2018-19 Atlanta Hawks Autopsy (premature escalations)

thecampster

So going through the game thread for Wednesday night, I was struck by the number of over the top "OMG this team sucks" and "Bud > Pierce" themes.  Its one game folks, just one game.

Its just one game in a hostile environment.

Its just one game, a home opener where referees routinely favor the home team (see 30-23 fouls called).

Its just one game where there was a 24-15 turnover differential.

Its just one game where your starting power forward and last year's starting center were out.

Its just one game where 3 different Hawks under the age of 21 made their NBA debut.

It was just one game.

Can we at least hold off on the autopsy for 5-10 games, until the body is at least cold?

• Like 4

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, thecampster said:

So going through the game thread for Wednesday night, I was struck by the number of over the top "OMG this team sucks" and "Bud > Pierce" themes.  Its one game folks, just one game.

Its just one game in a hostile environment.

Its just one game, a home opener where referees routinely favor the home team (see 30-23 fouls called).

Its just one game where there was a 24-15 turnover differential.

Its just one game where your starting power forward and last year's starting center were out.

Its just one game where 3 different Hawks under the age of 21 made their NBA debut.

It was just one game.

Can we at least hold off on the autopsy for 5-10 games, until the body is at least cold?

Yes.  Exactly.  Take the starting frontcourt off any team and see how they do.   We know we aren't going to win a lot of games but we will look a lot better when healthy and with a little experience.   Honestly, if I'm NY I'm more concerned that they didn't more easily put a short handed, very inexperienced team away completely in the second half of their home opener.   

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, KB21 said:

New York was just as short handed as the Hawks, if not more.  The player they don't have is a legitimate all star player.  

Well that's definitely true.  But it's not a great roster outside of Kristaps.  Although I think Knox is going to be really good.   Still the OP point is valid.   One game, another team's home opener, and we're missing 2 starters and have a starting lineup featuring a 20 year old rookie and a 41 year old PF.  

To be fair, we are a pretty bad team overall. 

I think the 2nd quarter collapse took the air out of this young teams’ sails. They tried to fight back but just could muster up enough to come back damn near 30 points. 

If Baze and Prince continue to play like they played last game, we aren’t going to win 20 games PERIOD. Those dudes look very bad on both sides of the ball (except Princes perimeter shooting). I don’t expect them to be all stars, but if they continue to play like that then they gotta go. No excuse for either one to perform that bad defensively.

No matter how you feel, you can't treat this like it's a football season and make one game, total snap judgments. It's stupid in basketball and even stupider in baseball.

The only real judgment I'll make is Taurean bringing up the ball and trying to playmake was silly.

It's probably best to wait 20 games before making a snap judgment and I will say this, and it's semi related but not really. I'm going to laugh my a** off if the Grizzlies, fully healthy, still have a poor record 20 games in.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Anyone wanting to discuss whether you can develop talent during a season where ownership intends to lose most of the games (i.e., tank) can take that up in the tanking thread.

On the topic of the thread, any conclusions people are trying to draw from a single game are meaningless.  People have their views coming into the season and there is not any statistically significant evidence at this point to add to that backdrop.  One game is not a meaningful amount of data.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Wurider05 said:

I came to this post looking for help with my problems in the bedroom not to discuss the Hawks!!!! I must have misread the title!!! :ahf:

I'm concerned now... what does an autopsy have anything to do with your problems in the bedroom?

On second thought, don't tell me... I don't want to know.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KB21 said:

Not when the demise of this team has already been cast even before the season started.  This team was designed to suck.

Wrong thread ✋?

• Like 1

and we revive this thread once more.  

Yesterday's performance shows why the premature obituaries were short sighted and in bad taste.  

HOWEVER!!!!

Let's slow down on the parade plans as well. This is still a very young team.  This is still the NBA.  Right now, film assembly of the game by Trae is going on and future opponents will now scout positions on the floor, tendencies, etc.  

Enjoy the moment. A win in Dallas puts us at 500 for the year but it is a very long season ahead and this pace would be nearly impossible to maintain for 82 games.  Guys will need rest if constantly running like this, the defense must be improved.

Injuries to either point guard would spell disaster. An injury to Prince would leave Trae in double team hell.  Dedmon Collins and Anderson have yet to see the floor.  We need at least 10 games to get a feeling for what the team will truly be.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, thecampster said:

We need at least 10 games to get a feeling for what the team will truly be.

At least 20. Enough time for Lin to get his legs back, Len’s back to be 100%, and Collins/Dedmon to shake the rust off.

2 hours ago, hazer said:

At least 20. Enough time for Lin to get his legs back, Len’s back to be 100%, and Collins/Dedmon to shake the rust off.

No I think about 20.

2 hours ago, hazer said:

At least 20

Oh shoot...what the

My bad