• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks sign F Jabari Parker

Spud2nique

5 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

Actually, I think the thought process is:

Len (now) = Dedmon

Bruno (future) > Len.    You're kidding, right?

Jones > Plumlee.  Since when?  Jones and Bruno are pathetic on the boards.

Parker > Spellman.   Yep.

Crabbe > Baze.  What????  

Turner = Lin.  Debatable.

Hunter (future) > Prince. Could be. We'll see.

The more I think about it the more I like the signing. He's a legit 6MOTY candidate. We're just going to have some rough defensive lineups. Gonna have to outscore people. 

Weird about the VC thing. We'll see. There aren't many minutes available to him here, but maybe he found that to be true everywhere. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Kinda wondering if he just didn't realize that Vince is a FA and not actually on the team. 

Im thinking the same thing.  Although the reporter states that it not known if Vince is returning or not , when he asked the question. 8:24. And ...Forget stealing Vince’s shoes, you’re stealing his roster spot! 😞

• Like 2

Cam and Jabari off the bench gives us a potentially good scoring combo off the bench. Cam did well in PnR situations last year and Parker could feast off face up opportunities in PnP.

This was a really good signing and gives Parker a chance to rebuild his value. Schlenk addressed a need at backup PF/bench scoring AND added a potential asset. He also did it without overpaying and signing a long contract which make Parker trade-able if the right deal is there..

Edited by EazyRoc
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

Cam and Jabari off the bench gives us a potentially good scoring combo off the bench. Cam did well in PnR situations last year and Parker could feast off face up opportunities in PnP.

This was a really good signing and gives Parker a chance to rebuild his value. Schlenk addressed a need at backup PF/bench scoring AND added a potential asset. He also did it without overpaying and signing a long contract which make Parker trade-able if the right deal is there..

Not big on Cams 2nd unit fit. At all. I don't see why you bring him off the bench when he fits better with the starters than Hunter does and Hunter fits with all units. Just makes a lot more sense to start Cam and bring Hunter off the bench. Both should play 30 mpg.

3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Not big on Cams 2nd unit fit. At all. I don't see why you bring him off the bench when he fits better with the starters than Hunter does and Hunter fits with all units. Just makes a lot more sense to start Cam and bring Hunter off the bench. Both should play 30 mpg.

If both Reddish and Hunter will play 30 minutes a night, I'm not sure if it matters who starts and who comes off the bench. Either player will have the same role initially of hitting open shots when the ball comes there way. Neither will be asked to do much ball handling while Trae and Kevin are on the court. Off the bench, I think it'd give Reddish more opportunities to create with the ball in his hands. Playing with non-shooters like Turner and Bembry  and Parker would hurt him, but there will be other shooters on the court.

32 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

If both Reddish and Hunter will play 30 minutes a night, I'm not sure if it matters who starts and who comes off the bench. Either player will have the same role initially of hitting open shots when the ball comes there way. Neither will be asked to do much ball handling while Trae and Kevin are on the court. Off the bench, I think it'd give Reddish more opportunities to create with the ball in his hands. Playing with non-shooters like Turner and Bembry  and Parker would hurt him, but there will be other shooters on the court.

I disagree with the ball handling. All of our wings get a lot of on ball actions. At least if we go by last year. Prince, Baze, and even Bembry got a lot of on ball actions. 

I disagree with as the fit on the bench is just much worse offensively for Cam than with the starters. Trae has significantly higher offensive gravity than Turner. Kev is a significantly better fit next to Cam than Crabbe or Bembry. At center, neither matter too much but Collins is a significantly better fit for Cam than Parker. 

I just don't see the fit for Cam. It would just be Duke with NBA spacing with the 2nd unit. With the 1st unit, it will be optimal spacing for an elite player in space. Just makes a lot more sense to start. 

Cam was the best SF perimeter defender in the draft and the best off ball defender. That fits our personnel grouping. 

Cam is a good PnR handler and that fits our personnel grouping. 

Cam is great at open catch and shoots. Fits our personnel grouping. 

Cam is a good movement player out of actions, fits our personnel grouping. 

Cam just fits. He was doing a lot of off ball actions at Duke, he also sacrificed rebounding, transition buckets and on ball actions at Duke and the ones he got were without space. I think Cam just translate much better than Hunter does and he is the perfect fit with our starters. Not knocking Hunter, he fits but he isn't a great fit with the starters. 

Off ball defense is below average. Gets beat with combo moves which is more common in the NBA than college. Has to adjust to our pace and style of play. These things Cam has already been doing. 

I don't really see this being all that close. I am still under the idea that Cam would be our best player this time next year. 

Hunter just fits all units. Multipositional. All around game. Moves well on or off. Doesn't need touches. Looks to exploit. Doesn't get in no ones way. Excellent Man defender who can defend and switch 1-5. Great base and BBIQ as well as extremely instinctive. Just an army swiss knife superstar.

Edited by NBASupes

15 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I disagree with the ball handling. All of our wings get a lot of on ball actions. At least if we go by last year. Prince, Baze, and even Bembry got a lot of on ball actions. 

I disagree with as the fit on the bench is just much worse offensively for Cam than with the starters. Trae has significantly higher offensive gravity than Turner. Kev is a significantly better fit next to Cam than Crabbe or Bembry. At center, neither matter too much but Collins is a significantly better fit for Cam than Parker. 

I just don't see the fit for Cam. It would just be Duke with NBA spacing with the 2nd unit. With the 1st unit, it will be optimal spacing for an elite player in space. Just makes a lot more sense to start. 

Cam was the best SF perimeter defender in the draft and the best off ball defender. That fits our personnel grouping. 

Cam just fits. He was doing a lot of off ball actions at Duke, he also sacrificed rebounding, transition buckets and on ball actions at Duke and the ones he got were without space. I think Cam just translate much better than Hunter does and he is the perfect fit with our starters. Not knocking Hunter, he fits but he isn't a great fit with the starters. 

Off ball defense is below average. Gets beat with combo moves which is more common in the NBA than college. Has to adjust to our pace and style of play. These things Cam has already been doing. 

I don't really see this being all that close. I am still under the idea that Cam would be our best player this time next year. 

Hunter just fits all units. Multipositional. All around game. Moves well on or off. Doesn't need touches. Looks to exploit. Doesn't get in no ones way. Excellent Man defender who can defend and switch 1-5. Great base and BBIQ as well as extremely instinctive. Just an army swiss knife superstar.

You know I'm just a big of Cam lover as you, I say whoever Coach names the starter earned it.  If it's Cam, I'm cool. If it's Hunter I'm cool too :).

Edit: I do see the fit on the second unit to develop Cam's ball handling this season. 

Edited by marco102
  • Like 1

Just now, NBASupes said:

I disagree with as the fit on the bench is just much worse offensively for Cam than with the starter. Trae has significantly higher offensively gravity than Turner. Kev is a significantly better fit next to Cam than Crabbe or Bembry. At center, neither matter too much but Collins is a significantly better fit for Cam than Parker. 

Perhaps we'll see more ball handling from Reddish since he's better at it than anyone we've had since Bud, but it hasn't been a focal point for our offense. As the game progresses and more players get incorporated into the offense then sure Prince, Baze and Bembry were asked to create. But to start games, our focus has been the PnR with Trae and John. Now, you raise valid points about the differences between Reddish and Hunter I didn't consider, so you're right that Reddish is a better fit with the starters. I would say though, you should temper you're expectations a bit with Reddish because it's unclear what we'll be getting early on. I definitely agree his potential is as high as anyone on the team, but with the injuries he's recovering from, we at least need to see him play to know where he's at currently.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

Perhaps we'll see more ball handling from Reddish since he's better at it than anyone we've had since Bud, but it hasn't been a focal point for our offense. As the game progresses and more players get incorporated into the offense then sure Prince, Baze and Bembry were asked to create. But to start games, our focus has been the PnR with Trae and John. Now, you raise valid points about the differences between Reddish and Hunter I didn't consider, so you're right that Reddish is a better fit with the starters. I would say though, you should temper you're expectations a bit with Reddish because it's unclear what we'll be getting early on. I definitely agree his potential is as high as anyone on the team, but with the injuries he's recovering from, we at least need to see him play to know where he's at currently.

I watched every Duke game over the last 5 years. When I say this is the most underrated player transitioning into the next level that I have seen, I mean it. 

79% of his shots were jumpshots. 7.2 threes a game at a higher NBA potential rate than Kevin and it wasn't close. By the middle of Feb, had a projected as high as Klay. He was the assigned get back on D and don't crash the boards guy as Tre, R.J., Bolden and Zion crashed it. His transition game, he had to deal with Tre who is great in transition for himself and R.J. and Zion who were damn near elite at it. 

People don't understand, I've never seen a star sacrifice so much of his game as if he's on the dream team or something. 

It was a bad bad fit. Hell, terrible fit. But that said, Duke ran a lot of NBA actions and ran a lot for him. Played at a good and translatable pace. He really got better defensively, especially in the 2nd half of the season even if his steals rate dropped due to playing the passing lanes less. He did what was asked. 

I am not UNDERRATING him. Everyone is underestimating him. When I say he could be the best player in the NBA at some point, I mean that shit!

A kid who can score and create as effortless as Jamal Crawford with the body of a young T-Mac and defensive potential of Paul George. My goodness...

Hawks and LP know what the got, the rest of the league about to find out how much they missed on him. 

This kid is truly elite in space. Ya'll gon' learn

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

I agree with this.  I have to learn to temper my expectation with what Supes  says.  He gets me so hyped up about Cam, because I too believe if Cam puts it all together he has No.1 option on a championship team potential. 

You bring up valid points we need to see Cam in actual game action.  He could be a better fit with the second until playing a point guard roll.  He also fits in the role Supes said above.  

All and all it's a good problem to have.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I agree with this.  I have to learn to temper my expectation with what Supes  says.  He gets me so hyped up about Cam, because I too believe if Cam puts it all together he has No.1 option on a championship team potential. 

You bring up valid points we need to see Cam in actual game action.  He could be a better fit with the second until playing a point guard roll.  He also fits in the role Supes said above.  

All and all it's a good problem to have.

I am not too high on him, ya'll just aren't high enough on him and I know you are very high on him marco.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I watched every Duke game over the last 5 years. When I say this is the most underrated player transitioning into the next level that I have seen, I mean it. 

79% of his shots were jumpshots. 7.2 threes a game at a higher NBA potential rate than Kevin and it wasn't close. By the middle of Feb, had a projected as high as Klay. He was the assigned get back on D and don't crash the boards guy as Tre, R.J., Bolden and Zion crashed it. His transition game, he had to deal with Tre who is great in transition for himself and R.J. and Zion who were damn near elite at it. 

People don't understand, I've never seen a star sacrifice so much of his game as if he's on the dream team or something. 

It was a bad bad fit. Hell, terrible fit. But that said, Duke ran a lot of NBA actions and ran a lot for him. Played at a good and translatable pace. He really got better defensively, especially in the 2nd half of the season even if his steals rate dropped due to playing the passing lanes less. He did what was asked. 

I am not UNDERRATING him. Everyone is underestimating him. When I say he could be the best player in the NBA at some point, I mean that shit!

I respect your ability to evaluate talent, but everything you said doesn't change the fact that when Cam plays the Pelicans it will have been around 6 months since he last played in real competition. I think he'll be a star, but that doesn't mean it's gonna come quickly. He sounds ready in interviews and everything else, but I don't expect him to dominate Day 1. Even considering the poor fit, he still didn't play great at Duke. And I agree he sacrificed a lot, but the NBA is a different level. I'm sure he'll figure it out and eventually dominate, just might not be quickly.

Edited by nathan2331
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

I respect your ability to evaluate talent, but everything you said doesn't change the fact that when Cam plays the Pelicans it will have been around 6 months since he last played in real competition. I think he'll be a star, but that doesn't mean it's gonna come quickly. He sounds ready in interviews and everything else, but I don't expect him to dominate Day 1. Even considering the poor fit, he still didn't play great at Duke. And I agree he sacrificed a lot, but the NBA is a different level. I;m sure he'll figure it out and eventually, just might not be quickly.

It will come much sooner than people think. He translates already. 

Context. His tape was MUCH MUCH better than his stats. I always said, watch the tape. I threw out his stats. It doesn't define him. Usually guys with his talent, coaches built around his skill-set or at least run him the 2nd unit to do what he do but Duke 2nd unit was historically weak by Coach Ks standards. Just a bad situation for Cam regardless of the injuries. 

Edited by NBASupes