• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks sign F Jabari Parker

Spud2nique

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Travis never said he was the best perimeter defender. You made that up. Travis said he was a great defender. In my opinion, the 2nd best defender in the draft outside of Zion but he's not a better perimeter defender than Cam. 

Is Schlenk believed that was true then he would have drafted Cam at #4 instead of Hunter. He didn't. 

Let's just hope they both reach their full potential and help make us the best team we can be. 

4 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Travis never said he was the best perimeter defender. You made that up. Travis said he was a great defender. In my opinion, the 2nd best defender in the draft outside of Zion but he's not a better perimeter defender than Cam. 

SMH - come on man...just because you love that Kool-aid, you don't have to try and get the whole board hooked on it.

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Damnit son! How many times I got to explain to you, Hunter wasn't going to be there at #8. Cam was and by us doing the homework we did, he was going to be at #10 as well. Why is that so hard to accept? You keep trying to frame this as #4>#10 that means Hunter is better when in reality, we wanted both players and one was going to go before #8 as both had top 5 draft grades to our staff. That's all it mean, value of the board to others. It doesn't mean Hunter>>>>>>Cam. We had both players as top 5 values. 

Okay man...I've heard your answers on this..now here's mine.  Most every Mock Draft had Cam gone by 8. Spin this however you want but the perception was that Cam was gone at 8.  We made the trade for Hunter before even 1 pick was made.  We knew we had to take hunter at 4 or lose him....that part of your statement is true.  But our expectation was hunter at 4 and Cam is gone...if Cam is not gone then Cam but the expectation by every breathing human at that time was Cam was gone by 8...we traded away 8. End of story. Team gambled Cam would be there...Team traded assets for Hunter because they knew he was gone by 5. If we truly "had" to have Cam. We had future assets to bundled with 10 to move up to 8 and it would have been taken...but we didn't. We gambled.

Knew Hunter gone by 5...traded for him.

Expected Cam gone by 8, pleasantly surprised he was there at 10....end of story....put it to bed....done. 

You are wrong here...suck it up...say "my bad" and move on. Nobody will remember October 1.  And as soon as Hunter gets injured and Cam steps up to start for him for a short stretch, we'll all know if he's better than Hunter or not.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thecampster said:

Okay man...I've heard your answers on this..now here's mine.  Most every Mock Draft had Cam gone by 8. Spin this however you want but the perception was that Cam was gone at 8.  We made the trade for Hunter before even 1 pick was made.  We knew we had to take hunter at 4 or lose him....that part of your statement is true.  But our expectation was hunter at 4 and Cam is gone...if Cam is not gone then Cam but the expectation by every breathing human at that time was Cam was gone by 8...we traded away 8. End of story. Team gambled Cam would be there...Team traded assets for Hunter because they knew he was gone by 5. If we truly "had" to have Cam. We had future assets to bundled with 10 to move up to 8 and it would have been taken...but we didn't. We gambled.

Knew Hunter gone by 5...traded for him.

Expected Cam gone by 8, pleasantly surprised he was there at 10....end of story....put it to bed....done. 

You are wrong here...suck it up...say "my bad" and move on. Nobody will remember October 1.  And as soon as Hunter gets injured and Cam steps up to start for him for a short stretch, we'll all know if he's better than Hunter or not.

Most had Cam going to us. Washington mentioned in the interview they had Rui as high as #4. 

Minny mentioned they had Culver as a top 5 prospect 

Bulls mentioned they had White as a top prospect they coveted. 

The Pelicans mentioned they were targeting Hayes who we traded #8 for. 

So where was Cam going to before #10 if we weren't at #8?

Bulls already stated if White, Garland or Culver was gone, they were taking Hunter. 

Cavs was taking Hunter at #5. That's why Atlanta had to move up. I don't know what's so difficult to understand about this. 

You know I won't stop,  so I am not sure why you asked, have I ever if I have a 99.99% strong feeling about something?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thecampster said:

SMH - come on man...just because you love that Kool-aid, you don't have to try and get the whole board hooked on it.

I don't even think it's debatable. Reddish by the end of season was the best perimeter defender for his position with the likes of if we just going by the film. 

Tre Jones - PG

M. Tybuelle - SG

Cam - SF

Zion and Hunter - PF

Clarke and Zion - C

When you watch Cam, it reminds you Zo Ball on D the way he defends. A lot of scouts both internet and real like his defensive film but people will be surprised just how good he actually translate especially if he is well coached on D. 

To me, I watched so much tape. I just don't see how this is comparable. If you are asking me who is a better defender it's Hunter and it's not even close as Hunter is a generational defender in terms of versatility and strength, body and switchablity. You can't find guys who do the shit Hunter does, if you could, you would overpay. People keep trying to pigeonhole both players but both are special prospect in their own way. Cam just needed to go to a good system which he ended up in the perfect system. Most top 10 teams are never the perfect situation. 

I always pounced on Boston as they been fools gold over the last 4 years in the lottery. Brown and Tatum who could have been much much worse as rookies went to the perfect situation for their development and now their path to reaching their ceiling is really good but a move to the wrong team would have had Tatum stuck in good talent zone and Brown could have washed out altogether. Obviously last year wasn't good with Kyrie killing their locker room but things should be back to normal and watch for guys to take leaps in Boston. 

Both players in my opinion are being severely underrated. I feel like Hunter is by the national guys and the internet scouts. Cam is by internet scouts and even our own Hawks community. 

To me, it's hard to see both of even one fail. I am more sure on them right now with our team than I was with Trae, Kevin and Omari last year. Hell go back to Collins the year before as well. 

Cam is in the perfect situation. Hunter is just a lot more NBA ready than those four coming in. Like I said, I am more impressed by our 2019 than our 2018 draft. 

Long term, 

Cam > Trae even if Trae is our MVP

Hunter > Huerter 

Bruno > Omari, this one won't even be close in three years. 

We had an elite grand slam 2019 draft. We had a waffle house Warriors draft in 2018. We needed 2019 to give us a chance to win big with the 2018 crew. We needed the 2018 crew to make it possible to make a big impact for the 2019 crew. John and Prince were both outside pieces. Prince who had the inside track going into 2018 couldn't fit the 2018 crew and John was a perfect fit offensively so John is part of the core and Prince isn't and TS quickly moved on to the 2019 crew. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Cwell said:

Stopped reading right there smh real life vs fantasy isn't a valid argument

Thecampster has a point.  The team was willing to risk losing Cam.  Flat out.  8 chances another team could take him.  We gambled and won, which was glorious, but I don’t think we would have done that if we viewed him as better than Hunter.  We could have given another asset and kept the 8th pick or traded up to ensure we got him but were ok just hoping he lasted for us.  I am pretty sure Washington will regret passing on him for Rui for a long time.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cwell said:

Stopped reading right there smh real life vs fantasy isn't a valid argument

You know that if you choose the 1 off method, then most every mock draft compilation is like 90% right for the first 20ish picks pretty much every year right?

Why is this an important debate? Both are Hawks and where you were drafted no longer matters. In 2016 The Toronto Raptors drafted Pascal Siakam. What no one remembers is they also had a top ten pick, Jacob Poltl, taken at #9. Organizations think a lot of things, but it's all conjecture until the players get on the court.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Why is this an important debate? Both are Hawks and where you were drafted no longer matters. In 2016 The Toronto Raptors drafted Pascal Siakam. What no one remembers is they also had a top ten pick, Jacob Poltl, taken at #9. Organizations think a lot of things, but it's all conjecture until the players get on the court.

The point of contention is the idea that Schlenk targeted Cam as a starter and Hunter as a bench player on draft night. Cam may very well be the opening night starter, but that certainly was not the plan when Schlenk traded up for Hunter and left Cam to chance. 

You're right that none of it matters now. 

1 hour ago, High5 said:

The point of contention is the idea that Schlenk targeted Cam as a starter and Hunter as a bench player on draft night. Cam may very well be the opening night starter, but that certainly was not the plan when Schlenk traded up for Hunter and left Cam to chance. 

You're right that none of it matters now. 

I believe the point of contention was that because Hunter was drafted at number 4 he would be gifted the starting job.   I just believe their will be healthy competition for the starting position. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter who starts because both will get about 30 minutes per game, per Travis.

16 hours ago, AHF said:

Thecampster has a point.  The team was willing to risk losing Cam.  Flat out.  8 chances another team could take him.  We gambled and won, which was glorious, but I don’t think we would have done that if we viewed him as better than Hunter.  We could have given another asset and kept the 8th pick or traded up to ensure we got him but were ok just hoping he lasted for us.  I am pretty sure Washington will regret passing on him for Rui for a long time.

Counterpoint...

Travis has mentioned on multiple occasions that they go to work figuring out who other teams will be taking with their picks. It's entirely plausible, to me at least, that they had a pretty great idea Cam would be around at 10 (no guarantee of course but they trusted their research and it paid off). 

Also, it's a fair point that all the mocks had Cam not lasting past 8 but the reason for that was because all the mocks had ATL drafting 8. None of us have any reliable info saying any team 5-9 had a plan to take Cam prior to the draft.

There was no scuttlebutt of any team jumping over ATL at 8 to get Cam. 

• Like 2

Huerter, Hunter, and Reddish will have a healthy competition for starting spots and all 3 will play significant minutes. It’s a moot point, 1 wasn’t drafted as a starter and the other as bench. It was calculated strateejury on who would still be on the board when.

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Shots fired!  WTF?  So we are evaluating a guy who had no practice prior to his 1st and only summer league game and making a determination what kind of player he is?  Agenda?  You betcha!

• Moderators
2 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

Counterpoint...

Travis has mentioned on multiple occasions that they go to work figuring out who other teams will be taking with their picks. It's entirely plausible, to me at least, that they had a pretty great idea Cam would be around at 10 (no guarantee of course but they trusted their research and it paid off). 

Also, it's a fair point that all the mocks had Cam not lasting past 8 but the reason for that was because all the mocks had ATL drafting 8. None of us have any reliable info saying any team 5-9 had a plan to take Cam prior to the draft.

There was no scuttlebutt of any team jumping over ATL at 8 to get Cam. 

There was scuttlebutt about Cam going as early as 5 prior to the draft.  I agree that we did our homework and thought we had a good chance to get him but if you have him in the top 5 on your board and you believe that is correct then you are assuming no other team has him that high on their board.  I.e., the other 29 teams are wrong and won't either draft him or trade up for him seeing him being undervalued on the board.  That is a gamble at the end of the day.  It may be a calculated smart gamble but you are willingly putting yourself in a position where he may be gone.  Because, again, we could have give up a future draft asset and ensured we got him and we did not so we were willing to live with it if NO decides to unite Reddish and Zion or something.

• 2 weeks later...