• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Travis Schlenk agrees to multi-year contract

AHawks89

On 8/21/2019 at 12:22 PM, hazer said:

Blows my mind that BSPN actually pays these dip$hits MONEY to be this incompetent

Seems kinda political don't you think. Incompetence and politics pretty much tread the same waters historically. ESPN is good for some stats but then there is the end of the trail....

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

You picked him for my avatar so you knew I hated his a$$! 

Gambling and Russian Roulette guy. This is a good example of how important avatars can be for identity and possibly for humility. Get well soon Spud. Need a Spud two roundball dunk or a Nique 360 dunk back on there soon.  

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Gambling and Russian Roulette guy. This is a good example of how important avatars can be for identity and possibly for humility. Get well soon Spud. Need a Spud two roundball dunk or a Nique 360 dunk back on there soon.  

Thanks. I’m planning on no more avatar bets. I swear I can’t believe I bet on the Cavs. 😑 

Thats like betting on the Buffalo 🐃 Bills or against Rocky in RockyIII... 😆 

On 8/21/2019 at 3:41 PM, AHF said:

I don't count myself as a hater.

Agree with the Bird/Magic take.

How awesome is it to feel we have a player that can achieve greatness. On top of that how awesome is it that we're part of such an awesome story

• Like 4

• Premium Member
On 8/19/2019 at 5:50 PM, NBASupes said:

Best GM in Atlanta Hawks history by a country mile

Based on what??

Can't be wins and losses.  It can't be personnel.   Statement is just you being a prisoner of the moment.  Nothing he has done has led to winning yet.   Let's win first and then make grand proclamations. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Whenever you talk about GMs, you have several things that you have to consider.  

1.  Trades/FAcy

2.  Drafts

3.  Team Success. 

4.   Ownership. 

5.  Head Coaches

Babcock was GM and he made terrible draft picks, terrible trades/FAcy, but he was able to have great coaches.  Fratello, Lenny were two of the best.   He ended his career picking terrible head coaches like Weiss, Kruger, and that other guy.  All in all though, Babcock worked under very good Ownership who didn't mind spending money and because of that he was able to keep a winning team on the floor.   2.5 stars.

Knight was a terrible drafter.  He brought us hits like Shelden  Acie, and Marvin.   However, Knight succeeded in trades/FAcy.   IsoJoe, Harrington, etc were examples of Good trades. Knight only had 1 coach to work with during his time as GM.  Woody is no Goody.  Knight was the first GM to bring a plan.   Babcock never had a plan, his plan was to find good players and not let stars get old.  Knights plan was Interchangable, long, and athletic.   The thing that nobody says about Knight but is crucial to his evaluation is that he GM'd during the most unstable ownership time.  When Belkin and the ASG split... Knight had to GM through a fight.  He always had a limit that he couldn't spend over.  He also couldn't make personnel moves without all parties agreeing.  All in all with all those things working against him, and also not being able to fire Woody is no Goody or making a major trade at the end of his career, he still got to see his Hawks go farther than they had previously gone.  3.5 stars

Ferry had a short run but here's what we know... Good to very Good on the trades/FAcy.  Not so good on drafts. Ferry excelled in his coach choice.  Bud is by far the best coach the franchise ever had.  Bud actually makes some of Ferry's choices look better.  Ferry worked during uncertain Ownership and it was the ownership that got him tossed.  He was able to take the best that Knight left and convert it into something great.  Ownership gave him far more freedom than they gave night and because of that, he was able to do some very good things.   4.0 stars.

BudCott.  Probably the worst decision anybody could make was to give Bud say in GM moves.  Bud shouldn't function that way.  BudCott had to work with Ferry's mess of contracts.   i.e. all contracts ending at the same damn time.   In a league where players have the power and money flowed, a championship team that was built by Ferry had to be dismantled piece by piece because of greed.  2.7 stars.  

Travis.   Who knows how this will turn out.   It's too early. Here's what we do know... He has very good ownership who lets him do whatever he wants.  Pierce is his only coach.   However, his legacy will be cemented by Trae.  If Luka becomes a star for the ages, nobody will remember Trae.  Trae will become the new Robert Tractor Trailer and Travis will be the new Bob Weinhauer. So there is a lot of incomplete with Travis.  He has done what all GMs do... Firesale and work with the money and draft picks.   ??? Stars... Incomplete. 

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

INCOMPLETE - - YES!

But, it looks a lot like success, doesn't it.

Hawks have no long term gigantic player contracts to worry with.  True, they have some, but they all expire with season's end.

Lloyd Pierce is considered one of the brightest young, talented head coaches in the NBA.  We really don't yet know if this is true.  We believe it.

We have had two drafts that were a success.  No question about this.  We sincerely believe that our three draft picks this summer will be just as good as the two prior years. 

Hawks do not have a super star.  In fact, we may not even have one player selected for the all star team.  Our young players, of which we have many, must grow.  We must depend on our recent draft picks.  How good will they be as they begin their professional career?  Can our returning youth continue to improve?

Finally, can Lloyd Pierce continue to improve as they become more experienced?  Someone is thinking positive thoughts about this Hawk team and all the great things that have already happened.  A new home, completely re done and Emory health facility which is top notch.

Incomplete, yes.  But it has that new car smell, that feeling of success!!

:smug:

PS.. Great to hear from you again Diesel !!

Love all your posts!  I agree we most likely won't have all stars this year - but Trae and John will get consideration,  If this team sneaks into the playoffs in 2020 we will see them both as all stars in 2021. 

• Like 4

• Premium Member
On 8/23/2019 at 11:37 AM, Gray Mule said:

INCOMPLETE - - YES!

But, it looks a lot like success, doesn't it.

Hawks have no long term gigantic player contracts to worry with.  True, they have some, but they all expire with season's end.

Lloyd Pierce is considered one of the brightest young, talented head coaches in the NBA.  We really don't yet know if this is true.  We believe it.

We have had two drafts that were a success.  No question about this.  We sincerely believe that our three draft picks this summer will be just as good as the two prior years. 

Hawks do not have a super star.  In fact, we may not even have one player selected for the all star team.  Our young players, of which we have many, must grow.  We must depend on our recent draft picks.  How good will they be as they begin their professional career?  Can our returning youth continue to improve?

Finally, can Lloyd Pierce continue to improve as they become more experienced?  Someone is thinking positive thoughts about this Hawk team and all the great things that have already happened.  A new home, completely re done and Emory health facility which is top notch.

Incomplete, yes.  But it has that new car smell, that feeling of success!!

:smug:

PS.. Great to hear from you again Diesel !!

Love you graymule but here's where I have to stop you.

It's very incomplete.   This is the same as we saw under BK after his first two seasons.

Young Talent drafted:  Smoove, Childress, Marvin.

No Major Contracts... Got rid of most of his before he actually took over.

Young Bright Head Coach.... Woody was the Defensive coordinator that helped the Pistons win a chip...

Side by Side....  BK and Travis have the same playbook with the exception that BK got rid of some contracts and picked up Joe Johnson.

Every GM does a fire Sale.  Every GM tries to capitalize off the draft.  That's nothing that shout about.

The question is what will Travis do when it's time to really do GMing.  What BK did was pass over CP3 for Marvin Williams and Shelden.   Travis is on time to figure out will he fly or will he fail.

There's too much INC right now to lean either way.

• Thanks 1

Everything is incomplete unless you are a Celtic from the sixties. TS is pretty much a higher being for us at this point. Dwight disappearing no matter the dollars and cents as a first move was the cement for me. TS is our guy for a good while. Yeah, I am easy pickings I guess but you can't understate the locker room ever and drafting has been beyond crafty and what we ever reasonably expected here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

I don't think that Diesel is arguing that we have a terrible lineup of contracts into the future.  I think he is saying that tearing down the roster and getting high lottery picks is standard fare for a rebuild in this era so he doesn't give a ton of credit for that.  He is focusing on whether TS can stick the landing on the transition from "accrue exciting young talent on a roster without big dollar liabilities" to "win now." 

The Sixers are an interesting case study for this.  They tore down and hit and missed with a bunch of high draft picks but never won until they brought in a new GM.  It is interesting because when they started winning it was primarily based around what the old GM had acquired and the new GM screwed up in a number of ways before he got fired for non-basketball reasons but the team went from the lottery to "contender" while he was there.  So who gets credit for this?  Was the transition to winning inevitable and the team's ceiling was lowered with things like the horrific trade for Fultz (giving away two high picks that could have been lynchpins) or was the going in on Jimmy Butler, et al. the key move to bring the team to contender status?

Anyway, I think D unnecessarily discounts how much TS has done with the draft so far but I think he is ultimately saying that Schlenk needs to show he can actually bring to the team into contender status before he is lionized because a lot of teams tear down like this and many fewer actually stick the landing.

• Thanks 1