• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coach Search and Interviews

marco102

1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

Sir Lloyd Pierce...can’t say I know much about him. I may have inadvertently bumped into him in downtown in the bay in 95. 

Welcome Lloyd!

ps Can you change your last name. I’ve had bad experiences with Pierces in the past.

Welcome back Spud!

Maybe hiring Pierce is the fix we need!

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 3

Just now, Spud2nique said:

Missed you all! The place looks great!

Yes it does and a lot going on in the Hawks world. Lets get our coach locked up and hope for the best on the 15th with the ping pong balls!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

The Hawks organization quit on Bud.  Yet, we want to be rewarded with a #1 pick.

We quit on a guy who took a 60 win team to a team with a negative plus minus each of the last 2 seasons. I like Bud as a coach but rebuilding I believe was and is the right move and if Bud isn’t on board at 7 mill a year he has to go.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jungle Jack said:

Nicely done.  Wrote on another thread about how I hope we at least look at Nurse and how much pressure is going to be on the next Raptors HC.  Sounds like Pierce will be announced soon with me guessing maybe a 5 PM announcement to drive the local sports chat.  That and Bradley's latest screed sure sounds like helping to lay out the welcome mat with him going all in on what Philly has wrought.

I watch too much women's basketball.  Because when you said Nurse, this is the first person I thought of.

Image result for kia nurse wnba draft

• Premium Member
On 5/5/2018 at 4:39 PM, noble said:

Let's just hire Becky Hammon. I'd be down for that.

This, to me, would have been an exceptionally smart move. Exxxxxxxxceptionally.

For what it matters now, of course. She may have been that, but perhaps Pierce is one, too.

• Moderators
13 hours ago, sturt said:

This, to me, would have been an exceptionally smart move. Exxxxxxxxceptionally.

For what it matters now, of course. She may have been that, but perhaps Pierce is one, too.

I think Becky needs to go to a team that is more mature in their build.  As the first woman to be an NBA head coach, she would be under more scrutiny than a normal coach and there would be a group of people ready to jump on her after every loss.  My expectation is we will have a lot of losses this year regardless of who is coach and she would get written off unfairly by a portion of the population and the notion that this is evidence women can't do the job would be thrown out there and that would make it harder for the next woman to come along.  As a trailblazer, I don't think the match was right.

• Premium Member
58 minutes ago, AHF said:

I think Becky needs to go to a team that is more mature in their build.  As the first woman to be an NBA head coach, she would be under more scrutiny than a normal coach and there would be a group of people ready to jump on her after every loss.  My expectation is we will have a lot of losses this year regardless of who is coach and she would get written off unfairly by a portion of the population and the notion that this is evidence women can't do the job would be thrown out there and that would make it harder for the next woman to come along.  As a trailblazer, I don't think the match was right.

You raise a good issue, but on the other hand, if there would be a group of people ready to jump on her after every loss, how much easier would that be to deal with if she was walking into a situation where expectations were very low to begin with, and so the scrutiny would naturally match those lower expectations?

Put another way, fans/media blame losses on coaches or they blame losses on players.... in our case, who would they blame?

Now, if you're acquainted with this "glass cliff" theory that says women more routinely only get asked to do the CEO jobs that men don't want because those are jobs so much more challenging and prone to end in failure.... I certainly could see that being a theme that some would want to focus on. But I don't care. The nature of the beast is that owners and GMs of the more competitively mature teams are going to want to hire the head coach who most likely predicts success.... and Hammon or anyone else female or male can't get to that level without amassing some record that puts them on that plain.

My case for her to Ressler (I'm less certain that this is Schlenk's team now, but I recognize that's just my interpretation of recent events), practically writes itself.

Like the guy who got the job, she's well-regarded for her player development background... she has had success in her very very limited time coaching teams... and, her appointment would largely keep in place the same fundamental systems that have been successful elsewhere and, at least were thought, to be reason for belief in our eventual success here.

Of course, you're talking with the guy who was largely poo-poohed many many years ago on this forum for proposing that Pat Summit maybe should be given some consideration to take the reins in a brand new Philips Arena. If I recall correctly, we DID get a college coach after all. Lon Kruger. In hindsight, sure would have rather have seen how Summit would have done, me.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, AHF said:

More than anything. Becky needs a team with a stable from office - owner and GM.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

More than anything. Becky needs a team with a stable from office - owner and GM.

Maybe it's just me, but maybe Becky should progress from being a "behind the bench" coach to being an actual bench coach before she starts getting talked up as a head coaching candidate.

I'd rather see her earn the job based on her accomplishment's as a bench coach and not as a political statement for being a woman in a man's league.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, KB21 said:

Maybe it's just me, but maybe Becky should progress from being a "behind the bench" coach to being an actual bench coach before she starts getting talked up as a head coaching candidate.

I'd rather see her earn the job based on her accomplishment's as a bench coach and not as a political statement for being a woman in a man's league.

This isn't an unfair statement for the most part but there are men who get to skip the bench coach phase so I wouldn't assume her getting tapped would be more about her gender and less about her talent.  

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

This isn't an unfair statement for the most part but there are men who get to skip the bench coach phase so I wouldn't assume her getting tapped would be more about her gender and less about her talent.  

Does that really happen often though?  There have been some former players with no coaching experience make the leap, but when was the last time you saw a player development coach get a head coaching job?  That would be like Ben Sullivan getting a head coaching job.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Hadn't really thought about that, but I agree. Glad you're on board with my conclusion.

Hard to find a more stable situation than a relatively new owner and a relatively new GM, after all. One or the other for any given franchise is almost always potentially beyond their half-life in terms of tenure.

• Premium Member
43 minutes ago, AHF said:

Indeed, there are.

And I would assume whoever taps her..... wait, that didn't sound right.... whoever would hire her, I mean... would never acknowledge that they had the conversation about her sex even though why of course they did (... pet peeve of mine... she has female parts, and whether she is more feminine or masculine per se isn't the point, thus gender isn't actually what we're talking about... why do people hate to say "sex" anymore???... not a shot at AHF, b/c it's pretty much a ubiquitous thing these days). And why of course they would weigh-in to the equation the degree to which that is meaningful or not to both the actual coaching and to the external relations of the business side of the organization.... so maybe that second part tips the scale for a given team who otherwise was considering her otherwise equal to the other males they were interested in. Basketball is a business, not a social experiment, so why of course that would be part of the discussion and eventual decision.

And I still come down on the side that says... for BASKETBALL reasons... I would have liked to see her get the job, or at least, legitimate and serious consideration.

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Indeed, there are.

And I would assume whoever taps her..... wait, that didn't sound right.... whoever would hire her, I mean... would never acknowledge that they had the conversation about her sex even though why of course they did (... pet peeve of mine... she has female parts, and whether she is more feminine or masculine per se isn't the point, thus gender isn't actually what we're talking about... why do people hate to say "sex" anymore???... not a shot at AHF, b/c it's pretty much a ubiquitous thing these days). And why of course they would weigh-in to the equation the degree to which that is meaningful or not to both the actual coaching and to the external relations of the business side of the organization.... so maybe that second part tips the scale for a given team who otherwise was considering her otherwise equal to the other males they were interested in. Basketball is a business, not a social experiment, so why of course that would be part of the discussion and eventual decision.

And I still come down on the side that says... for BASKETBALL reasons... I would have liked to see her get the job, or at least, legitimate and serious consideration.

I'm just curious,  What makes you believe that she, for basketball reasons, would be a good head coach?  We haven't even seen her with a lot of coaching responsibility at this point.  Like I said above, she is a behind the bench coach.  She is equivalent in her status as a coach as a Ben Sullivan and Charles Lee are.

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I'm just curious,  What makes you believe that she, for basketball reasons, would be a good head coach?  We haven't even seen her with a lot of coaching responsibility at this point.  Like I said above, she is a behind the bench coach.  She is equivalent in her status as a coach as a Ben Sullivan and Charles Lee are.

Valid question.

I suppose I took away from her summer league coaching that she passed that test with flying colors, and then, that I've read similar quotes to what we're now reading with Pierce having gotten the job that Spurs players have a high opinion of her. And of course, Pop has had similar comments.

Yeah, yeah, I know, I know... the cynical side of me says "what else are they going to say about her... as-if they would go public with any concerns or negativity???"

But there's enough there, particularly again when you factor in the point that we would see a lot of continuity in structure by virtue of the Spurs connection, AND as was said before, that it's not as-if this league's franchises never bring a high-profile high-achievement player to the HC's role in an accelerated fashion... that I don't think it's too much to say "legitimate serious consideration".... we can argue about whether she gets the nod, but I feel safe that finalist status isn't a stretch.