• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I know it's still early but Schlenk....

sillent

Travis Schlenk in only 2 yrs of drafting may have the best draft record in Hawks history very soon if his 3 new draftees pan out and last yrs draft picks continue to get better.

I love Taurean Prince and Deandre Bembry (hope he stays healthy) Budcox did a great job picking them especially in that draft. Looking at some of our picks that panned out only 2 were allstars Al Horford, Jeff Teague. Josh Smith should have been an allstar 1 or 2 of those yrs (especially the one when Horford went down). Marvin Williams (with all bias is atleast still in the league and starts I believe.

That's a possible 5/6 good players in the last decade or so picked by atleast 3 different group of gm's. If Trae, Huerter, & Spellman become anything close to their counterparts out west Curry, Klay, Draymond they will be great picks and Collins is already looking like a future star. Tyler Dorsey has been way better than expected as well and still improving. Hate it or love it but Schlenk so far has been doing a pretty good job in the draft department and I'm excited to see what all of our homegrowns can become as the seasons progress! 

• Like 3

If you watch this video, notice 2 things...how effortless his shot is...his perfect balance and 2 how many of these 3's he takes are already at NBA range or beyond.  He is a special shooter and most importantly a team player.  He is comfortable taking 3 shots or 30...its never about him.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

He should have drafted Mitchell Robinson with that 34th pick.:angry:  Still like his talent evaluation skills!:biggrin:

Or Melton, Frazier, Justin Jackson yeah I definitely feel you. Look at all of our pass picks though and this guy looks like a genius.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, sillent said:

Or Melton, Frazier, Justin Jackson yeah I definitely feel you. Look at all of our pass picks though and this guy looks like a genius.

We need another big on this team and a true back up 3.

Please Stop comparing our draft picks to Curry,Klay, and Draymond..Thats the main reason Trae has so many haters.Just sayin...Traes game is more like Nash. Spellman is more like Speights. Hueter IDK yet. lol..

I'd agree on the big but I think between Prince, Bembry, Huerter and Baze (or who ever we get for him can hold down that fort). I'd even play Collins at the 3 in some instances where we are facing a big 3 and need a bigger defender. He is becoming more versatile and is more flexible than a common pf or center.

3 minutes ago, terrell said:

Please Stop comparing our draft picks to Curry,Klay, and Draymond..Thats the main reason Trae has so many haters.Just sayin...Traes game is more like Nash. Spellman is more like Speights. Hueter IDK yet. lol..

Lol... If the draft didn't portray exactly that with Schlenks link to the Warriors and saying all last year "his job is to draft the next Stef, Klay and Draymond" than I would. It's hard not to after and because of all of that.

Yea I mean Huerter may potentially have a more well rounded offensive game than Klay, but damn their shooting form is very similar. Huerter looks damn good and if nothing else should be an show-in 40%+ 3pt shooter. I think he has All Star Reserve type potential even if he wasn’t on a really good team. He’s got one of the quickest triggers I’ve seen without having a completely broken shot. This team will be sneaky good in a couple of years. Despite the naysayers, I just can’t see this tank lasting more than another 2 seasons unless we purposely bottom out the roster.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, thecampster said:

If you watch this video, notice 2 things...how effortless his shot is...his perfect balance and 2 how many of these 3's he takes are already at NBA range or beyond.  He is a special shooter and most importantly a team player.  He is comfortable taking 3 shots or 30...its never about him.

You also notice that most of his threes comes off the screen.   He's a little Reggie Miller.   The question is will we run offense sets where he comes off a pick and gets the ball?

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, terrell said:

I see him more like Reggie Miller.   He can shoot.   I think that is what Schlenk and Lloyd want... players that can space the floor with their shooting.   Unfortunately, most of his best shots are off of screens.   That suggests that he's not a quick release.  But he does have a smoove release AND his Body is always squared up perfectly... even off the screen.   If he's strong enough to do that with the contact then we may have something here. 

4 hours ago, sillent said:

Lol... If the draft didn't portray exactly that with Schlenks link to the Warriors and saying all last year "his job is to draft the next Stef, Klay and Draymond" than I would. It's hard not to after and because of all of that.

He didnt mean literally..lol. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, sillent said:

Travis Schlenk in only 2 yrs of drafting may have the best draft record in Hawks history very soon if his 3 new draftees pan out and last yrs draft picks continue to get better.

I love Taurean Prince and Deandre Bembry (hope he stays healthy) Budcox did a great job picking them especially in that draft. Looking at some of our picks that panned out only 2 were allstars Al Horford, Jeff Teague. Josh Smith should have been an allstar 1 or 2 of those yrs (especially the one when Horford went down). Marvin Williams (with all bias is atleast still in the league and starts I believe.

That's a possible 5/6 good players in the last decade or so picked by atleast 3 different group of gm's. If Trae, Huerter, & Spellman become anything close to their counterparts out west Curry, Klay, Draymond they will be great picks and Collins is already looking like a future star. Tyler Dorsey has been way better than expected as well and still improving. Hate it or love it but Schlenk so far has been doing a pretty good job in the draft department and I'm excited to see what all of our homegrowns can become as the seasons progress! 

I'm not sure how many times I will have to say this, but I will again......I tip the scales for drafting Collins and the 2017 draftees in BudCox and their scouting teams favour as did Schlenk.

Schlenck said he was scouting later picks while still with GSW and relied heavily on the existing team that did the leg work scouting and preparing for the draft. He wasn't just going to come in and change the draft process.

Collins was on the radar long before Schlenk:

Several times last season, Collins would get a nudge from yet another connection between the Hawks and Wake Forest with the raised possibility that he could begin his professional career in Atlanta.

Mit Shah is a Wake Forest alum and a major benefactor to the school. He recently donated $5 million to the school to build a basketball practice facility. Shah also happens to be a co-owner of the Hawks as he joined the investment team led by principal owner Tony Ressler that purchased the team two years ago.

“He was always nudging me and saying, ‘If you are around at 19, we are going to take you,’” the 19-year-old Collins said. “He came through on his word. I’m happy to be a Hawk. I’m happy to be in Atlanta.”

Shah did more than suggest Collins could be a Hawk. He brought assistant general manager Jeff Peterson to a Wake Forest-Duke game. He spoke to coach Mike Budenholzer about Collins several times before an interview at the NBA Scouting Combine in May.

“We really thought there was no chance he would be there when we picked and there was absolutely no chance he was going to get by us at 19,” Shah said.

Shah was in the Hawks’ war room on draft night Thursday. Manning was at the draft in Brooklyn to support Collins. They began a rapid text exchange when it became clear the Hawks were going to select Collins. Shah described the Hawks’ room as “ecstatic” with the selection.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.myajc.com/sports/basketball/collins-the-latest-connection-between-hawks-wake-forest/dpa23mwhkHHaMNxCu2fVqM/amp.html

5 hours ago, terrell said:

And people need to stop acting like Dennis isn't approaching borderline All-Star level.  As good as some of those past players were, NONE of them can say that they had a game like this

• Like 3

6 hours ago, terrell said:

Yep. I don't think Young is going to be the explosive scorer in the NBA... The more I see of him, the more I see him as a player that will work best on more talented teams where he can feed other scorers and that will open up his own offense. I don't see him being a Westbrook kind of scorer that can just come in and dominate defenses night in and night out.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

Yep. I don't think Young is going to be the explosive scorer in the NBA... The more I see of him, the more I see him as a player that will work best on more talented teams where he can feed other scorers and that will open up his own offense. I don't see him being a Westbrook kind of scorer that can just come in and dominate defenses night in and night out.

Thank you Jesus!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

He should have drafted Mitchell Robinson with that 34th pick.:angry:  Still like his talent evaluation skills!:biggrin:

D Anthony Melton is that guy, but Mitchell looked good too. He will be the guy that when the draft is re drafted should have gone in the lottery. This guy was stat stuffing like I expected in summer league.  Strong and physical already and quick enough to get wherever he wanted on the court. Finishing through contact already and showing PG ability already after playing no organized basketball for a year.

He's Marcus Smart with better basketball IQ. If he shoots it like he did in Summer league NBA beware.  Marcus Smart with a jumper and better IQ, it's scary. Houston will have a hard time not giving him minutes. 

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, ATLien_ said:

D Anthony Melton is that guy, but Mitchell looked good too. He will be the guy that when the draft is re drafted should have gone in the lottery. This guy was stat stuffing like I expected in summer league.  Strong and physical already and quick enough to get wherever he wanted on the court. Finishing through contact already and showing PG ability already after playing no organized basketball for a year.

He's Marcus Smart with better basketball IQ. If he shoots it like he did in Summer league NBA beware.  Marcus Smart with a jumper and better IQ, it's scary. Houston will have a hard time not giving him minutes. 

We have 3 point guards on the roster now and used a top 5 pick on one...we need a defensive big like yesterday

I’d like to see these guys play against NBA talent before anointing Schlenk. It’s a massive jump that has scuttled many a projection over the years.  My gut says Huerter and Spellman will be good value at their spots, but it will mean little if Trae Young is just an average PG while Doncic is All-NBA.  The draft hinges on Schlenk’s being correct in that very controversial and unpopular decision.  The consensus said take the player who fell into your lap.  His move was bold and risky (and I will always say he could’ve squeezed Dallas for more), but he has to be right for this to be a defining draft.