• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

News and Notes: Updated between Games

JayBirdHawk

10 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Yup we are a team built to shoot 3’a but unable to this far. Joe Harris come onnnnnn down. 

I think we have a decent shooting rotation at SG with Reddish and Huerter I know Harris has been playing SF this season in New Jersey but his natural position is SG. It could work by sliding Reddish or Huerter to SF but I think our biggest weakness is a stretch big. So I say:

Davis Bertans come on down! If the Wizards cannot get out of their cap issue, something in the neighborhood of 3 years and 17M a season would be hard for them to beat. You will not hear me complain if Harris ends up being the shooter we sign; but I would offer more for Bertans all day.

Another option is Jerami Grant. He has been used mostly at PF but he is a tweener in my mind. He and Bertans fits Schlenk's talk about stealing away other teams young backups. Harris on the other hand has been starting in NJ for two seasons now.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

My only issue on Bertans is he's basically a 6'9" 2-guard.  I feel like he solves an issue (shooting) but creates like 3 more - defense, rebounding, toughness, etc.

Grant can't shoot a lick, but gives us a lot of intangibles that we sorely lack.  Could he be a budget Harrell?  Hmmmm

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

My only issue on Bertans is he's basically a 6'9" 2-guard.  I feel like he solves an issue (shooting) but creates like 3 more - defense, rebounding, toughness, etc.

Grant can't shoot a lick, but gives us a lot of intangibles that we sorely lack.  Could he be a budget Harrell?  Hmmmm

Grant's biggest improvements have been his shooting over the past two seasons:

2018/19 3.7 3PA, .392 3P%, .710 FT%

2019/20 3.4 3PA, .400 3P%, .744 FT%

Career:   2.3 3PA, .348 3P%, .666 FT%

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Since we have not witnessed him playing in a Hawk uniform, Skal may be one of the missing pieces that we need.  He is a Hawk and our GM likes him.  We just don't really know what we have.  Film that we have on the Squawk sure looks good.  Thing is, film on any player always will look good because good is all that they will show.

Never the less, we wait and hope that everything will clear up by this fall so we can watch next season on time.  Worry is, we may still be waiting.  This virus isn't going anywhere any time soon....

:smug:

• Like 4

• Premium Member
19 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Atlanta Q&A: Hawks

Screenshot_20200325-203820_The Athletic.jpg

Screenshot_20200325-203910_The Athletic.jpg

This is just ignorant!  Typical of a poor coach is to keep asking the team to do something they just can't do instead of coming up with a game plan that suites your personnel.  Travis, if you wanted a shooting team then your free agent pick ups should not have been J Parker and Evan Turner!  Nor should Bembry be in your rotation!  This team is such a cluster!   

46 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

This is just ignorant!  Typical of a poor coach is to keep asking the team to do something they just can't do instead of coming up with a game plan that suites your personnel.  Travis, if you wanted a shooting team then your free agent pick ups should not have been J Parker and Evan Turner!  Nor should Bembry be in your rotation!  This team is such a cluster!   

I agree it is poor coaching and displays a lack of discipline when players continue to jack up threes; and they are not good shooters. Other coaches are probably drooling when our 2nd unit hits the floor and LP lets them jack up threes for 10 minutes straight.

Next season should be better if we sign better shooters. But the lack of discipline is another matter. Next year is it. LP won't be around for a 4th straight year in the lottery.

• Like 1

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I agree it is poor coaching and displays a lack of discipline when players continue to jack up threes; and they are not good shooters. Other coaches are probably drooling when our 2nd unit hits the floor and LP lets them jack up threes for 10 minutes straight.

Next season should be better if we sign better shooters. But the lack of discipline is another matter. Next year is it. LP won't be around for a 4th straight year in the lottery.

I don't know about that.   With the mantra of develop i think the coaching message was to let it fly.  they design these plays to get guys open looks at the 3 point line.   They have to take them when they are there.   The players not being good shooters is on management.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

I don't know about that.   With the mantra of develop i think the coaching message was to let it fly.  they design these plays to get guys open looks at the 3 point line.   They have to take them when they are there.   The players not being good shooters is on management.

LP's weakness is probably his naivety of thinking he can make a good shooter out of someone like Bembry. Hopefully he will learn that not everyone is meant to take two to three 3s a game per 36. I certainly hope he learns.

• Premium Member

On the bright side, Atlanta did have a quartet of players that performed at least reasonably well from three-point distance in the first 67 games. Even after a cooling period just before the campaign was suspended, Young connected on 36.1 percent of his three-point offerings and, considering the volume (9.5 attempts per game) and difficulty of his shots, he is clearly a high-end shooter.

From there, John Collins saw a huge uptick, knocking down 40.1 percent of his three-point attempts, and Huerter continued his high-end shooting, burying 38.0 percent in his own right. From there, De’Andre Hunter was essentially a league-average three-point shooter (35.5 percent) on almost five attempts per game and, even if it wasn’t incredibly consistent, his shooting was perfectly adequate, especially for a rookie.

Everyone else, though, didn’t exactly pull their weight. In fact, the three-point shooting efficiency rest of the roster was downright disastrous.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2020 at 9:35 AM, KB21 said:

I'd be on board with signing Harrell if we had a different head coach that would know how to use him effectively and could also help expand his game/range.  

You don't have to worry about expanding Harrell's game/range if we sign him. I am sure LP will encourage him to chuck three or more threes a night even he does not make them.

This season, at .658, is his career best free throw percentage. I would not hold my breath on Harrell becoming a legit 3PT threat anytime soon. He needs to make some 15ft shots when no one is guarding him before we can start expecting him to connect on 24ft ones in a game.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I think the only players they are firmly committed to right now are Trae Young and Cam Reddish.

I think everything else is on the table. If they don’t pay John Collins this summer, and I don’t think they will, I could see them trying to see what they can get for him before seeing what his market will look like in 2021. Kevin Huerter had an up-and-down season, but I don’t know if he’s the answer in a backcourt with Young, especially if he can’t improve defensively. They’re probably going to ride it out with De’Andre Hunter because of the amount they paid at the draft. I still think they overpaid for someone who is essentially a glue guy if they keep this young core in place.

Pierce has the Hawks playing an open, modern offense and has been willing to try things within the course of games. Sometimes Atlanta needed to try things and see them fail to move forward...At times, it did seem a little too haphazard. That said, he’s done a lot of things to maximize Trae in particular. it’s certainly odd for Young to look sideways at an offensive solar system that has him as the sun.

• Moderators

Those two quotes are dead on.  That's exactly how i feel about it.  Although I'm higher on Collins than a lot of pundits.  I think he's worth it and hope we pay him.   I agree on Heurter.  I agree on Hunter too.   It was a lot to pay for someone that is 'solid'.    That said though, if Trae and Cam can make a dynamic duo then Hunter maybe be the perfect glue guy you'd have to go out and find anyway and we have him under team control for a while.   A lineup of Trae, Cam, Hunter, Collins, Capela is a pretty solid defensive lineup even with Trae being below average.  So that lineup being a contending lineup depends entirely on Cam becoming a legit offensive threat and Hunter being able to knock down 3s at close to 40%.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Pierce has the Hawks playing an open, modern offense and has been willing to try things within the course of games. Sometimes Atlanta needed to try things and see them fail to move forward...At times, it did seem a little too haphazard. That said, he’s done a lot of things to maximize Trae in particular. it’s certainly odd for Young to look sideways at an offensive solar system that has him as the sun.

Its only odd if the only thing Trae cares about is getting his. I think its spot on if he cares more about winning; which is obvious from where I am sitting.

Giving LP credit for Trae being great is like giving Brian Hill credit for Shaq being great.

Edited by Buzzard