• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Female Broadcasters

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

The old adage that female broadcasters in sports are just "spoon fed" information, is about 20 years out of date.  Most of the females you see your your TV screens know what they are talking about.    When you listen to someone like Maria Taylor converse about football, you now right off the bat that she isn't just reading off of a teleprompter.  Doris Burke is quickly becoming the female version of Hubie Brown, with the basketball knowledge she kicks off the top of her head.

As for Rosa, she's a former hooper . . . and she can play defense.

now = know

Not 20 years old.

A few years ago, the NFL did that, I can't remember the name of the woman.

There was a big bruhaha - they brought back Michelle Tafoya - she's good.

5 hours ago, kg01 said:

Yeah?!  Well, I don't like you either!!!!

Not really, I don't even know you.  I just saw a crowd gathering and decided to pick a side. :hmm:

On a serious note, I do think 'chick' has a generally negative connotation.  The offensiveness of others, like 'darling' or w/e, seem to be based on context.  'Chick' seems dismissive.

Just my $2.

On topic, I don't think the announcers were all that great.  Ledlow was bad, didn't catch much of Rose.  Similarly, to me, Jared Greenberg was bad too so it wasn't just the ladies.  I should say, though, that announcing is just like officiating.  I only really notice it if it's bad (or hawt).

The problem is that when it is asserted that there are females on the sideline or in whatever capacity with a sports media outlet that they are only there to serve as eye candy.  That is ironically the shaming going on here.  As if a beautiful female can't possibly have a brain or anything worthy of her position other than eye candy for guys unless they literally perform up to some standard that a bunch of guys seem to set in the first place that sets them apart.  It's absurd. 

And let's not get into male athletes being more or less given media jobs when they retire because they played when they are sometimes obviously reading prompters and suddenly become somewhat inarticulate when they have to think quickly without a pre-scripted narrative to follow.  But they played the game and they're guys so they can't possibly just be there without any merit like these clueless bimbos right?  I judge every person in the media based on how well they do their job.  The gender doesn't even come to mind.  Just imagine for a moment if a male(or female really) team owner, politician, major corporate ceo, etc. were echoing the same basic opionion as in op's first post in an interview on tv or wherever they might be publicly opining on such a matter.  What do you think the reaction from the world would be?  I got news for you.  It wouldn't end well for them because it's clearly misogynistic. 

Papa John probably, much like op, probably is sitting there today wondering how America became such a bunch of sensitive bunch of whiners.  He, like op, suffers from being tone deaf and living in a bubble that gets reinforced instead of challenged.  That's the only point I'm trying to make and if you think I'm wrong, try speaking of females in such a manner more publicly in your life.  If you run for office, let this nugget about your mindset out there for the general public to decide.  We'll see how it works out for you.  Alas this is just a message board for a sports team so it's a safe space to be controversial but trust me it wouldn't fly in a more important arena where there are consequences for speaking in ignorant and tone deaf ways.

1 hour ago, Eddielives said:

The problem is that when it is asserted that there are females on the sideline or in whatever capacity with a sports media outlet that they are only there to serve as eye candy.  That is ironically the shaming going on here.  As if a beautiful female can't possibly have a brain or anything worthy of her position other than eye candy for guys unless they literally perform up to some standard that a bunch of guys seem to set in the first place that sets them apart.  It's absurd. 

And let's not get into male athletes being more or less given media jobs when they retire because they played when they are sometimes obviously reading prompters and suddenly become somewhat inarticulate when they have to think quickly without a pre-scripted narrative to follow.  But they played the game and they're guys so they can't possibly just be there without any merit like these clueless bimbos right?  I judge every person in the media based on how well they do their job.  The gender doesn't even come to mind.  Just imagine for a moment if a male(or female really) team owner, politician, major corporate ceo, etc. were echoing the same basic opionion as in op's first post in an interview on tv or wherever they might be publicly opining on such a matter.  What do you think the reaction from the world would be?  I got news for you.  It wouldn't end well for them because it's clearly misogynistic. 

Papa John probably, much like op, probably is sitting there today wondering how America became such a bunch of sensitive bunch of whiners.  He, like op, suffers from being tone deaf and living in a bubble that gets reinforced instead of challenged.  That's the only point I'm trying to make and if you think I'm wrong, try speaking of females in such a manner more publicly in your life.  If you run for office, let this nugget about your mindset out there for the general public to decide.  We'll see how it works out for you.  Alas this is just a message board for a sports team so it's a safe space to be controversial but trust me it wouldn't fly in a more important arena where there are consequences for speaking in ignorant and tone deaf ways.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/84942428/female-sideline-reporters-erin-andrews-pam-oliver-held-back-by-biases-restrictions

Women sideline reporters are removed from the field at a far younger age than regular commentators, ostensibly due to an unwritten requirement that sideline reporters be young, attractive females. Pam Oliver will have her final on-field season at 53 years old; Andrea Kremer left the field at 52, Suzy Kolber at 48. Every current female sideline reporter is under 50 years old (although Michele Tafoya will turn 50 in December). The same cannot be said about commentators, many of whom are over the half-century mark, including prominent voices Jim Nantz (55), Phil Simms (59) and Al Michaels (69). John Madden retired from broadcasting when he was 73, Pat Summerall at 72 (although he commentated sporadically thereafter) and Dan Dierdorf at 64. There is an age ceiling for female sideline reporters that simply doesn't exist for male commentators. Pam Oliver seems to recognize as much, telling Deitsch, "I live in the real world and I know that television tends to get younger where women are concerned." (Oliver has made clear she does not want to leave the sidelines but was left no choice.) Erin Andrews, who will be replacing Oliver, is 36.

Of course I remember all of the "hottest male sports reporter" lists.  

• Moderators

It's all context so I'm not going to judge (too much).   But so many of these "terms of endearment" can be used in a condescending way.   You may call a woman sweetie or hon if she's a cashier or waitress but not if she's your doctor or accountant.  Why is that?  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

It's all context so I'm not going to judge (too much).   But so many of these "terms of endearment" can be used in a condescending way.   You may call a woman sweetie or hon if she's a cashier or waitress but not if she's your doctor or accountant.  Why is that?  

My guess would be because a doctor and accountant are 'professionals' so there is a perceived respect that comes with it.

• Moderators
16 hours ago, Dnice said:

Chick?

Image result

Whoops! I shoulda kept reading! Good job, Dnice!

Also, a plug for Bawb's summertime running buddy, LaChina Robinson, the Demon Deacon who is all over the place this time of year.

~lw3

• Moderators
Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

My guess would be because a doctor and accountant are 'professionals' so there is a perceived respect that comes with it.

Exactly my point.  Although context is certainly a part so I'm not saying that calling someone hon or sweetheart is always bad if you have confidence it's that type of conversation.   But i think we should consider whether it's really appropriate or not and not just complain that people are 'overly sensitive'

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Exactly my point.  Although context is certainly a part so I'm not saying that calling someone hon or sweetheart is always bad if you have confidence it's that type of conversation.   But i think we should consider whether it's really appropriate or not and not just complain that people are 'overly sensitive'

This

18 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

So in essence, baby the bitch a$$ world and new age people a little more huh? That’s sounds like a great plan sugar tits!

21 minutes ago, Eddielives said:

Yep.  You one of those that has a problem with it?

I have no problem with you being a male feminist or anyone speaking their mind or whatever.  However, for you to come at him for saying chick is completely wrong. Some women don't mind being called sweety, hon or chick.  I hate how everyone these days pretend to speak for an entire group of people.  Women have just as many personalities as men. You are essentially reducing all women to one type of personality  which is very offensive.  So I'm offended that you'd assume that all women would be offended by the term chick.  Guess what the world is full of different people and we should embrace all differences.  If he's not meaning chick in a condescending way, where do you get off speaking for all women, when you yourself as a man can not.  As I can not.  Plenty of women would have a problem with your hero complex thinking you need to speak up for them when in fact, they'll do just fine speaking up for themselves. 

Maybe you need to rethink your feminism.   

• Like 1