• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ressler wanted Trae

bleachkit

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

So who did the front office want?

Doncic?

That is what has been reported today.

Regardless of how the whole trade works out, I will say I want no part of ownership making basketball decisions.  Like I wrote earlier yesterday prior to the draft, an owner hires a guy to be the basketball expert and to make these calls.  He needs to step out of the way of the expert and let the GM do what he was paid to do.  If you don't trust the GM's judgment then fire him but don't get in his way with your dreams of Dan Snyder / Jerry Jones / Michael Gearon style GMing from the owners box.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, benhillboy said:

Conte said that yesterday.  Apparently he’s been involved in basketball decisions for the past 6 months.  I don’t like it at all.  Bud nor Ferry would stand for that.

I don't get it.  I've read all day that Schlenk was putting together the East's version of the Warriors and Trae is the biggest part of that narrative.  But now we are supposed to believe that Schlenk REALLY wanted Luka and owners wanted Trae?  Don't buy it.  Doesn't make any sense.  

Now Schlenk said himself that the team was divided between Luka and Trae and that I believe, but he also said they liked both and had them on the same tier.  So if they rated them both similarly and could take Trae AND get a pick, that's a no brainer.  We can argue all day whether Trae and Luka should be rated similarly, but that's literally what Schlenk said in his presser.  Not sure what the benefit would be to lie about it so I'll take him at his word on that one.  And in that scenario, it makes sense to grab the pick from Dallas as well.  

I don't think this has to be some big conspiracy or controversy.  It doesn't have to be Schlenk vs Owners.  Just because they disagree on preference doesn't mean one forced their will on the other.  

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Brotha2ThaNite said:

Ha! lol smh

Now THAT I don't believe. This team's drafted too much like the Warroirs. Only our GM is responsible for that...

Oh and our coach liked Trae too, if you listened to the way Bob and Nique talked at the Hawks membership party.

I've heard that Lloyd's guy was Mo Bamba. That's who he wanted but was overruled.

11 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

I don't get it.  I've read all day that Schlenk was putting together the East's version of the Warriors and Trae is the biggest part of that narrative.  But now we are supposed to believe that Schlenk REALLY wanted Luka and owners wanted Trae?  Don't buy it.  Doesn't make any sense.  

Now Schlenk said himself that the team was divided between Luka and Trae and that I believe, but he also said they liked both and had them on the same tier.  So if they rated them both similarly and could take Trae AND get a pick, that's a no brainer.  We can argue all day whether Trae and Luka should be rated similarly, but that's literally what Schlenk said in his presser.  Not sure what the benefit would be to lie about it so I'll take him at his word on that one.  And in that scenario, it makes sense to grab the pick from Dallas as well.  

I don't think this has to be some big conspiracy or controversy.  It doesn't have to be Schlenk vs Owners.  Just because they disagree on preference doesn't mean one forced their will on the other.  

I am not buying all the drama either. Typical media rumors and for the most part it is typical Squawk to go into a feeding frenzy over them.

• Like 1

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I am not buying all the drama either. Typical media rumors and for the most part it is typical Squawk to go into a feeding frenzy over them.

I'm not hot and bothered.  Just saying that on principal I don't want owners overruling or forcing the hand of the basketball people.  Gearon blew up the last ownership group and Ferry based on that fight but most functional owners and GMs don't have that struggle.  The owners let the GM run the business as long as they trust them enough to have them employed.  Don't want a Dan Snyder in Atlanta.  Not saying that Ressler is the guy but if he is forcing Dwight Howard or forcing draft picks then I think that is unhealthy.

• Like 1

Just now, AHF said:

I'm not hot and bothered.  Just saying that on principal I don't want owners overruling or forcing the hand of the basketball people.  Gearon blew up the last ownership group and Ferry based on that fight but most functional owners and GMs don't have that struggle.  The owners let the GM run the business as long as they trust them enough to have them employed.  Don't want a Dan Snyder in Atlanta.

I don't think most pro teams are like that. Not NBA and NFL anyway. I think the Baseball draft is like a million players deep. War Room comes to mind for me. Owner, President and/or Vice President, GM, Head of Scouting, maybe a lead scout or two. A board is up and on everyone's laptops then there are discussions, sometimes arguments, and then a decision is made. Sometimes it is clear cut and sometimes the players are ranked very close.

I can see a scenario in many of them where a Head Coach, Head of Scouting, and GM differ on two closely ranked players. Say Bamba and Trey for instance. Owner may be the tie breaker or the owner delegates the GM to make the call. It is only drama if you do not have someone with a final voice. I am not feeling any indecisiveness on our part in this one.

I think the deal breaker that held things up was sending Bazemore as was first rumored a 1/2 hour or more before the draft. Once he was taken out, the deal got done. We made the trade as soon as we hit the clock per Woj's announcement at the same time on TV last night.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I'm super more excited about the Dallas pick (even though they could really be much better when the pick conveys) than I would be about unloading Baze.  Baze is a great attitude, will come off the bench, plays solid all-around game....No need to rush to move on from him if you aren't willing to spend money.  Dennis will likely be more similar to Dwight as far as a need to unload.  I think it will happen this summer after FA is underway and some teams figure out they don't have many options.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AHF said:

I'm super more excited about the Dallas pick (even though they could really be much better when the pick conveys) than I would be about unloading Baze.  Baze is a great attitude, will come off the bench, plays solid all-around game....No need to rush to move on from him if you aren't willing to spend money.  Dennis will likely be more similar to Dwight as far as a need to unload.  I think it will happen this summer after FA is underway and some teams figure out they don't have many options.

I think Cuban wanted Baze. Makes sense if he has plans to try and get back in the playoffs. I am glad we kept him as well.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Buzzard said:

I think Cuban wanted Baze. Makes sense if he has plans to try and get back in the playoffs. I am glad we kept him as well.

If he wanted Baze and would have thrown in more value for him then I'd be all listening.  What I saw reported was us giving up Baze as a salary dump in lieu of the 2019 pick.

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

If he wanted Baze and would have thrown in more value for him then I'd be all listening.  What I saw reported was us giving up Baze as a salary dump in lieu of the 2019 pick.

I just looked and you are correct. The first offer was 3 for 5 and Baze for Mathews.

Then Cuban offered:

Dallas' preferred trade offer to Atlanta this week had been the No. 5 pick plus the No. 33 pick for the No. 3 pick, I've been told, but Atlanta wouldn't bite.

Deal got done when the first was put in play.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/nba-draft-2018-rumors-atlanta-hawks-select-luka-doncic-trade-dallas-mavericks-oklahoma-trae-young/kvqoeid1f2961x0xmeg3tap0d

• Moderators

Will be interesting to see whether the future pick we got or the future pick Philly got ends up better.  The pick they got may come in the same draft where you will have both the last freshmen in one and done and the first HSers back in and it is completely unprotected.

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

Will be interesting to see whether the future pick we got or the future pick Philly got ends up better.  The pick they got may come in the same draft where you will have both the last freshmen in one and done and the first HSers back in and it is completely unprotected.

I really hope our pick ends up 6 - 10. I think we can do some real damage with that.

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I just looked and you are correct. The first offer was 3 for 5 and Baze for Mathews.

Then Cuban offered:

Dallas' preferred trade offer to Atlanta this week had been the No. 5 pick plus the No. 33 pick for the No. 3 pick, I've been told, but Atlanta wouldn't bite.

Deal got done when the first was put in play.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/nba-draft-2018-rumors-atlanta-hawks-select-luka-doncic-trade-dallas-mavericks-oklahoma-trae-young/kvqoeid1f2961x0xmeg3tap0d

If Schlenk had done #3 and Baze for #5 and Wez that would have been disastrous.

Good thing the Mavs backed out, they didn't want the extra year of Baze's salary.