• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Tank Thread

Diesel

2 hours ago, KB21 said:

I got news for you.  It is highly unlikely that Porter is going to be a superstar scorer in the NBA.  His shot creation skills are below average because of his off the dribble skill being below average.  He's going to struggle to create his own shot when he can't rise up and shoot over someone.  He's similar to Andrew Wiggins in that he is over hyped, and his lone strong trait is his scoring, but he's different in that Wiggins has the athleticism to do what he wants to do with the ball and is not a great shooter.  Porter is overrated as a shooter (32% career three point shooter), but he does not have the athleticism to attack the basket like Wiggins does.

Well I know you rather have Dončić but he doesn’t have the speed or athleticism to take advantage to in favorable 1 on 1 matchups to score or the gift to score at will. 

Hopefully he gets taller than 6’7 because to me if he plays SG in the nba he will get exposed due to lack of speed and athleticism to keep up with these guys. He’d be perfect right at SF.

atleast for Porter he has height and wingspan working in his favor with a great chance at growing taller and longer over the next 3 or 4 seasons. And your wrong about Porter jr not being able to create his own shot. He very well can score off the dribble! ....Porter jr biggest flaw in my opinion is him not attacking the goal more. He has a huge tendency to shoot over his opponents far too often.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JTB said:

Well I know you rather have Dončić but he doesn’t have the speed or athleticism to take advantage to in favorable 1 on 1 matchups to score or the gift to score at will. 

Hopefully he gets taller than 6’7 because to me if he plays SG in the nba he will get exposed due to lack of speed and athleticism to keep up with these guys. He’d be perfect right at SF.

atleast for Porter he has height and wingspan working in his favor with a great chance at growing taller and longer over the next 3 or 4 seasons. And your wrong about Porter jr not being able to create his own shot. He very well can score off the dribble! ....Porter jr biggest flaw in my opinion is him not attacking the goal more. He has a huge tendency to shoot over his opponents far too often.

That's because he can't beat his opponents off the dribble.  

5 minutes ago, KB21 said:

That's because he can't beat his opponents off the dribble.  

He has shown that he can but being that he’s 6’10 with a wingspan of 7’0 , he’s taking advantage of his God given height & length same way dirk and kd does on most of their shots.

@KB21 @NBASupes

if we happen to get Dončić in the draft which is what @KB21 wants to happen...where does bud put him?

heres my concerns with Dončić:

-he lacks speed badly

-not athletic

-will likely not be a go to scorer in this league (something we badly need and my number 1 need for this off season coming up)

what I like:

-he’s the best playmaker in this draft class followed by Sexton in my opinion 

-he has the best experience playing overseas against better competition 

back to my question....where does bud put Dončić if we draft him?...to me you can’t put him at SG. Hes just too slow and not athletic enough to play against these SGs in the NBA! I don’t care what he’s doing overseas to those SGs they aren’t nearly as athletic as the nba SGs . Also I don’t believe he’d be a good penetrator at SG or will be able to really showcase his playmaking ability at SG therefore regarding all of this he’s a SF in my eyes.

however if we put him at SF, now what do we do with Prince? Will Prince now be forced to guard quicker opponents on a nightly basis? .....I like Dončić but i honestly only see one above average thing about him and that’s his playmaking. I see why there’s so many out there comparing him to Gallinori ....he’s a Gallinori with playmaking abilities at a shorter height.

if he grows and gets taller by the time the draft rolls around say he springs to 6’9 (grows 2 inches) he’d instantly climb my personal draft board.

Doncic is a shooting guard, clearly.  This idea that he lacks athleticism is a myth.  If he lacks athleticism, then so does Porter because Doncic does a much better job off the dribble and in one on one situations than Porter.  

Doncic is probably the best pick and roll ball handler I've ever seen as an 18 year old player.

• Like 1

Offensively, Doncic is a point guard. Just like Simmons, Lebron, Giannis, Harden etc.. he's handling the ball. Defensively he can guard the 2, 3, or even some smaller 4s once he gets stronger with NBA strength program (the comp I keep going to is Harden and he's shown he can do this as well). 

If we take Doncic, I'd look at the Rockets and try to build something similar to the support system they have there (before this year especially). I think they did a good job of boosting his strengths and covering his weaknesses.

edit: Also taking Doncic to me would signal that Schröder has been traded sometime before the draft. Don't like their fit together.

Edited by DBac

14 minutes ago, DBac said:

Offensively, Doncic is a point guard. Just like Simmons, Lebron, Giannis, Harden etc.. he's handling the ball. Defensively he can guard the 2, 3, or even some smaller 4s once he gets stronger with NBA strength program (the comp I keep going to is Harden and he's shown he can do this as well). 

If we take Doncic, I'd look at the Rockets and try to build something similar to the support system they have there (before this year especially). I think they did a good job of boosting his strengths and covering his weaknesses.

edit: Also taking Doncic to me would signal that Schröder has been traded sometime before the draft. Don't like their fit together.

I'd start by firing Travis Schlenk and hiring Gerson Rosas.

If Dennis is still on the team by the draft, then I expect Michael Porter to be the pick. Throw him at the 4 over Ersan. 

And tbh if Ressler has say then I imagine he'll be pushing for Porter to put butts and seats as well, no matter if Doncic would be the better long-term investment in that regard.

Edited by DBac

19 minutes ago, DBac said:

If Dennis is still on the team by the draft, then I expect Michael Porter to be the pick. Throw him at the 4 over Ersan. 

And tbh if Ressler has say then I imagine he'll be pushing for Porter to put butts and seats as well, no matter if Doncic would be the better long-term investment in that regard.

Keep Ressler out of the draft room.

Doncics "lack" of athleticism is ridiculous. He is not Zach Lavine, but he is comparable to a Gordon Hayward. Especially considering that he is only 18 years old and has never trained with great American/NBA athletic coaches etc. The only thing his athleticism will prevent him from doing is being an elite defender because of his lack of lateral quickness, which is something you cannot really train/fix. But he is far from an athletic liability.

Offensively, it is ridiculous to think that he would struggle scoring. He doesn't have to dunk over people to score, because he can already do literally anything else. He scored in 1vs1 situations in the post vs. Kristaps Porzingis and he routinely hits double-crossover step-back 3's over anyone, he scores on post-up hook-shots and fade-aways, he generates space for mid-range jumpers by dribbling and shot-fakes really well. Look at this video and just notice that it essentially has every possible way to score in it and all are executed cleanly at a very high level.

At worst, he will be Gordon Hayward 2.0 with a bit less quickness and a lot more skill/playmaking ability. He has also already made more clutch shots in big games than 95% of basketball players will make in their entire carreers, he is seriously clutch.

Most of the other top prospects have huge holes in their game.:

Marvin Bagley can only go left and is a bad free-throw shooter. He generally seems to have bad-average hands and I don't think he will become a good shooter. He also "impressed" playing as nearly one year older than the other players in his highschool class. Look at this video (the good and the bad) and you can see that this guy is years away from being a good NBA player and may or may not become an All-Star caliber player. What can he do except be "more athletic than the other guys"?

Deandre Ayton looks and plays like an 80's or 90's Center which is both good and bad. I really like him and his already good free-throw shooting is a big plus. But even if he becomes Patrick Ewing 2.0 or Dikembe Mutombo 2.0, (thjat's valuable of course!) I don't know if that is the skill set that will get you very far in todays game. Also, his effort seems to kinda up and down which is a big red flag this early in his carreer.

Mohamed Bamba will be a wasted pick if he is picked before Doncic/Porter Jr. or Ayton (and probably others). How useful are Bigs with no basketball skills right now? Not very.

All three have "great athleticism/measurements" as their main feature. That's not a good sign in my opinion. The only guy I would consider picking before Doncic is Porter Jr. because he can actually play basketball and I could see him become something like a a poor man's Kevin Durant (which would be a great thing).

But again: Doncic is already proven, he has great skills that are NBA-ready now and the "worst" part about him is not being more athletic than guys like Gordon Hayward and Danilo Gallinari, which are both All-Star caliber players (or close to it). And I would project him to become much better than both of them within a couple of years.

Or put it like this: Doncic is at worst a 2-years younger, taller version of Lonzo Ball with great shooting and already proven as a pro-player.

Edited by kurupt
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, kurupt said:

Doncics "lack" of athleticism is ridiculous. He is not Zach Lavine, but he is comparable to a Gordon Hayward. Especially considering that he is only 18 years old and has never trained with great American/NBA athletic coaches etc. The only thing his athleticism will prevent him from doing is being an elite defender because of his lack of lateral quickness, which is something you cannot really train/fix. But he is far from an athletic liability.

Offensively, it is ridiculous to think that he would struggle scoring. He doesn't have to dunk over people to score, because he can already do literally anything else. He scored in 1vs1 situations in the post vs. Kristaps Porzingis and he routinely hits double-crossover step-back 3's over anyone, he scores on post-up hook-shots and fade-aways, he generates space for mid-range jumpers by dribbling and shot-fakes really well. Look at this video and just notice that it essentially has every possible way to score in it and all are executed cleanly at a very high level.

At worst, he will be Gordon Hayward 2.0 with a bit less quickness and a lot more skill/playmaking ability. He has also already made more clutch shots in big games than 95% of basketball players will make in their entire carreers, he is seriously clutch.

Marvin Bagley can only go left and is a bad free-throw shooter. He generally seems to have bad-average hands and I don't think he will become a good shooter. He also "impressed" playing as nearly one year older than the other players in his highschool class. Look at this video (the good and the bad) and you can see that this guy is years away from being a good NBA player and may or may not become an All-Star caliber player. What can he do except be "more athletic than the other guys"?

Deandre Ayton looks and plays like an 80's or 90's Center which is both good and bad. I really like him and his already good free-throw shooting is a big plus. But even if he becomes Patrick Ewing 2.0 or Dikembe Mutombo 2.0, (thjat's valuable of course!) I don't know if that is the skill set that will get you very far in todays game. Also, his effort seems to kinda up and down which is a big red flag this early in his carreer.

Mohamed Bamba will be a wasted pick if he is picked before Doncic/Porter Jr. or Ayton (and probably others). How useful are Bigs with no basketball skills right now? Not very.

All three have "great athleticism/measurements" as their main feature. That's not a good sign in my opinion. The only guy I would consider picking before Doncic is Porter Jr. because he can actually play basketball and I could see him become something like a a poor man's Kevin Durant (which would be a great thing).

But again: Doncic is already proven, he has great skills that are NBA-ready now and the "worst" part about him is not being more athletic than guys like Gordon Hayward and Danilo Gallinari, which are both All-Star caliber players (or close to it). And I would project him to become much better than both of them within a couple of years.

I agree with most of this except your assessment of Ayton. He's projected to be almost as good and versatile as Karl Anthony Towns offensively. 

1 hour ago, kurupt said:

Or put it like this: Doncic is at worst a 2-years younger, taller version of Lonzo Ball with great shooting and already proven as a pro-player.

...Maybe I’m watching the wrong games of Dončić so I’ll admit maybe athleticism won’t be as big of a problem as I thought...maybe.

i will say I wouldn’t be shocked if he was bud/schlenk number 1 guy in this draft. He just seem like a bud/Spurs type pick and being that warriors mocked the spurs play type i wouldn’t be shocked if Schlenk was fully in on him and he was the hawks number one player on their draft board.

of course I don’t know bud or anyone in the hawks organization personally but I just know Dončić is buds favorite player in this draft. It just makes too much sense for bud in my opinion.

Edited by JTB
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, JTB said:

@KB21 @NBASupes

if we happen to get Dončić in the draft which is what @KB21 wants to happen...where does bud put him?

heres my concerns with Dončić:

-he lacks speed badly

-not athletic

-will likely not be a go to scorer in this league (something we badly need and my number 1 need for this off season coming up)

what I like:

-he’s the best playmaker in this draft class followed by Sexton in my opinion 

-he has the best experience playing overseas against better competition 

back to my question....where does bud put Dončić if we draft him?...to me you can’t put him at SG. Hes just too slow and not athletic enough to play against these SGs in the NBA! I don’t care what he’s doing overseas to those SGs they aren’t nearly as athletic as the nba SGs . Also I don’t believe he’d be a good penetrator at SG or will be able to really showcase his playmaking ability at SG therefore regarding all of this he’s a SF in my eyes.

however if we put him at SF, now what do we do with Prince? Will Prince now be forced to guard quicker opponents on a nightly basis? .....I like Dončić but i honestly only see one above average thing about him and that’s his playmaking. I see why there’s so many out there comparing him to Gallinori ....he’s a Gallinori with playmaking abilities at a shorter height.

if he grows and gets taller by the time the draft rolls around say he springs to 6’9 (grows 2 inches) he’d instantly climb my personal draft board.

Well Dennis is not the long term answer. He does not make players around him better. I'm on board with Doncic. Every NBA Euro that has played with him swear he's the real deal. 

2 hours ago, kurupt said:

Gordon Hayward is not someone I would draft with the top 3 pick. 

I rather good with elite tools, BBIQ, extremely high ceiling and being a unicorn everyday all day. 

Porzingis(Spain) wasn't as good as J. Okafor out of Duke. Giannis was an above average player in a 2nd division Greek league comparable to mid level NAIA. 

In the NBA, both of these guys are superstars by 21 and Okafor is doing nothing. 

Sorry but this league is about talented anomalies. I just don't see freak from Doncic the way I see it in Ayton and Bamba. You might be able to convince me that depending on how Porter Jr. plays in the SEC at Missou, maybe Doncic could be as good. Maybe. Not now but maybe, I been watching Doncic closely and I am just not seeing it. I don't see Lonzo Ball in his game either. He's not really a PG, he's just a great passer. He doesn't control tempo, run an offense or anything like that. 

I don't see it. I see his ability but I don't see how he can be a NBA superstar. Star, yes, superstar. I am not sold. Right now, I am waiting for the college season but I am currently looking at Ayton and Bamba more than Doncic for the Hawks. In fact, I am looking at Porter Jr. and Bagley as well. Bagley, a tad less due to Collins but it depends on how dominant Bagley is at Duke this year. 

Bagley has great hands. Have you watched Bagley in an actual game? Anyway, it's too early to be reading from posters on anyone but Doncic as college season hasn't started yet. So, I'll sit this one out but I've been watching Luka and this is BS. He's more Drazan P than Lonzo B. 

vor 8 Stunden, NBASupes sagte:

Gordon Hayward is not someone I would draft with the top 3 pick. 

I rather good with elite tools, BBIQ, extremely high ceiling and being a unicorn everyday all day. 

Porzingis(Spain) wasn't as good as J. Okafor out of Duke. Giannis was an above average player in a 2nd division Greek league comparable to mid level NAIA. 

In the NBA, both of these guys are superstars by 21 and Okafor is doing nothing. 

Sorry but this league is about talented anomalies. I just don't see freak from Doncic the way I see it in Ayton and Bamba. You might be able to convince me that depending on how Porter Jr. plays in the SEC at Missou, maybe Doncic could be as good. Maybe. Not now but maybe, I been watching Doncic closely and I am just not seeing it. I don't see Lonzo Ball in his game either. He's not really a PG, he's just a great passer. He doesn't control tempo, run an offense or anything like that. 

I don't see it. I see his ability but I don't see how he can be a NBA superstar. Star, yes, superstar. I am not sold. Right now, I am waiting for the college season but I am currently looking at Ayton and Bamba more than Doncic for the Hawks. In fact, I am looking at Porter Jr. and Bagley as well. Bagley, a tad less due to Collins but it depends on how dominant Bagley is at Duke this year. 

Bagley has great hands. Have you watched Bagley in an actual game? Anyway, it's too early to be reading from posters on anyone but Doncic as college season hasn't started yet. So, I'll sit this one out but I've been watching Luka and this is BS. He's more Drazan P than Lonzo B. 

I even linked a Bagley game, btw. The problem with all these "super prospects" is that their hype is mainly based around their physical tools (how many "physical freaks" that offered little else have failed in the last 20 years?), Highschool highlight-tapes  and performances against Highschool opponents. Even if they do relatively well in the NCAA, that's nearly exclusively against players that will never go Pro at all.

And the examples of Porzingis and Antetokounmpo compared to players like Milicic or Bargnani show how much of a crap shoot the NBA Draft is. The latter were "can't miss athletic/skilled freaks" while the former posed serious risks. There is a reason no one considered Antetokounmpo as a Top5 pick and that Porzingis was seen as a major gamble at the 5th spot.

Most people think that their "high upside Top-4 pick", of course, will be the Super-Superstar-Pick, but chances are higher that it doesn't turn out like that. Getting (at least!) a Star with those picks is super valuable. You can gamble with later picks, but you cannot miss on Top5-picks.

And here is the thing: even if you get an Anthony Davis or a Boogie Cousins or a Kyrie Irving or a John Wall, that doesn't change your franchise (enough). All of them are really good players but for all their talent and potential not one of them is able to change the fate of a franchise by themselves - maybe it still happens for a few of them, but so far it does not. That's not a knock on them, but it shows that even "successful" top draft picks are not the kind of transformational players that you and others hope for. These transformational players are usually guys were we know pretty well in advance (Lebron, Duncan, Durant) or players that just exceed even the most positive projections by a miles (guys like Kawhi Leonard, Nowitzki, Antetokounmpo etc.).

Usually you need 2+ really good players (All-Star+) to contend. The question is, do you risk "wasting" your Top4 pick on players that have a 50:50 chance of not being even a borderline All-Star in the hopes that maybe they become much more - or are you smart and pick someone who's floor is basically an All-Star player (and still with the chance to become Larry Bird 2.0 or Magic Johnson with a good 3-point shot) and mark "1 All-Star player" down in your checklist to become relevant again?

And it is amazing that you say that Doncic is not (at least) on Balls level. He does the exact same things since he was 16 years-old against much better competition - and he can shoot and score at an elite level. He literally is the Point Guard of Real Madrid this season, one of the best teams outside of the NBA that could probably beat the bottom third of the NBA, and he is dominating every aspect of the game. He is already there.

And here are the Top4 picks of the NBA draft ranging back to 2000. Think about how many of these players are not even "Gordon Hayward" or a comparable player - and see how many of them were "super athlete/big that moves well that might develop into a real basketball-player" kind-of picks:

wHGrrwrIKCyBgAAAABJRU5ErkJgggA=

Edited by kurupt