• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who might be this FA season's quality acquisitions by the Colonel?

sturt

• Premium Member

I've said repeatedly, I'm something less than a Travis Schlenk fan, but I do try to give credit when/where credit is due regardless... and he certainly turned in more wins this past off-season than losses in the player acquisition part of his job description.

So on the eve of 2018 FA launch, who do you want to guess will be this off-season's Dedmon?

I really hope we are still considering Mike Beasley. We would have a REALLY good bench with him backing up both Forward spots. I really think this direction will make us a better team faster although I don’t think it’s championship basketball. It will put us closer to attracting the defensive cornerstone(s) we need to be contenders though. 

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Mario Herzonja.

That wouldn’t be a bad get to back up Prince. He’s still young with a lot of potential to develop. Would he sign here for a bench role though ? Will he develop into a good perimeter shooter ? I didn’t know he was a FA. Why tf would Orlando Let a 22 yo forward that they spent a lottery pick on just walk away ? What’s going on down there ?

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

That wouldn’t be a bad get to back up Prince. He’s still young with a lot of potential to develop. Would he sign here for a bench role though ? Will he develop into a good perimeter shooter ? I didn’t know he was a FA. Why tf would Orlando Let a 22 yo forward that they spent a lottery pick on just walk away ? What’s going on down there ?

Stupid Orlando didn't tender his qualifying offer so he is an UFA.

I don't think he'll start no matter where he goes.  Read somewhere Kings are interested in him.

My obvious choices in no certain order:

MCW

Yogi Ferrell

Dante Exum

Shabazz Napier

Fred VanFleet

We need a 3rd PG. If the plan is to move Dennis, the focus needs to be on quality since he will eventually be our 2nd PG.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GameTime said:

Get ready for Luol Deng.

Are they willing to attach Brandon Ingram in a deal to move Deng's salary?  I'm not even sure Ingram by himself is enough, but I think he's a starting point.  I'd prefer Kyle Kuzma, but I doubt they move an effective player who is at his salary.  Ingram is owed more money, and he's by and large a bust to this point.  

• Like 1

My wishlist (in no particular order):

1. Alex Len

2. Seth Curry

3. Michael Beasley

4. Michael Carter-Williams

We need a center and another guard who can shoot. Beasley brings some toughness, and Carter-Williams has some length to him at the guard position.

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, GameTime said:

Get ready for Luol Deng.

Wouldn't doubt that the emphasis could be on adding still more draft picks over picking up value-stock talent this time.

3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I would like Dougie Mac. Anything under 3 mil is fine with me. 

He instantly makes me recall the post you had about Draymond and his draft personality evaluation.  McDermott has the size and skills to be much better than he has been but it’s solely between the ears.  He’d be Mirotic-like if he had the intangibles.

• Like 2

My realistic get is Marcus Smart.  I don't like his offensive game, but I think he's a good fit next to Trae defensively.  I think Boston thinks hard about matching a strong offer since they've got to consider the contracts they'll have to dole out over the next few years.  The question is how much makes Boston blink without overpaying for him?  

For the right amount of money, I wouldn't mind Nerlens Noel either.  

If DeMarcus Cousins is going to be out most of the year... I hope we'd throw money at him. I'm thinking 4 years/100-110 million with a team option after 2. That's not the direction Schlenk is looking, but I'd rather buy low on premier talent than take on bad contracts for mediocre returns.

More realistically, I wouldn't mind going after Mario Hezonja, Nerlens Noel, Pat McCaw, Noah Vonleh, Dante Exum, David Nwaba, Jerami Grant, Alex Len or Glenn Robinson III.

Some younger guys that would take a bench role and still might have some upside. Seems like this offseason there will be bargains to be had.

1 hour ago, nathan2331 said:

If DeMarcus Cousins is going to be out most of the year... I hope we'd throw money at him. I'm thinking 4 years/100-110 million with a team option after 2. That's not the direction Schlenk is looking, but I'd rather buy low on premier talent than take on bad contracts for mediocre returns.

More realistically, I wouldn't mind going after Mario Hezonja, Nerlens Noel, Pat McCaw, Noah Vonleh, Dante Exum, David Nwaba, Jerami Grant, Alex Len or Glenn Robinson III.

Some younger guys that would take a bench role and still might have some upside. Seems like this offseason there will be bargains to be had.

I agree with you on this, with 25 of 30 teams over the cap, there are some bargains out there, I will guess we are going to spend a small chunk of change on one player, then a vet minimum or dleague type player to fill the roster, and keep some cap for taking on a player in a salary dump.

Near the end of free agency, there will be some desperate teams looking to shed cap.