• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

John Collins - PnR

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
On 8/12/2019 at 5:33 PM, JTB said:

Agreed! I don’t know how John can overcome his defensive flaws at 4 or 5! 

I would at least like him to be a better team defender to start. Let's begin there at least.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, AHF said:

As exciting as Trae is (and he is), JC was our best player last year.  That is really promising for the future!

Idk about that. The data says yes but my eyes say this team without Trae is ass. Without John in the 2nd half of the year, we weren't awful. We were just meh.

1st half Trae couldn't impact what 2nd half Trae was.

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Idk about that. The data says yes but my eyes say this team without Trae is ass. Without John in the 2nd half of the year, we weren't awful. We were just meh.

1st half Trae couldn't impact what 2nd half Trae was.

In games Collins started, we were 24-36 for a 40% winning %.  When Collins wasn't healthy enough to start, we were 5-17 for a 22.7% winning %.  That is a huge difference and, as you point out, 1H Trae had a very different impact from 2H Trae and I'm evaluating the entire season.  On that full season basis, JC was out best player for sure.   And my eyes and the numbers both tell me the team was a** when Collins wasn't there.

Beyond the team's performance, the individual player data is compelling and, as you note, all points to JC having been more important last season: 

• The team was actually 1.5 points per 100 possessions worse when Young was on the floor due to his defense.  Atlanta was 6.1 points better on offense and 7.6 points worse on defense when Young was on the floor. 
  • Conversely, the team was 7.0 points better when Collins was on the floor.  Collins had an even bigger positive impact on our offense with the team being 8.9 points better on offense when he was on the floor and a lesser negative impact on D with us only being 1.9 points worse when he on the bench.

If Trae passes Collins this year, that is great for us because I'm sure Collins will continue to be outstanding but I am taking Collins as our MVP last season by both the data and my eyes.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

In games Collins started, we were 24-36 for a 40% winning %.  When Collins wasn't healthy enough to start, we were 5-17 for a 22.7% winning %.  That is a huge difference and, as you point out, 1H Trae had a very different impact from 2H Trae and I'm evaluating the entire season.  On that full season basis, JC was out best player for sure.   And my eyes and the numbers both tell me the team was a** when Collins wasn't there.

Beyond the team's performance, the individual player data is compelling and, as you note, all points to JC having been more important last season: 

• The team was actually 1.5 points per 100 possessions worse when Young was on the floor due to his defense.  Atlanta was 6.1 points better on offense and 7.6 points worse on defense when Young was on the floor. 
  • Conversely, the team was 7.0 points better when Collins was on the floor.  Collins had an even bigger positive impact on our offense with the team being 8.9 points better on offense when he was on the floor and a lesser negative impact on D with us only being 1.9 points worse when he on the bench.

If Trae passes Collins this year, that is great for us because I'm sure Collins will continue to be outstanding but I am taking Collins as our MVP last season by both the data and my eyes.

I tend to be more soft on upcoming Sophomores than most. I was high on SAC for that coming into last year. I am high on us for the same reason

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I tend to be more soft on upcoming Sophomores than most. I was high on SAC for that coming into last year. I am high on us for the same reason

Trae is definitely talented enough to keep taking big steps and become our best player this season.  He just needs to wrest that crown from JC's hands and JC should not make it easy by continuing to improve himself.  They are a dynamic duo happening in our own house!

• Like 1

I am high on JC for this year for sure. His summer videos have looked very strong in the post. I haven't seen him shooting the 3 ball as much, but that might just be what he is being asked to do for Team USA. 

This recent article gave a good review of JC and then drops the hint of him moving way up the rankings if he can bolster his defensive game some.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2019/08/26/nbcsports-coms-50-best-players-in-5-years-kyrie-irving-deandre-ayton-players-25-21/

• Like 3

Agreed on the above posts concerning Collins. He’s a bad man. In 24 min per during his rookie season he averaged 7.3 boards and last year in 30 minutes he grabbed 9.8. Considering he’s currently one of our cornerstones, he could see another bump in minutes to around 33-35 per which could see his average climb over 11 boards a game. 22.5/11.5 seems feasible.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

NBA.com ranks John Collins 3rd amongst all power forwards in the NBA for the upcoming 2019-20 season. Some notables:

Draymond 10th. Porzingis 9th..

I feel like this is fair. Again, I would put him 2nd overall behind Greek Freak. Then again I’m a Hawks fan 😊  Do you all like his ranking?

https://www.nba.com/magic/ranking-best-power-forwards-11-20190710

I like it, i like it!

• Like 2

• Moderators

Collins could easily prove that #3 ranking totally justified but I wouldn't go that high until he shows more on the defensive side of the ball.  I'm purely talking about a 2019-20 ranking here and not about his future ceiling which I like better than his present.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Interesting read!

Last season — despite playing entirely below the rim — Young did quite a bit of jumping, due in large part to John Collins’ explosiveness and power as a finisher. The pair connected on 120 made shots at the rim and 163 buckets overall — a major driver of Young’s resurgent rookie campaign and Collins’ ascent to the fringes of All-Star consideration.

The two were made to complement one another on offense and have forged a dynamic and synergistic pick-and-roll partnership with one another. Young can spot seemingly any pass from any angle and is the sort of shooter who demands extra attention when he rounds screens 30 feet from the basket. Collins, meanwhile, reduces his margin for error. Passes thrown off-target or out of step with his dive to the basket usually still end up crammed through the hoop thanks to Collins’ otherworldly leaping ability and dedication to rolling hard. He glides effortlessly and endlessly through the air, keeping constant pressure on the rim regardless of whether or not he actually receives the ball. Weak-side defenders are necessarily pulled into Collins’ orbit, leaving shooters open around him, and Young, despite his size and age, has the wherewithal to find them:

• Like 3