• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2018 Hawksquawk Dynasty Draft - Picks and Discussion

AHF

2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Jeremy Lin?

James Franco?

Long live Blue Chalk and the fun from 96-2006...shout out to bar fav and Stanford grad Jarron Collins...also Fred Savage. Spoke to both and both were awesome guys. Wonder years was ? ?!!!

4 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Me too on Poetl..he’s gonna be a different player with pop...like night and way later that night.

Poetl fit my soft goal of being under 25 and he was my pick for the last round. Casey tried to give him minutes and thought he did a decent job; Jonas just took to many minutes away. I think Pops will give him a shot at 25 or more a game this season. I really think he can be solid defender in the NBA. Maybe not DeAndre like; but the next tier below.

3 hours ago, lethalweapon3 said:

Paul+Millsap+Denver+Nuggets+v+Los+Angele

AVERAGE AGE OF TEAMS (Oldest to Youngest)

*based on estimated ages as of October 1, 2018, Source: Mark Porcaro Player Database (last updated 7/4/2018, w/ a handful of Birth Date errors corrected on my end)

capstone21 - 28.48 (Oldest Players: Paul Millsap, Mike Conley, DeAndre Jordan, Kevin Durant; Zach LaVine sole player under 26)

HopefulHawksFan - 28.31

TheNorthCydeRises - 27.70

LucastheThird - 26.81

turnermx - 26.51

AHF - 26.16

lethalweapon3 - 25.56

pimp - 25.45

Spud2Nique - 25.06

JayBirdHawk - 24.80

Marvin24Williams - 24.64 (incl. Jaren Jackson, Jr., youngest player Drafted, turns 19 next month; also Mitchell Robinson and De'Aaron Fox under 21)

Buzzard - 23.59 (Youngest Players: Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Dennis Smith, Brandon Ingram, OG Anunoby; Ricky Rubio sole player over 27)

AVERAGE LEAGUE EXPERIENCE (Longest to Shortest)

*based on Seasons of Service (min. 1 Game Played in any season), via Mark Porcaro Player Database

capstone21 - 7.77 seasons (four players w/ 10+ seasons, incl. Paul Millsap's 12)

HopefulHawksFan - 7.23 (four players w/ 10+ seasons, incl. Kyle Korver's 15)

TheNorthCydeRises - 6.15 (incl. LeBron James' 15 seasons, Dwight Howard's 14, and Lou Williams' 13)

LucastheThird - 6.08 (four players w/ 10+ seasons, incl. Andre Iguodala's 14)

pimp - 5.38

turnermx - 5.15 (incl. 2 of Atlanta's league-high 3 Rookie Draftees)

AHF - 4.92

Spud2nique - 4.54 (four players w/ 1 season, plus two rookies, incl. Atlanta's Trae Young)

lethalweapon3 - 4.23

Marvin24Williams - 4.00

JayBirdHawk - 3.85 (incl. Manu Ginobili's 16 seasons, most among Draftees)

Buzzard - 3.08 (incl. only one Rookie, Gilgeous-Alexander)

~lw3

It does not surprise me that I am the youngest team. My whole goal was young but experienced. I stayed away from rookies and the over 25 vets on purpose. Rubio and Shai were both necessities as I watched all the young PG's with experience go so early. I have good size with Turner, KAT, and Cauley-Stein, I am just not very deep with good size. My two tweeners in Porter and OG will probably be needed just as much at the 4 as the 3,

This was a fun draft and I enjoyed it a lot!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

Poetl fit my soft goal of being under 25 and he was my pick for the last round. Casey tried to give him minutes and thought he did a decent job; Jonas just took to many minutes away. I think Pops will give him a shot at 25 or more a game this season. I really think he can be solid defender in the NBA. Maybe not DeAndre like; but the next tier below.

Like Timmy when he got here from NY. Bud made him a fundamentally worthy player +/- wise like Pop will do to Poetl. He had Timmy and DRob I think he knows a thing or two about the big man secrets. I see MIP being attached to Poetl this year.

• Moderators

Goal for my squad was to win now with elite vets and quality role players and try to strike big on some talented young players to extent that window of contention.  So the starting line-up is all stars in the prime of their careers, most around 28 years old while the bench reserves are either starters with an elite area of expertise who will make good role players or guys who if they hit their ceiling could be All-NBA talents:

PG: 

Kyle Lowry (32) -  2015-18 All-Star, All-NBA - very strong 2018 indicates he is still at or near his peak.  Tough on D and strong offensively.  Elite advanced stats among PGs last year and previous 3 years.

Goran Dragic (32) - 2018 All-Star - at his peak and ready to win now.  

Markelle Fultz (20) - 2017 #1 overall pick - Crazy age 19 season - will need to recover his shot but youngest triple double in NBA history and 14 points, 8 rebounds, 6 assists per 36 last season points to solid floor and ceiling.  Can play point and SG.

SG: 

James Harden (28) - MVP, 5x All-NBA, 4x 1st Team All-NBA, 6x All-Star - Young, prime, MVP, playmaker, super elite scoring efficiency and volume

Fultz - See above

Bogdan Bogdanovic (25) - All-Rookie. Great rookie season with very strong advanced numbers and perimeter stretching range.  Should be a good role player for us for many years to come.

SF:

DeMar Derozan (28) - 2x All-NBA, 4x All-Star - Young, prime, 2nd team All-NBA last season.  Scores, defends and moves the ball.

Andrew Wiggins  (23) - ROY, has averaged 20, 4, 2 the last 3 seasons at ages 20-22.  Needs to get more efficient scoring and buckle down on D if he wants to be a stud.  Has the tools but not sure he has the toughness or BBIQ.  Productive - needs efficiency.

Andre Roberson (25) - All-NBA defender who can play both SG and SF equally well.  Elite defender and role player for this squad.  

PF:

Draymond Green (28) - 2017 DPOY, 2x All-NBA, 3x All-Star, 4x All-NBA Defense - Does everything elite except score which he does ok.  That is fine on a team whose offense will be led by our guards and wings.  Can play C as well as PF.

Dario Saric (24) - All-Rookie.  At age 23, shot >39% from 3 along with 15 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists per game.  Lots of upside and can be an elite perimeter scoring big.

Harry Giles (20) - Injured and now healthy.  Pure upside play with high injury risk and high ceiling.

C:     

Rudy Gobert (26) - 2018 DPOY, All-NBA, 2x All-NBA Defense.  Best big man defender in the league and huge impact on team +/-.  

Deandre Ayton (20) - 2018 #1 overall pick.  Will probably average something like 18 and 9 his rookie season.  Whether he develops as a defender and how efficiently he scores will determine his peak.  Star potential.

Coach:

Rick Carlisle - COY.  Elite Xs and Os coach who is not married to any particular system but builds his team's strategy for that season around the strengths and weaknesses of his players.  Will be able to shift this team's identity for the next decade depending on the strongest core of players on the roster at any particular time.

Summary: 

We've got guys who have led the league in:

• Scoring
  • Scoring efficiency (TS%)
  • Assists
  • Blocks and
  • Steals

We've got:

• the 2018 MVP winner
  • the 2017 and 2018 DPOYs 
  • All 5 starters who have been All-NBA 
  • 6 guys who were 2018 All-NBA or 2018 All-Stars
  • 3 All-NBA defenders who can play SG, SF, PF and C
  • 3 #1 picks on our bench
  • 3 All-Rookie selections on the bench along with 3 young players who will be playing their first full NBA season

In short, we think we can contend now and could still be contending with this score in 8 years if one or two of our youngsters hits big (and with 4 youngsters who were drafted #1 overall or were the #1 HS in their class we've got that potential).

• Like 2

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Fultz might be the front runner for this. Nice squad @AHF but lookout for my hack a DeAndre towards the end of games. ? 

I'd expect Green and Gobert to close most games but Ayton shot over 73% from the line last season (and a better % last year than King James) so he hardly seems like a big "hack" candidate.

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'd expect Green and Gobert to close most games but Ayton shot over 73% from the line last season (and a better % last year than King James) so he hardly seems like a big "hack" candidate.

My mistake I read Deandre Jordan. Ayton has a stroke yes.

• Like 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

My mistake I read Deandre Jordan. Ayton has a stroke yes.

That is fair game with Jordan.  He was a good pick but someone who will be benched down the stretch in today's NBA.  The "hack-a" defense should actually be more effective in our league since the overall offensive talent of the roster of the roster should be significantly higher so that where "hack-a-Jordan" represents better odds of lower points against a normal NBA roster the same results from hacking Jordan will look even better compared to what these teams can do.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AHF said:

That is fair game with Jordan.  He was a good pick but someone who will be benched down the stretch in today's NBA.  The "hack-a" defense should actually be more effective in our league since the overall offensive talent of the roster of the roster should be significantly higher so that where "hack-a-Jordan" represents better odds of lower points against a normal NBA roster the same results from hacking Jordan will look even better compared to what these teams can do.

Agreed with all the ☔️ of the 3’s. Offense is at its highest. Wouldn’t be surprised to see teams scoring 150 points a night...not every night but maybe a handful of times.

• Moderators

1407874623000-AP10010909562.jpg?width=53

One school and one conference remains the reigning champ among Squawk Dynasty League draftees... even without much help from their two biggest fans! One Western conference made a strong charge for the top spot!

DYNASTY DRAFTEES BY COLLEGE AFFILIATION*

(* based on most recent college at time of NBA Drafting; must have played at least a game for the school; conference affiliations as of 2018-19 NCAA season)

Southeastern Conference – 27

Kentucky – 16 (none Drafted by AHF)

Pac-12 Conference – 25

UCLA – 7

Arizona – 5

USC – 3

Washington – 3

Atlantic Coast Conference – 23

Duke – 7

Wake Forest – 4

Big 12 Conference – 15

Texas – 6

Kansas – 4

Oklahoma – 3

Big East Conference – 11

Villanova – 4

Big Ten Conference – 10

Indiana – 3

Michigan State – 3

American Athletic Conference – 5

Connecticut – 3

Mountain West Conference - 4

Conference USA – 3

West Coast Conference – 2

Atlantic 10 Conference – 1 (Curry)

Big Sky Conference – 1 (Lillard)

Ivy League – 1 (Lin)

Ohio Valley Conference – 1 (Covington)

Patriot League – 1 (“I’m Trying, Jennifer!”)

Sun Belt – 1 (Payton)

Major-Conference Notables:

SEC (11 of 12 Dynasty Teams with at least one Draftee, AHF the exception; Only AHF and HopefulHawksFan did not draft a UK Wildcat; LucastheThird w/ 5 Draftees; Buzzard w/ 3 hyphenated UK players, JayBirdHawk w/ 3)

Pac-12 (11 of 12 Dynasty Teams with at least one Draftee, Buzzard the exception; AHF w/ 5 Draftees)

ACC (11 of 12 Dynasty Teams with at least one Draftee, Marvin24Williams no relation to UNC the exception; Spud2nique w/ 5 Draftees)

Big 12 (10 of 12 Dynasty Teams with at least one Draftee, pimp and TheNorthCydeRises the exceptions)

~lw3

• Like 1

• Admin
8 hours ago, AHF said:

It’s alright, when the Hack is instituted I will counter with Sap, Jonus or Favours at the 5 ....depending on the scenario 

19 hours ago, lethalweapon3 said:

DYNASTY DRAFTEES BY COLLEGE AFFILIATION*

(* based on most recent college at time of NBA Drafting; must have played at least a game for the school; conference affiliations as of 2018-19 NCAA season)

Southeastern Conference – 27

Kentucky – 16 (none Drafted by AHF)

Stat of the draft so far.   

SMH @ AHF.

• Moderators

Gotta go where the value takes you in a draft.  UK players get the tie breaker for me but there were no ties for me when I was drafting at any spot.  I'm not going to "homer" my team by taking somebody who isn't good enough to even be on an NBA roster or who happens to wear a UK or Atlanta uniform just because I root for the guy.

• Like 1