• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Anyone have cold feet about Doncic?

JTB

Sadly we have a layup here with Doncic and I’m affrsid we trade it away for Trae Young and something else. Stupid trying to be smart. Often the best move is no move. 

Of corse when we could have had Giannus by moving 2 spots. We didn’t. 

13 hours ago, DrReality said:

2018 NBA Draft Rumors: Hawks Targeting Luka Doncic with No. 3 Overall Pick

SCOTT POLACEK
JUNE 19, 2018

The Atlanta Hawks are reportedly homing in on Slovenian prospect Luka Doncic leading up to Thursday's NBA draft.

According to Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN, "Doncic has moved to the forefront of Atlanta's internal conversation on the third overall pick." Wojnarowski noted the Hawks are also considering Duke's Marvin Bagley III and Michigan State's Jaren Jackson Jr. if they are available with the third pick.

I am good with Doncic. He will give us so much versatility and his skill set is off the charts. If we take him, he really opens up all our options with anyone we take next. It will not matter if our next pick is a PG, SG. PF/Center as BPA.

He is a no brainer in my mind. Schlenk has done his due diligence and worked out everyone possible but I have thought all along that if Doncic is there we will take him.

2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

My cold feet say... Darko.

I'm sorry.. there's too much mystery surounding Darko.. I mean Doncic. 

I'm sorry but this is just ill-informed, Dies.

Darko was a guy over there averaging like 6 and 7 and barely playing.  We know significantly more about Doncic than we ever knew about Milicic.

And I say that as one who has not been in favor of taking the guy.  The question I have is the degree to which he'll translate.  It's not on trepidation over how much we know about him.

You and Nick Young been partying with that guy in your avatar?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hawk88 said:

Sadly we have a layup here with Doncic and I’m affrsid we trade it away for Trae Young and something else. Stupid trying to be smart. Often the best move is no move. 

Of corse when we could have had Giannus by moving 2 spots. We didn’t. 

Nothing is a layup about Doncic. He's gonna be a solid NBA player at best. He'll struggle beating players off the dribble in this league

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Flight said:

I like Doncic but I just hope we don’t get Darko’d in the long run because of all this hype..

I understand the concern but Darko was a bench player putting up something like 6 points and 7 rebounds.

• Like 1

It seems to be the consensus that he’ll be a long-term defensive liability.  I’m a D first type of dude so my feets is freezing.

As skilled as he is no one is projecting Steve Nash level shooting-passing-dribbling: the same guy who killed his teams year after year because he was such a liability on the defensive end even as a great charge-taker (rebounds + steals + blocks= only 3.8 for his career.). Dennis is 4.3 and he’s a shit defender.

Although he’s big as hell (still waiting for his official size) you also can’t project Ben Simmons-like dominance around the paint.  Hell, not even Anfernee Hardaway.  Positionless basketball is good for some.  I can’t see it as a strength for him when his agility relative to NBA players seems lacking.  How much help would you have to give him in front of Oladipo?  Triangle-team?

If he’s as smart as they say he should be able to be serviceable through playing angles with his body and passing lanes with his length.  I’m just shaky on a guy with as many valid Euro-to-NBA question marks with a rookie coach.  Rubio had similar buzz and I have yet to understand why.  If Bud was still in tow I wouldn’t give a damn which of these Blue Chips fell or climbed to us.

1 hour ago, benhillboy said:

It seems to be the consensus that he’ll be a long-term defensive liability.  I’m a D first type of dude so my feets is freezing.

As skilled as he is no one is projecting Steve Nash level shooting-passing-dribbling: the same guy who killed his teams year after year because he was such a liability on the defensive end even as a great charge-taker (rebounds + steals + blocks= only 3.8 for his career.). Dennis is 4.3 and he’s a shit defender.

Although he’s big as hell (still waiting for his official size) you also can’t project Ben Simmons-like dominance around the paint.  Hell, not even Anfernee Hardaway.  Positionless basketball is good for some.  I can’t see it as a strength for him when his agility relative to NBA players seems lacking.  How much help would you have to give him in front of Oladipo?  Triangle-team?

If he’s as smart as they say he should be able to be serviceable through playing angles with his body and passing lanes with his length.  I’m just shaky on a guy with as many valid Euro-to-NBA question marks with a rookie coach.  Rubio had similar buzz and I have yet to understand why.  If Bud was still in tow I wouldn’t give a damn which of these Blue Chips fell or climbed to us.

He is 19 years old and has been competing against adults for several years.  He has about 2-3 years of growth potential.  

This guy can get leaner and more athletic very quickly.  How is he a concern?

On 6/18/2018 at 3:06 PM, JTB said:

Starting to hear rumors that we are again interested in Doncic...now of course we have to take every rumor we hear with a grain of salt until Thursday night but just let me say this..I’m high on Doncic (a 6 foot 8 passing SG/SF with a good looking jumpshot is intriguing)....but I’m scared to select him !

not nearly as afraid as I am of the hawks selecting JJJ but as we get closer  Doncic while I do like him I’m afraid of actually getting him unless we can someone pick in the top 10 twice .

thoughts?

Donic did great things in the euro league that doesn’t guarantee that he’s a star in the NBA . He just isn’t athletic enough for me to take at 3. He probably ends up being a good player and nice facilitator but to me you can’t pass on freaks of nature like MPJ and BAMBA 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I understand the concern but Darko was a bench player putting up something like 6 points and 7 rebounds.

I’m not saying he’d be darko in a sense that they got similar situations coming in from a basketball standpoint. 

Idk, I’m just no so sure he’s as safe a bet as people act like he is. Especially the way we talk about him in comparison to others. Something just doesn’t feel so safe to me.

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Flight said:

I’m not saying he’d be darko in a sense that they got similar situations coming in from a basketball standpoint. 

Idk, I’m just no so sure he’s as safe a bet as people act like he is. Especially the way we talk about him in comparison to others. Something just doesn’t feel so safe to me.

None of the players are safe picks, they're all flawed.

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

None of the players are safe picks, they're all flawed.

I just hope more posters get that understanding, because regardless who we get they at least deserve some time to prove themselves before we all go overboard with the critical opinions.

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Luka  Doncic = Joe Johnson

Ya'll cool with that?

Not me.  I think Doncic is a much better play maker and JJ was a significantly better shooter than Doncic at 19.  Both guys are a little slow afoot among SGs but crafty with the dribble with good size so there is overlap and there is a not a good comparison to be made in some aspects of their game but a situation where LD = JJ to me.  

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, Flight said:

I just hope more posters get that understanding, because regardless who we get they at least deserve some time to prove themselves before we all go overboard with the critical opinions.

I would think most do and as you pointed out, there needs to be time for development. But there will be 'lots if I told you so' if whoever we draft struggles. It's the 'i want immediate success now' fan.