• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

News and Notes: Updated between Games

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Its only odd if the only thing Trae cares about is getting his. I think its spot on if he cares more about winning; which is obvious from where I am sitting.

Giving LP credit for Trae being great is like giving Brian Hill credit for Shaq being great.

I don't think he was giving LP credit for Trae being great, but pointing out that LP created an offensive scheme around Trae and Trae only.  But that's what you do when you have one great player. 

14 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I don't think he was giving LP credit for Trae being great, but pointing out that LP created an offensive scheme around Trae and Trae only.  But that's what you do when you have one great player. 

Last season LP was quoted as saying something like, I let Trae do what he does. That is not a offensive scheme, that is admitting your 18 year old PG knows more about offense than you do. And its really wrong.

Trae knows nothing about how the other four players should move on the floor in a NBA Scheme. The coach is suppose to take care of that. Trae creates the spacing because of his range. When you don't have shooters, take advantage of the open lanes and go inside more.

I hate our offense and dare I say if we did not have Trae, this team would be hard pressed to not lose the most games in NBA history two years in a row.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Last season LP was quoted as saying something like, I let Trae do what he does. That is not a offensive scheme, that is admitting your 18 year old PG knows more about offense than you do. And its really wrong.

That's reading a LOT into that comment from LP.   We most definitely have a scheme.  You may not like it but it's not like LP hasn't implemented a scheme.  

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

That's reading a LOT into that comment from LP.   We most definitely have a scheme.  You may not like it but it's not like LP hasn't implemented a scheme.  

I know the scheme. I have watched it for two seasons. Our team works to get open threes yet our team cannot shoot open threes. That is the scheme for just about everyone. But the bulk of our players cannot shoot threes. Its like we are in denial and our coach thinks we have a good shooting team.

Having players shoot threes that cannot shoot threes is either naive and/or lazy coaching in my opinion.

Edited by Buzzard

14 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I know the scheme. I have watched it for two seasons. Our team works to get open threes yet our team cannot shoot open threes. That is the scheme for just about everyone. But the bulk of our players cannot shoot threes. Its like we are in denial and our coach thinks we have a good shooting team.

Having players shoot threes that cannot shoot threes is either naive and/or lazy coaching in my opinion.

Every team in the NBA does this now.  Every one.  Your beef is with basketball circa 2020, not CLP.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Every team in the NBA does this now.  Every one.  Your beef is with basketball circa 2020, not CLP.

You are funny. Try telling that to the Pacers, Spurs, Thunder, Nuggets, Grizzlies, Lakers, 76ers. What do those seven teams all have in common? They are ranked in the bottom ten for number of threes taken per game and they are all in the playoff hunt.

There is more than one way to win games; and if you don't have three point shooters, try another way.

https://stats.nba.com/teams/traditional/?sort=FG3A&dir=-1

Edited by Buzzard

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

It's a fishing expedition.  Honestly winning games was not the primary goal.  It's figuring out what these players can do and what kind of players we need.   In our rebuilding situation it's dumb to tailor an offense to guys who won't be here next year.     The guys who are long term are all capable of being very good 3 point shooters and good ball handlers.  That's why our offense is what is.  

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

It's a fishing expedition.  Honestly winning games was not the primary goal.  It's figuring out what these players can do and what kind of players we need.   In our rebuilding situation it's dumb to tailor an offense to guys who won't be here next year.     The guys who are long term are all capable of being very good 3 point shooters and good ball handlers.  That's why our offense is what is.  

I think its more in tune to LP not knowing how to coach what he has. You try and get open looks for your players that can shoot; but you don't coach that way for those who can't. The Thunder have MORE average to good three point shooters than us; yet they are ranked 27th in three point attempts per game.

Their average to good 3PT shooters this season are:

Gallinari, Schröder, CP3, Shai, Muscola, and Nader

LP has to get control of this 3PT barrage mentality because I don't see us having more good shooters next season than the Thunder do right now. Otherwise its going to be more of the same. I've said this for as long as I can remember, a missed shot is the same as a turnover. Its exactly why I did not lose any sleep when we let Woody and Josh walk.

Edited by Buzzard

• Moderators

Collins, Heurter, and Trae are all very good 3 point shooters.  Hunter and Cam are good too but had low % being rookies this year.  That's the extent of 'who we have' outside of our 2 centers.   Am I can but 3s heavily in an offense with those 5 guys.  hell yes.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
38 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

It's a fishing expedition.  Honestly winning games was not the primary goal.  It's figuring out what these players can do and what kind of players we need.   In our rebuilding situation it's dumb to tailor an offense to guys who won't be here next year.    

Was J Parker suppose to be here next year?  What about Allen Crabbe...he averaged 18.6 minutes per game. Vince averaged more minutes than Bruno so which is it? Are we developing of trying to win?  Posters keep going around and around in a circle trying to defend LP and there just isn't a defense for this guy.  Oh yeah, I forgot that Bembry averaged 21 minutes per game and would have out paced Reddish had he not gotten hurt

• Like 1

• Moderators
Just now, Peoriabird said:

Was J Parker suppose to be here next year?  What about Allen Crabbe...he averaged 18.6 minutes per game. Vince averaged more minutes than Bruno so which is it? Are we developing of trying to win?  Posters keep going around and around in a circle trying to defend LP and there just isn't a defense for this guy.

What are you talking about.  I'm not talking about not playing guys who aren't long term.  I'm talking about not having at offense that plays to Vince Carter and Jabari Parkers strengths only to have to develop a whole new offense next year.  That's a waste of time for these young guys.

Geez Louise.  Everyone knows that everything we do is for the sake of these young guns becoming stars and legit starters right?   Does anyone think we signed Vince Carter to help us win games?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

And what exactly did he have? (Before the trades).

That is the point. This team has never ( even after the trades ) been chock full of average to good three point shooters; but LP coaches them up like they are.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

What are you talking about.  I'm not talking about not playing guys who aren't long term.  I'm talking about not having at offense that plays to Vince Carter and Jabari Parkers strengths only to have to develop a whole new offense next year.  That's a waste of time for these young guys.

Geez Louise.  Everyone knows that everything we do is for the sake of these young guns becoming stars and legit starters right?   Does anyone think we signed Vince Carter to help us win games?

Say it again for those in the back!:laugh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Buzzard said:

That is the point. This team has never ( even after the trades ) been chock full of average to good three point shooters; but LP coaches them up like they are.

Don't confuse the issue of the guys who should be taking 3pt shots but are missing wide open vs those who shouldn't and aren't.(Like Evan Turner)

Ex: nobody expected Len to regress from 3 as he did, conversely JC was on fire.

Cam was a disaster from 3 in Oct/Nov, but saw improvement and that's why they want him shooting from 3.

Huerter was inconsistent but you still expect him to shoot the 3 at a decent clip.

Hunter was on again/off again on his shot as a rookie, expected.

Trae was Trae

The rest, who cares - when you expect Crabbe to shoot decent from 3 and he doesn't, that's not a scheme issue. That's supposed to be his specialty, that's a him problem.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

He played 15 minutes per game and a lot of times in crunch time.

• Like 1

Our "core 5" guys are all above average shooters or project to be and Schlenk will almost certainly look to add one or two more shooters to the rotation. We should look to add more creativity to help us through the droughts, but high volume 3pt shooting is what the NBA is about these days and our most likely path to success. We'll be better next season for the lumps we took this season.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Say it again for those in the back!:laugh:

Lord help you both @JayBirdHawk and @macdaddy. Here is LP's system. In our 29 Wins this season, we shot 39.78% from three. So in a nutshell, all we have to do is lead the league in 3pt shooting and we have a chance to compete. And to remind you, by compete, I mean just that.

Even when we shot a league leading percentage from downtown, we have not exactly been blowing people away in those 29 wins.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Thanks 1