• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

News and Notes: Updated between Games

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

From a roster standpoint, Pierce was open in saying “we need to add shooting and we need to improve shooting,” all while bringing things back to an emphasis that includes the team’s “core five” of Trae Young, Kevin Huerter, Cam Reddish, De’Andre Hunter and John Collins. Pierce shared that “there’s gonna be a major shift for our team moving forward, and the focus starts with our core five and the evaluation is about each guy’s growth individually.”

• Like 2

On 4/3/2020 at 5:09 PM, Peoriabird said:

Dude is obsessed with shooting...meanwhile the team led the league in turnovers and at the bottom in rebounding and defense.:mad:

Am asking a lot I know but if we can get a full season or close to it of Capela, Dedmon, JC, Bruno and Skal would think we can at the very least even the rebounding numbers per contest out. Do worry about the health thing of course, yeah, of course. Do understand we have to retain possessions even more. The draft is another deal and am guessing from all the news or rumors that rebounding is not on the list...

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Lloyd Pierce constantly urged Teague to shoot the ball more often, but the message didn’t fully break the point guard’s instinct for pump-faking and putting the ball on the floor. He attempted 10 or more shots just three times in 25 games with Atlanta, and didn’t hit multiple 3-pointers in any of them.

That must change if Teague is to retain his effectiveness moving forward. Teague has been a passable 3-point shooter for much of his career, and as his speed continues to decline, the jumper will become an increasingly important part of his game. The more hesitant he is, the less attention defenders will pay him when he doesn’t have the ball. If he remains with the Hawks moving forward, it will be crucial that he become a more willing 3-point gunner.

The Hawks acquired Teague open to the possibility of keeping him around beyond the 2020 season. They believed the 6-3 point guard could not only back up Young, but occasionally share the floor with him as a floor-spacer and secondary playmaker. “That was one of the areas going into the summer that we knew we were going to have to address,” Travis Schlenk told The Athletic when the Hawks acquired Teague. “This is a great opportunity to have a dress rehearsal and see how it goes. We are hopeful.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators

If you are relying on Teague becoming confident and aggressive with his jumper to succeed going forward then don’t sign him.  You aren’t ever going to see it happen.

• Premium Member

Bembry’s inability to shoot makes him difficult to accommodate on offense when he doesn’t have the ball. He shot just 23 percent from beyond the arc this season, and didn’t look comfortable even taking open catch-and-shoot jumpers early in the year. Bembry attempted nearly 60 percent of his shots at the rim -- an astronomical mark for a guard -- but while he’d occasionally put down a forceful dunk, he shot a modest 58 percent there.

.......his assist percentage dipped last year while his turnovers increased as he worked more as a primary ball-handler. He needs to move quickly and decisively to overcome his shooting limitations, but that can lead to moving too quickly and too decisively at times. Bembry also fell prey to poor decision-making -- most notably against Indiana and Miami, when he cost the Hawks opportunities to win with ill-advised shot attempts in the lane. He’ll occasionally get caught in the air without a backup plan, or lose his balance as he attacks downhill.

Defensively, he competes hard and can cover at least three positions capably. He was among Atlanta’s most disruptive and instinctive defenders, expertly playing passing lanes and aggressively pursuing loose balls. He keeps the ball in front of him, fights over screens, and usually makes the correct rotations. On this year’s Hawks, that was a much-needed element with so few capable defenders on the roster. But as the disparity between Bembry and Atlanta’s other wings shrinks on that end of the floor, his defense won’t so easily balance out his offense.

• Sad 2

• Premium Member

Lloyd Pierce constantly urged Teague to shoot the ball more often, but the message didn’t fully break the point guard’s instinct for pump-faking and putting the ball on the floor. He attempted 10 or more shots just three times in 25 games with Atlanta, and didn’t hit multiple 3-pointers in any of them.

That must change if Teague is to retain his effectiveness moving forward. Teague has been a passable 3-point shooter for much of his career, and as his speed continues to decline, the jumper will become an increasingly important part of his game. The more hesitant he is, the less attention defenders will pay him when he doesn’t have the ball. If he remains with the Hawks moving forward, it will be crucial that he become a more willing 3-point gunner.

Dude, All players aren't 3 point shooters!

• Moderators
54 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Dude, All players aren't 3 point shooters!

Teague shoots 36% from range for his career and shot 36.8% last year.  For some reason, he took fewer 3pters for the Hawks per minute than he has taken for any team since he was 22.  Let's not pretend like Teague doesn't bear responsibility for his timidness.  I would have been calling for him to take more of them too.

• Thanks 4

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

Teague shoots 36% from range for his career and shot 36.8% last year.  For some reason, he took fewer 3pters for the Hawks per minute than he has taken for any team since he was 22.  Let's not pretend like Teague doesn't bear responsibility for his timidness.  I would have been calling for him to take more of them too.

Teague has been a low volume 3 point shooter his entire career.  Why would he be a high volume shooter toward the end of his career?

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Teague has been a low volume 3 point shooter his entire career.  Why would he be a high volume shooter toward the end of his career?

That is a red herring.  We don't know if he was even asked to become a high volume shooter.  

Again, he shot 50% fewer 3pters with the Hawks this season than his career average.  (2.1 3pt attempts per game versus career 3.2 attempts per game).  Why would he shoot significantly fewer 3pt shots this season once he came to the Hawks?  I already noted that this was his lowest 3pt shot rate since he was 22.

He might have been asked to do nothing more than his average output.  In either case, I can't blame LP at all for wanting him to shoot them more often than he was.

And a reason why you might ask him to shoot more of them is (a) because he has lost a step and can't get the same shots inside the arc that he used to be able to get and so you'd expect a player to adjust to that limitation with more 3's and (b) because he was a better alternative than a number of our other options and so you'd expect him to do more not less when too many of the Hawks' alternatives were not big threats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member

Goodwin is an infinitely more exciting prospect on the defensive end of the court. And he seems to know that. He possesses above average speed and quickness. He makes himself a bigger defender with effort, proactiveness and a willingness to be consistently more physical than the player he is guarding.

The 24-year-old guard diagnoses the offensive action well and is an excellent communicator. He may be a slightly better defender off the ball than he is functioning at the point of attack, which has increasing value as the league continues to value the dribble-handoff (DHO) technique as a mechanism to get offensive creators working off of screens without the basketball.

Goodwin displays excellent technique navigating screens in general. He gets a should into the body of the screener as uses his hands to (legally) work around the opposing player without risking a foul. He doesn’t give up on a play when its reversed and he has to work backacross the screen in the opposite direction. He consistently exhibits the effort, focus and intelligence to be a trusted defender.

Goodwin is also a good team defender and even shows resistance at the rim when rotations dictate in the half court. But if he weren’t already most of these things on defense, he would have been unlikely to get the opportunities he has been afforded thus far.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Really like this guy. No fear mentality on defense. Remember the Magic crying about how they can't just let an unfamiliar kid outplay them and help take a game away from them like he did during the season. 

On 4/3/2020 at 4:02 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

This is true. My guy has said Atlanta wants Harris from Brooklyn. The Knicks are also in on Harris and I was told will likely land him. A name that stood out but I don't think will be available is Gordon Hayward. It was said Atlanta has a lot of interest. 

Others are obviously Trez and of course Davis Bertrans who like Harris is seen as a sure bet for another team (WAS). 

As for the draft, I was told Atlanta is open to anything. They want to add shooting but they could go the route of filling a need. I was told if a team offered the caliber of Zach LaVine or a player in that caliber, they would do the deal. I'll doubt this would happen but I was told Devin Booker is a target. I can't imagine how bad that defense would be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Moderators
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

This is true. My guy has said Atlanta wants Harris from Brooklyn. The Knicks are also in on Harris and I was told will likely land him. A name that stood out but I don't think will be available is Gordon Hayward. It was said Atlanta has a lot of interest. 

Others are obviously Trez and of course Davis Bertrans who like Harris is seen as a sure bet for another team (WAS). 

As for the draft, I was told Atlanta is open to anything. They want to add shooting but they could go the route of filling a need. I was told if a team offered the caliber of Zach LaVine or a player in that caliber, they would do the deal. I'll doubt this would happen but I was told Devin Booker is a target. I can't imagine how bad that defense would be.

I guess the Knicks will offer more?  I'd love to have Harris.  I'm glad we're looking for shooting.   Hayward would be interesting but not sure what he has left in the tank. 

I can't image Lavine or Booker being a good match alongside Trae though.  If we could pry Olidipo....

4 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I guess the Knicks will offer more?  I'd love to have Harris.  I'm glad we're looking for shooting.   Hayward would be interesting but not sure what he has left in the tank. 

I can't image Lavine or Booker being a good match alongside Trae though.  If we could pry Olidipo....

I can't either which is why I believe it when I see it. But teams are talking more than ever as you can imagine. 

He also said Atlanta isn't open to trading one of their big 5 pieces but they might be open to listening for Kevin or John if the price is right. The belief is Atlanta spend too much for Hunter and won't move him and see Cam and Trae highly. 

As for John, he said Atlanta wants to workout a good deal for him if possible. If John wants to come back, Atlanta is open to it but cost seems to be a big deal. Capela is seen as a long term piece.

• Thanks 4