAAAAAY better than the Hawks.

And the same can be said for the Cavs, the Bucks, the Magic probably and even the Sixers.

Two or three years from now, the Hawks will still be watching the playoffs from the comfort of their sofas.

Schlenk's masterplan has already failed.

But wait, We still can do an AMAZING job and draft studs like OKC did. So we can win the same amount of championships they did! Yeah. :applause:

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 09/11/2017 at 2:14 PM, KB21 said:

Booker does nothing else remotely well on the floor, and the Suns are still a horrific team.  Booker puts up empty points.  That's it.

These points are only empty because he's in PHX. But, when he leaves the team which has drafted him, then hecould be a championship piece. ELSEWHERE.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, BrazilianHawk said:

And the same can be said for the Cavs, the Bucks, the Magic probably and even the Sixers.

Two or three years from now, the Hawks will still be watching the playoffs from the comfort of their sofas.

But wait, We still can do an AMAZING job and draft studs like OKC did. So we can win the same amount of championships they did! Yeah. :applause:

2-3 years from now Hawks could be Menace, Doncic, Printz, The Baptist, all-star trade/FA. Or Menace, Klay, Printz, Baptist, Ayton. Or Menace, Klay, Printz, Bagley, Baptist. Those are all playoff teams, possible ECFs teams.  

• Premium Member
Just now, hazer said:

2-3 years from now Hawks could be Menace, Doncic, Printz, The Baptist, all-star trade/FA. Or Menace, Klay, Printz, Baptist, Ayton. Or Menace, Klay, Printz, Bagley, Baptist. Those are all playoff teams, possible ECFs teams.  

Coulda shoulda woulda... :kickcan:

And even if the Hawks had all these already NBA proven superstars (Doncic, Collins, Bagley, Ayton)... The Hawks wouldn't make the playoffs. Too raw, you see. We are very far away from having a team as good as two or three years ago.

• Premium Member
On 11/11/2017 at 2:01 PM, High5 said:

No. Instead of getting another sad participation ribbon in LeBron's annual pre-Finals exhibition tournament we decided to try to add real star talent to our team in by far the most likely way that was available to us

But you know these things so I'll leave it at that. I just hadn't contributed to the insane tank discussion circle on here in a while and was getting antsy.

Because we had a lot of success with this strategy before. I see, we got to the ECF with a bunch of lottery picks we drafted ourselves. I would think the Hawks drafted Ferry and Bud as well.

Someone here is living in an alternate universe.

• Premium Member
On 11/11/2017 at 2:39 PM, django2341 said:

I think we actually play nearly to good to tank lol. We could have won 5 games with ease even with this Team. Remember 4 Rotation guys are out as well. I´m good with tanking this year but i can see this Team going to the Playoffs earlier than you think. (means: next year) 

I am willing to make a glorius bet on that.

On 11/11/2017 at 5:41 PM, NBASupes said:

Our defense is trash and our offense lulls too long. This is like Brooklyn last year. No real difference. 

Except Brooklyn has a better Head Coach.

Schlenk continues with his roster mismanagement.  He's not going to apply for the hardship exemption to be able to bring in another player.  It's hard to have confidence in a guy who not only tanks your roster out but also signs Tyler Dorsey too soon and now will not apply for the hardship exemption due to the injuries the team has had.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, High5 said:

We struggled against the Nets before getting swept in the ECF by a team missing 2 All Stars. Sorry, that's not quite championship contention. And that was our peak 3 years ago. 

We were missing KK, Millsap was injured, DeMarre was on one leg... And the Cavs were better.

But this doesn't change the FACT that it was the best team the Hawks ever had in Atlanta. And it wasn't built by tanking.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, BrazilianHawk said:

We were missing KK, Millsap was injured, DeMarre was on one leg... And the Cavs were better.

But this doesn't change the FACT that it was the best team the Hawks ever had in Atlanta. And it wasn't built by tanking.

The Atlanta Hawks have never won a game outside of the second round of the playoffs.  The Atlanta Hawks have never had an MVP.  The St. Louis Hawks drafted an MVP #2 overall and have the rings to prove it.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, AHF said:

The Atlanta Hawks have never won a game outside of the second round of the playoffs.  The Atlanta Hawks have never had an MVP.  The St. Louis Hawks drafted an MVP #2 overall and have the rings to prove it.

We're not talking the 50s, are we? One would think things were different 60 years ago.

The Atlanta Hawks drafted #2 Marvin Williams and #3 Al Horford, #5 Shelden Williams, #6 Josh Childress, #11 Acie Law and have nothing to show for it.

The Atlanta Hawks signed #47 Paul Millsap, #51 Kyle Korver, #27 DeMarre Carroll to play with their own draftees #3 Al Horford and #19 Jeff Teague, and pulled off the feat to go to the ECF.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrazilianHawk said:

Coulda shoulda woulda... :kickcan:

And even if the Hawks had all these already NBA proven superstars (Doncic, Collins, Bagley, Ayton)... The Hawks wouldn't make the playoffs. Too raw, you see. We are very far away from having a team as good as two or three years ago.

"Coulda shoulda woulda" is a talking point of The Miserable Ones who are stuck in the past with no concept of the long view, not me. The scenario I predict is a "gonna", not a coulda-shoulda-woulda. Schlenkenholzer is telegraphing it. And those young stud players you mention will already have 2+ years under their belts, in Hawks University mind you, that 3rd year usually showing marked imrovement. The same years experience as the GrikFrik, Embiid (really still a rookie), KAT, Porzinger, Simmons, etc. do now. You can't just dismiss them because they'll only have 2 or 3 years experience just like you can't dismiss those names I've listed. 

Edited by hazer

2 hours ago, BrazilianHawk said:

Lol. Funny you put the Magic, Wizards and especially Sixers in the group of teams to be better than the Hawks. How do you think they got where they are?

• Like 3

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, BrazilianHawk said:

We're not talking the 50s, are we? One would think things were different 60 years ago.

The Atlanta Hawks drafted #2 Marvin Williams and #3 Al Horford, #5 Shelden Williams, #6 Josh Childress, #11 Acie Law and have nothing to show for it.

The Atlanta Hawks signed #47 Paul Millsap, #51 Kyle Korver, #27 DeMarre Carroll to play with their own draftees #3 Al Horford and #19 Jeff Teague, and pulled off the feat to go to the ECF.

So the Hawks built a foundation in the draft while F'ing up and won games in the first and second rounds and then signed free agents to add to them and got better while still winning only games in the first and second rounds.  Then the team entered a downward spiral leading to last year's group that barely won 50% of their games and would have required very large payouts to keep their best FAs who are both struggling (Millsap with his worst PER this decade and the worst WS/48 of his career and THJr with an abysmal dropoff in PER and WS/48 and a career low TS% to date).  So was the path to a championship capping yourself out by paying Sap and Timmy?  I don't think so.

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, AHF said:

So the Hawks built a foundation in the draft while F'ing up and won games in the first and second rounds and then signed free agents to add to them and got better while still winning only games in the first and second rounds.  Then the team entered a downward spiral leading to last year's group that barely won 50% of their games and would have required very large payouts to keep their best FAs who are both struggling (Millsap with his worst PER this decade and the worst WS/48 of his career and THJr with an abysmal dropoff in PER and WS/48 and a career low TS% to date).  So was the path to a championship capping yourself out by paying Sap and Timmy?  I don't think so.

Hmmm. Yes?

I mean, if you think Marvin, Acie, Shelden and Chillz were the foundation of that team. You probably know better than I do that the foundation of that team was built by Ferry, and not by the draft.

I never talked "championship". I just want to have a good team to cheer for. And I couldn't care less about Timmy. Good teams are made of irreplaceable players like 4-time All-Star Paul Millsap (you know, the kind of player we have... none?).

Schlenk set this franchise 5 years back (at the very least). It could be a decade (or more) for us to see this franchise getting to the ECF again.

Good teams have a shot at winning something. Crappy teams... yeah.

• Like 1

I did not expect the Hawks to be as bad as they have been.  I expected something more like a 35 win team.  So far, however, looks like the Hawks are one of the front runners for the first pick.  Some interesting talents to dream on at this point in the season.  Probably will be at least three more years until the team is competitive again unless they trade picks for players.

• Premium Member
56 minutes ago, TheFuzz said:

Lol. Funny you put the Magic, Wizards and especially Sixers in the group of teams to be better than the Hawks. How do you think they got where they are?

Exactly! They will be way better than the Hawks and will have won a grand total of ZERO championships.

This team really is retooling while remaining competitive. If we got rid of the 4 or so players that don't need to be on an NBA roster and replaced them with vets, we'd probably be .500. Most of the games we're playing we're relatively close in. If we hit on our draft picks we'll only be a year or two from making the playoffs. The east is that bad.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, hazer said:

"Coulda shoulda woulda" is a talking point of The Miserable Ones who are stuck in the past with no concept of the long view, not me. The scenario I predict is a "gonna", not a coulda-shoulda-woulda. Schlenkenholzer is telegraphing it. And those young stud players you mention will already have 2+ years under their belts, in Hawks University mind you, that 3rd year usually showing marked imrovement. The same years experience as the GrikFrik, Embiid (really still a rookie), KAT, Porzinger, Simmons, etc. do now. You can't just dismiss them because they'll only have 2 or 3 years experience just like you can't dismiss those names I've listed. 

Yawn.

People say "we're doing this because we want a championship!"

So wake me up when these guys have won a ring with their current franchises.

• Like 1