• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Help me understand how this new coach's calling card was DEFENSE

sturt

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Something else I noticed last night.  Our opponents center shot and hit a lot of hook shots.  No one shoots them any more.  Yet, there he was, drilling shot after shot.  Hawks had no idea what to do.  With this new defense the NBA has given us, it may take quiet a while for anyone to figure this out.  Meanwhile, the wins will pile up for this team.  Dang, he was good at that hook shot.  Any one else do that now?

The sky hook is a lost art. Good to see a few players doing it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Oh good gosh!

The team is not freaking capable of playing good defense at all.  They can teach and scheme till they are blue in the fact, it won't matter.  This team is not capable of being even an average defensive team, and that will be the case when John Collins gets back.  

This isn't about having guys give effort on the defensive end.  It has everything to do with the lack of experience this team has.  

face, not fact.

Question:  Just how do you "know" that this Hawk team is not capable of learning to play defense?  If you are capable of knowing this, you should have a high paying job with some NBA team, choosing their draft picks and trades.  Yep, some NBA team is looking for someone like you for their GM.

I have also learned that you have the power to look far into the future and know what will happen.  Example:  You have told all of us that this Hawk team will be no good for years and years.  It takes some magic insight to be able to do all this.

You may be exactly correct on all this.  But, how can you know?  How can you be so sure?  How can you know what all Hawk players are capable of learning?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, KB21 said:

LOL at those of you who want to hang on my over/under setting of 12 for the Hawks first win when the team has played the easiest schedule in the NBA to this point and is by far the worst team based on SRS.  The team has routinely been completely noncompetitive on the floor.  Cling to it, because you guys need to find something I'm wrong about to cling to as I am certainly not wrong about what this team is at this point.

LOL you knew the schedule when you made that prediction LOL

We’re all aware of what this team is at this point, Einstein ??

• Like 2

1 hour ago, benhillboy said:

Pierce has trotted out 122 different  lineups, next worst is LA with 93.  Is that bad?

Not really. Finding right combos and youth and injuries. Plus underwhelming veteran play will lead to this. When Anderson gets back I think we see him sort of settle on around 9 or ten guys. But he also has to play to the future and jplay the young guys who anybody with half a brain should know will have struggles and success but be wildly inconsistent. That said bring on reddish. 

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Royjr9 said:

Not really. Finding right combos and youth and injuries. Plus underwhelming veteran play will lead to this. When Anderson gets back I think we see him sort of settle on around 9 or ten guys. But he also has to play to the future and jplay the young guys who anybody with half a brain should know will have struggles and success but be wildly inconsistent. That said bring on reddish. 

Having your starting PF our year to date and starting C out for most of the year combined with a lack of depth means lots of lineup churning.

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Royjr9 said:

That too but he’s still searching and seeing what everybody role should be.  

Don’t disagree.  Just saying that having Collins in for 32 mpg and Dedmon in for 28 or whatever every game would make that type of searching much less extreme.

• Like 1

Help me understand how some think Trae isn’t our worst defender?  Y’all seen some screens he’s busted through or charges he’s drawn?  Can you ever expect him to grab 7 boards or 4 steals?  He sags off his man so far, applying no pressure to passing lanes so weak side sets and off ball cuts are even more damaging.  I can count on one hand the number of shots he’s truly challenged to a miss.  He adds nothing.  

He’s been matched up with mostly replacement level and below PGs but good ones like Fox (+34 goddamn) and Conley (+26) will always find a way to feast on shawty:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NBA_Math/status/1058353030591062016/photo/1

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mrhonline said:

I'm mostly concerned with the lack of effort on defense from Trae.  He did attempt a steal last night at least. 

I'd be in favor of Pierce sitting Young on occasion when his effort is poor.

Are we watching the same game? I think the effort is there, he's just outmatched by literally everyone because of his size.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Help me understand how some think Trae isn’t our worst defender?  Y’all seen some screens he’s busted through or charges he’s drawn?  Can you ever expect him to grab 7 boards or 4 steals?  He sags off his man so far, applying no pressure to passing lanes so weak side sets and off ball cuts are even more damaging.  I can count on one hand the number of shots he’s truly challenged to a miss.  He adds nothing.  

He’s been matched up with mostly replacement level and below PGs but good ones like Fox (+34 goddamn) and Conley (+26) will always find a way to feast on shawty:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NBA_Math/status/1058353030591062016/photo/1

He doesn't give us much on defense but to be fair Fox feasted more on Lin and Baze. 

• Admin

It feels like the worst / laziest defender is Prince and that is really disappointing ... he was a decent defender his rookie year but it has been getting worse every year ... he gives little effort and saves it all for the offensive end.  It’s a shame as he has the ability to be a top notch defender.  He should start watching Baz and Bembry’s effort on both ends.  

• Like 1