• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2018 Free Agency...cont'd

JayBirdHawk

:aikido:

Are we there yet? 

Someone is going to pass on that unwanted, high priced veteran player.  They want $$$$ relief, getting under the cap and save that huge $$$$ penalty.  Do we send them something?  Some G league type players?  How do we balance out this deal?  Do we get draft picks for helping out?  Explain our options, please.

Hawks were not very good last season.  If not for the tank, we all believe we could have won an extra game or so.  Since they have changed the rules for next season, the tank may not be as important.  It could be, as the end of the season comes closer and closer and our three teen draft picks mature, we become better and dangerous to some of those teams having trouble making the cut!!

:air_kiss:

I saw a great question posed on TOS ... how much is MIN kicking itself for giving Wiggins that extension to prevent him from being a rFA?  Nobody's getting paid that kind of money this offseason.  They vastly over-paid that dude.

8 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I saw a great question posed on TOS ... how much is MIN kicking itself for giving Wiggins that extension to prevent him from being a rFA?  Nobody's getting paid that kind of money this offseason.  They vastly over-paid that dude.

? they did they did. Oh man, is that why Soth is upset? Or is it really Trae? Wish I could send Jokic to his house to cheer him up. What would Soth do if Jokic showed up in a Borat’s style string bikini ? in Volt...?

• Like 1

We are close to seeing some movement on Carmelo Anthony.  He's been given permission to talk to the Rockets and Heat.  OKC is going to discuss a trade with someone about taking his contract as an expiring deal.  They will have to give up a likely unprotected 1st to do it, but that pick will be down the road.

The Hawks are the only team that may be able to absorb the salary of Carmelo while sending nominal contracts back to make the difference.  If the Hawks do this, they will then buy out Carmelo and let him go to Miami/Houston as a free agent.

9 hours ago, AHF said:

This makes me happy to think the Celtics won’t get him back on a cheap deal.

Someone needs to put Boston to a test. I am scared we may get stuck with him if we did. I think he is wanting 12 million a year.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

Someone needs to put Boston to a test. I am scared we may get stuck with him if we did. I think he is wanting 12 million a year.

I want the Kings to price enforce.

• Like 1

Here's the thing with a potential OKC deal.  The pick cannot convey till around 2023, and it may just be that 2022-23 will be a down year for them as I anticipate George walking and Westbrook opting out by that time.  If you don't have any protections on that pick, that could be a lottery pick in a year where Atlanta finally makes the playoffs.

• Admin
15 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Surprises me that they would take back a 13 million dollar contract.  That still really hurts them in cap money/taxes.  Release him and try to sign Wayne Ellington to the MLE ... their biggest needs are 3 point shooting and a PF.  Moose would actually be a nice fit there

29 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

Surprises me that they would take back a 13 million dollar contract.  That still really hurts them in cap money/taxes.  Release him and try to sign Wayne Ellington to the MLE ... their biggest needs are 3 point shooting and a PF.  Moose would actually be a nice fit there

It is weird that they would want Lin. Maybe we are not chasing him. The biggest recent buyout, Dwades's 23.8 million dollar contract, cost Chicago 8.3 million.

I imagine Melo will want that or higher.

Link:

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/2/9/16994790/nba-free-agency-nba-buyout-market-explained-how-do-contract-buyouts-work

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

If they release him, his money still counts against the cap along with Luxury Tax.  They can stretch his salary but still a $9 mil cap hit plus LT.

11 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

It is weird that they would want Lin. Maybe we are not chasing him. The biggest recent buyout, Dwades's 23.8 million dollar contract, cost Chicago 8.3 million.

I imagine Melo will want that or higher.

Link:

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/2/9/16994790/nba-free-agency-nba-buyout-market-explained-how-do-contract-buyouts-work

Easier to stretch Lin's $9mil? $3 mil cap hit for 3 years. Vs $9 mil for 3 years.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If they release him, his money still counts against the cap along with Luxury Tax.  They can stretch his salary but still a $9 mil cap hit plus LT.

Easier to stretch Lin's $9mil? $3 mil cap hit for 3 years. Vs $9 mil for 3 years.

True and it would save them a little more to trade with us. Lin is 12.56, Plumlee is 12.0. Not a big difference though. I just have to think we are not pursuing him as hard as the Nets if this rumor is true.

2 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

True and it would save them a little more to trade with us. Lin is 12.56, Plumlee is 12.0. Not a big difference though. I just have to think we are not pursuing him as hard as the Nets if this rumor is true.

Now I get it. Plumlee still has two years left. Lin just one,

• Like 1