• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Does Alex Len have any upside?

Wurider05

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Of all the centers, I am hoping Bruno is ready sooner than later. Bruno has a lot to learn but defensively, he is the best of the three and offensively, he has more potential than Jones but a better potential fit with Collins and Trae than Len. 

Len should at least be a rolling threat and that should at least free keep defenses honest when attacking the paint. Last year, while Dedmon was tremendous for spacing, he didn't help us when teams ran us off the line. 

I’m probably Bruno’s biggest fan here. But although a very hard worker and very quick learner, hasn’t been playing ball all that long and has a ways to go. Gonna be an adjustment period. But the dude is a grown a$$ man, 7’4 wingspan on 6’10 250 frame who can leap out the gym, whaaaaa??? Averaged almost 11 rebounds and 2 blocks at Maryland, can be the long term rim protector Hawks need beside J-Bap. Oh yeah: 78% FT shooter. “Bruno, this is Coach Jent.”

Edited by hazer
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

😏 we lose count. We watch birds 🦅. We just hike along the coast and do what we can for the summer and get away 🚶 from ze gerhind. 😊 

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a936f768d567dc41388

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Len should at least be a rolling threat and that should at least free keep defenses honest when attacking the paint. Last year, while Dedmon was tremendous for spacing, he didn't help us when teams ran us off the line. 

Combine that with Len’s 36+% from 3 and that opens up the lane for Trae-to-Collins PnR game. Spacing, keeping the D honest, I think he fits Collins’ game just fine in that aspect.

But when Bruno figures out the defensive scheme, adjusts to the speed of the NBA, and Jent gets his 3-ball up to 35%, FerNANdoooo will be the ultimate fit beside J-Bap.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

If I don’t do these kind of trips once every 4 or 5 years I lose it lol.

Oh I hear ya S2N, it’s yearly for The Hazers over here, or else 💥 

Edited by hazer
  • Like 1

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Ahhhh yearly is so refreshing. I say that every year I do it then get busy and life takes over. 🤦‍♀️ 

The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest is a cruel and demanding mistress.  I like your chances to take down Joey Chestnut this year, though!  

rs_1024x759-170704115059-1024.2.Joey-Che

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, hazer said:

Combine that with Len’s 36+% from 3 and that opens up the lane for Trae-to-Collins PnR game. Spacing, keeping the D honest, I think he fits Collins’ game just fine in that aspect.

But when Bruno figures out the defensive scheme, adjusts to the speed of the NBA, and Jent gets his 3-ball up to 35%, FerNANdoooo will be the ultimate fit beside J-Bap.

Len threes for the most part are corner threes which doesn't help Trae in PnR as he likes center of the court actions. That said, as a rolling option, he should be a better threat. I'll miss Dedmon and his versatility on top of the key actions. The double screen play was one of our best plays last year if not our best play. Teams struggled guarding it

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, AHF said:

The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest is a cruel and demanding mistress.  I like your chances to take down Joey Chestnut this year, though!  

rs_1024x759-170704115059-1024.2.Joey-Che

Funny I actually met Chestnut 🌰 at Safeway in the Bay Area a few years ago and took a pic with him in the grocery store. His gf was with him as well and she’s also an eating competitor. Neslie Ricasa took our pic. Others at the grocery store didn’t know who he was so thought it was strange lol. 

He also went to SJSU my alma.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Len threes for the most part are corner threes which doesn't help Trae in PnR as he likes center of the court actions...

Used to be the case, not so much anymore. Career night against Lopez on 4/7/2019, made 6 3’s, zero of which were from the corner 💫

Edited by hazer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, hazer said:

Used to be the case, not so much anymore. Career night against Lopez on 4/7/2019, made 6 3’s, zero of which were from the corner 💫

In this game, yes but the data says and my eyes said otherwise. That's not to say he can't improve and use this game as the answer which would help us tremendously 

12 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

In this game, yes but the data says and my eyes said otherwise. That's not to say he can't improve and use this game as the answer which would help us tremendously 

Another huge game for Len late in the season (3/3/2019), career high at that point, against another Lopez. 5 3’s, only ONE of which was a corner 3 and it was actually more of a “side” 3 than a corner. As I’ve said, Len mostly connecting on corner 3s USED to be the case. It’s just not so anymore though:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Just now, hazer said:

Another huge game for Len late in the season (3/3/2019), career high at that point, against another Lopez. 5 3’s, only ONE of which was a corner 3 and it was actually more of a “side” 3 than a corner. As I’ve said, Len mostly connecting on corner 3s USED to be the case. It’s just not so anymore though:

Len trending upward with TWO career nights in both March and April to end the 2019 season, connecting on 11 3’s, only ONE of which was even in the vicinity of the corner. Although actually not in it. My and your eyes are seeing something entirely different Supes 🧐😬

• Like 2

Why does everyone wish to sell the 2019-20 Hawks short?  Why does so many think that we are very, very weak at center?

Alex Len is no dud.  Damian Jones will surprise some of you.  Bruno Fernando is not a helpless, bound for the G league, center.

EXPN thinks we are a 30.4 win team.  As MLK said, "We shall overcome."  He wasn't talking about the Atlanta Hawks but it surely applies.

:smug:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Why does everyone wish to sell the 2019-20 Hawks short?  Why does so many think that we are very, very weak at center?

Alex Len is no dud.  Damian Jones will surprise some of you.  Bruno Fernando is not a helpless, bound for the G league, center.

EXPN thinks we are a 30.4 win team.  As MLK said, "We shall overcome."  He wasn't talking about the Atlanta Hawks but it surely applies.

:smug:

26 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Agreed! 😃 

Self-loathing Hawks Fans: “Weeeell, YEAH he was the starting C for back-to-back defending NBA Champs until he got injured. BUUUUT uhhhhh he’s not worthy of being our backup 🤔

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a31cb3598030ef1ff9f

• Haha 1

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, hazer said:

Self-loathing Hawks Fans: “Weeeell, YEAH he was the starting C for back-to-back defending NBA Champs until he got injured. BUUUUT uhhhhh he’s not worthy of being our backup 🤔

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a31cb3598030ef1ff9f

That may be one of the biggest stretches I've ever seen!  

He was a fill-in for Cousins last season when Cousins was injured and even then he averaged 17 minutes per game.  He has played less than 600 career minutes in 3 years.   (His predecessor was mid-30's Zaza who actually was the intended starter when he started but was also a very bit role player who was almost completely inconsequential to the team's success.)

He has been healthy enough to play in the playoffs every year of his career and has a total of 40 minutes of playoff time - barely 1% of the center minutes.  

He has been a bench warmer for his career and is replacing Dedmon.  Of course people view that as a downgrade!

I hope that Spud is right that he will earn the starting job and become a stud but my more modest hope for him is that he will be an effective role player who plays a very limited job rolling to the basket for Trae on offense and being a big body to block a few shots on defense.  Trae certainly has the passing ability to optimize his performance.

1 hour ago, AHF said:

That may be one of the biggest stretches I've ever seen!  

He was a fill-in for Cousins last season when Cousins was injured and even then he averaged 17 minutes per game.  He has played less than 600 career minutes in 3 years.

He has been healthy enough to play in the playoffs every year of his career and has a total of 40 minutes of playoff time - barely 1% of the center minutes.  

He has been a bench warmer for his career and is replacing Dedmon.  Of course people view that as a downgrade!

Ohhhhh @AHF, “one of the biggest stretches you’ve ever seen!”??? HA, lots of stretching always going on up in here, reminds me of the starting line of The Ron Richardson Corporate Olympics. “220, 221, whatever it takes.” 😜

Hawks essentially had a double-starter Dedmon/Len platoon at C last year, Dedmon logging 25mins and Len 20. So, actually, DJ isn’t replacing Dedmon. And if he can START for the 2-time defending champs (who went 15-9 during his starting stint) in place of Boogy, he can certainly back up Len on a team who may not even sneak into 8th playoff slot. He’s still going to be coming off the bench, I think you may be confusing me with others claiming DJ will wrangle the starting reins from Len. I’m not of that opinion. In fact, I’m of the opinion that FerNANdoooo will be wrangling the backup spot from DJ. DJ being a perfectly adequate 2nd/3rd stringer for the Hawks after going 15-9 as the fill-in starter for defending champs 👍🏽

Edited by hazer
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, hazer said:

And if he can START for the 2-time defending champs (who went 15-9 during his starting stint) in place of Boogy, he can certainly back up Len on a team who may not even sneak into 8th playoff slot.

Yep...He was so important to them, They traded him for a sack of potatoes and then went out and signed WCS and Looney for more money. Wonder why?:scratch:

• Haha 1

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, hazer said:

Ohhhhh @AHF, “one of the biggest stretches you’ve ever seen!”??? HA, lots of stretching always going on up in here, reminds me of the starting line of The Ron Richardson Corporate Olympics. “220, 221, whatever it takes.” 😜

Hawks essentially had a double-starter Dedmon/Len platoon at C last year, Dedmon logging 25mins and Len 20. So, actually, DJ isn’t replacing Dedmon. And if he can START for the 2-time defending champs (who went 15-9 during his starting stint) in place of Boogy, he can certainly back up Len on a team who may not even sneak into 8th playoff slot. He’s still going to be coming off the bench, I think you may be confusing me with others claiming DJ will wrangle the starting reins from Len. I’m not of that opinion. In fact, I’m of the opinion that FerNANdoooo will be wrangling the backup spot from DJ. DJ being a perfectly adequate 2nd/3rd stringer for the Hawks after going 15-9 as the fill-in starter for defending champs 👍🏽

You act like starting for GS is some mark of commendation for him.  That is the big stretch - promoting him as "the starting center for the back-to-back NBA champs!"  As if he had anything to do with those rings.  Jeremy Lin played over 3x as many minutes in the playoffs as Jones and Lin's starter teammate didn't get hurt and miss games and Lin was still washed and irrelevant. 

Jones starting for them was like Mario West starting for the Hawks only they could carry him to victories.  The plan when he started was to have better players step in early and often for him.  The numbers say he was below league average in his career best season last year.

The most remarkable thing about him is that he is the youngest guy NBA player I've ever heard of who has torn his pecs twice.

This doesn't make him worthless but to promote him like he was any kind of factor in them winning rings when he played a grand total of 8 minutes in the playoffs last season and barely did more in prior seasons is just silly.  He was a bit role player that they were happy to unload this offseason after Kevin Looney stepped in for him and outperformed him last season.  

Does that mean he can't fill a role for us?  Nope.  I do have some hope that he has skills that Trae can highlight and that he has the frame and athleticism to play a positive role for us on defense.  But let's not be ridiculous with what he has accomplished and who he has been.  If he plays a meaningful role for us, it will be his first meaningful role in the NBA.

And DJ is replacing Dedmon.  We went from starting last season with a center rotation of Len & Dedmon to starting this season with a rotation of Len & Jones.  Anyone can see what part of that equation changed.

I do hope you are right about Fernando stepping up.  That will be a good sign if he seizes a big role regardless of how Jones performs (actually probably an even better sign if Jones plays well and Fernando still takes the job).  Bruno is pretty raw but is an exciting talent with a lot of upside if things come together for him.