• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Preseason Game #2: Hawks vs Grizzlies 10/05/18

JayBirdHawk

37 minutes ago, deester11 said:

I may be alone in this but I hate the Young/Dorsey pairing with a passion.  I'm ok with Dorsey, but it's head down dribbling or ball killing with him.  Ewwww to that.  

If we trade Dorsey or Bembry at any point, I won’t lose sleep ?.

1 hour ago, hazer said:

Exactly. But what do I know according to our resident Dr. God Complex? ?

He won’t come back to say he was wrong, he will make more excuses as to why he said what he said. ?‍♂️ 

I try to avoid debate with these because you will never win even when the world ? saw that you did.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deester11 said:

I may be alone in this but I hate the Young/Dorsey pairing with a passion.  I'm ok with Dorsey, but it's head down dribbling or ball killing with him.  Ewwww to that.  

At least he can put the ball in the basket. Sometimes you need a guy that can do that.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Dorsey is a work in progress in the passing department, but I love his shooting, defense and especially  his rebounding as a SG.

Right!..Hawks fans tend to pick out a player to hate and no matter how much progress he makes in certain areas, certain fan continue to point out their flaws.  Dorsey is entering his 2nd year and it is obvious to anyone paying attention that he can shoot.  He also can rebound his position but some fan continue to complain about his lack of play making?  Good grief! 

16 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Right!..Hawks fans tend to pick out a player to hate and no matter how much progress he makes in certain areas, certain fan continue to point out their flaws.  Dorsey is entering his 2nd year and it is obvious to anyone paying attention that he can shoot.  He also can rebound his position but some fan continue to complain about his lack of play making?  Good grief! 

So you can't call out the things that he can't do? Right....that's so worn out already 

• Premium Member
18 hours ago, deester11 said:

So you can't call out the things that he can't do? Right....that's so worn out already 

You can do that with every player in the league and certainly every player on the hawks team but there are only a select few who are picked on.  Many of the Hawks squawk favorites are severely flawed but they are spared.  Let's start with Paul Millsap and Kyle Korver.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deester11 said:

Youre not alone....

My Takes From This Game: Our rookies played like rookies although showing glimpses of what they are capable of becoming. Omari looked the best out of the 3 but that's the advantage of hustle (heart, effort and skill set). Even the basketball gods were looking out for him on a couple plays.

It was bad Baze and bad Bembry tonight although I'll take a bad Bembry over bad Baze any day. Baze reminded me of why I wanted to see him traded. He gets into his "I gotta be a star" mode instead of playing team ball and ends up playing straight out embarrassing ball. Atleast Bembry is still productive in other areas and doesn't make goofy turnovers on a regular. Anderson was on the bench licking his chops when he saw Baze out there embarrassing himself and our team. We need to just get it over with it and get rid of Baze asap so some of his bad habits don't transfer over to any of our young players. With Dorsey, Bembry, Carter, Huerter and Anderson, Baze is pretty much already replaced so if we just get a pick we came up and we'll have free'd up a roster spot and got another pick to leverage.

All and all the game overall was progressive in my opinion. All three of our rookies got some time on the court to develop. We played bad overall but still got to 110. If Prince and Dedmon were able to start (atleast) Prince we wouldn't have had as many scoring droughts as we had and our defense could have been alot better as well. Most teams aren't going to be able to keep up with our offense if 110 is our bad night offense and once we pick up the defense of course the offense will get even better. Great sign for a young developing team and once we become an offensive juggernaut (build chemistry/experience) we'll be hard to keep up with in this league.

Prince is a key factor on how far our team goes as well as Dedmon/Len, Collins and Trae. Dorsey and Spellman are sneaky X Factors because Dorsey can shoot us back in a couple games and Spellman can hustle/big play(s) us into some wins. Dorsey and Bembry might be the not so sneaky X Factors in a few as well as Vince and Anderson.

Huerter will be a good player but like many have said he's going to need some G-League experience before hand.

Overall excited about what I see so far (except for Baze) :Baze: . Waaaaayyy to inconsistent for a vet. Especially one that some consider to be our "best" player.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Our rookies were a combined 3 for 13 from 3. Why do guys get to the NBA and suddenly forget how to shoot?

They don't forget. There is an adjusment.

1. The NBA 3 point distance is longer.

2. In college most these guys are better than their counter parts, in the NBA they're facing tougher competition plus game speed.

3. Defenders are quicker, bigger stronger - 

• Moderators

I'm hoping Dorsey makes that adjustment this year.  His 37% shooting last year won't cut it.  He is scrappy and good enough on the boards to carve out a regular spot in the rotation if he can shoot the rock efficiently.

5 hours ago, deester11 said:

Dorsey tries to out do Young whenever they're on the floor together.  This happened even in summer league.

Dorsey's line vs. Memphis: 18 pts, 6 rebounds and 3 assists.  Better than the "Golen Child."  All the critics raved that his 11 pts, 6 rebounds, and 3 assists on how great that was!  He should be leaped and bounds better than our players because he played professional ball for years. BTW, not a Luka hater, sure he will have a good career, but I do not see the second coming of Bird.  Bird averaged 30 pts a game and 13 rebounds a game at Indiana State.  That's special.  Look up the great one's Euro stats. He was clutch, but not very productive.  Let's show our player some appreciation.  Ok  off my soapbox.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, Jeffery123 said:

Dorsey's line vs. Memphis: 18 pts, 6 rebounds and 3 assists.  Better than the "Golen Child."  All the critics raved that his 11 pts, 6 rebounds, and 3 assists on how great that was!  He should be leaped and bounds better than our players because he played professional ball for years. BTW, not a Luka hater, sure he will have a good career, but I do not see the second coming of Bird.  Bird averaged 30 pts a game and 13 rebounds a game at Indiana State.  That's special.  Look up the great one's Euro stats. He was clutch, but not very productive.  Let's show our player some appreciation.  Ok  off my soapbox.

Well said!!!  I was going to bring up the great one's game where he was 0-4 from 3, 3-6 from the FT line with 4 turnovers against NBA players since they played up his 1st game stats against euro players. Definitely want to throw it in Jeff Seigel's face since he is a notorious Dorsey hater and a Luka worshiper like some on this message board.  Oh well...Off my soapbox also.

2 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Well said!!!  I was going to bring up the great one's game where he was 0-4 from 3, 3-6 from the FT line with 4 turnovers against NBA players since they played up his 1st game stats against euro players. Definitely want to throw it in Jeff Seigel's face since he is a notorious Dorsey hater and a Luka worshiper like some on this message board.  Oh well...Off my soapbox also.

There is nothing wrong with being unsatisfied with aspects of someone's game.  Could care less about Luka. He's on the mavericks....and not a Hawk.  I don't hate Dorsey, but the pairing with Young is not ideal from a defense perspective and from a kill the offense perspective.  As much as people pan Youngs shot selection, it makes perfect sense to question Dorseys propensity to jack up shots too.  Even in summer league "it seemed" that he wanted to one up Trae.  In any case, Dorsey is not the focal point of the offense.  If he can better "pass" the ball, set up his shot, he'll improve his shot and the teams shot selection.  Same with Trae.

7 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Why don't you wait a year or two instead of making evaluations after every game.