• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

News and Notes: Updated between Games

JayBirdHawk

16 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I said nothing of consequence like someone being hospitalized or dying from an infection whose origins could be traced back to players or other involving in sports.

This only matters if you think it can't happen.

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, kg01 said:

This only matters if you think it can't happen.

Its a non lethal virus...No one has shut everything down for an out break of influenza which can be as deadly.  Nor have people stopped sending their children to school because of mass shooting even though the threat still exist.  My suggestion is not to have people like us debate this issue but rather the people who are smarter and are proven problem solvers and engineers.  Those are the people who have over come much worse while coming up with a better solution than stay in your house.

36 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Not one case has been sports related?  How do you figure? Several players got infected and several who were at that same game in Brooklyn.

Not that it matters anyway.  How many infections are restaurant related or playground related?

I mean we can try to contact trace every Covid-19 death if you want. If we eliminate every possible place, we may as well be in an underground bunker.

7 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Its a non lethal virus...No one has shut everything down for and out break of influenza which can be as deadly.  Nor have people stopped sending their children to school because of mass shooting even though the threat still exist.  My suggestion is not to have people like us debate this issue but rather the people who are smarter and are proven problem solvers and engineers.  Those are the people who have over come much worse while coming up with a better solution than stay in your house.

I've come to feel, folks that are trying to say this ain't as bad as {insert whatever}, aren't paying attention.

3 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I mean we can try to contact trace every Covid-19 death if you want. If we eliminate every possible place, we may as well be in an underground bunker.

You're not? 🕯️

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I've come to feel, folks that are trying to say this ain't as bad as {insert whatever}, aren't paying attention.

I am a physician and actually tested positive while having severe symptoms in early February so I pay attention.  I had a discussion with the health department earlier today about COVID 19 so I know how serious some cases can be.  But the bigger picture is people have to live and have jobs at some point so when there is a way to get people back to work in an environment created to be low risk, why not?  Over 60% of Americans could not with stand a $400 setback without significant consequences.  We are well past that now and people are hurting.  I know we can come up with a solution right now so that if some other virus even more deadlier than this one shows up in the future, we should have a better response than go home and hide under your blankets for 3-4 months.

• Like 2

You don't come up with a solution to the next pandemic by being irresponsible during the current one. We could have had measures in place to ease the current suffering, but the people at the top dropped the ball. So now we have to pay for that. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I am a physician and actually tested positive while having severe symptoms in early February so I pay attention.  I had a discussion with the health department earlier today about COVID 19 so I know how serious some cases can be.  But the bigger picture is people have to live and have jobs at some point so when there is a way to get people back to work in an environment created to be low risk, why not?  Over 60% of Americans could not with stand a $400 setback without significant consequences.  We are well past that now and people are hurting.  I know we can come up with a solution right now so that if some other virus even more deadlier than this one shows up in the future, we should have a better response than go home and hide under your blankets for 3-4 months.

Thanks for your work and bringing the truth. 

24 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

You should read my analysis about why the fatality rates are being overstated, and the doomsday models were basically wrong. That being said, I understand not wanting to take any chances with a novel virus that we didn't know much about. But as more real data has come in, not arbitrary models or projections, Covid-19 is not as lethal as originally thought and may end up having numbers similar to the flu after an extrapolated analysis of antibody tests are done. 

The point of social distancing, shelter in place was to flatten the curve, to slow down the spread, as a spike in cases could overwhelm hospitals that might not have enough beds, vents, etc. Hospitals are not overcapacity right now. Some are practically vacant due to delayed elective procedures. But some seem to think the plan is to stay at home until a vaccine emerges or something. That's not in the cards, that will take far too long. Possibly 12 to 18 months. The idea of an open ended, indefinite nearly nationwide shelter in place is completely untenable.

46 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

We all recognize we've got to get back to work soon.

28 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

Thanks for your work and bringing the truth. 

He's not saying anything we're all not already thinking.

• Moderators

No one knows the true death rate but all data currently points to it being much higher than the flu despite what people's opinions are about that.   

Hospitals are overcrowded in a lot of areas including Atlanta and other parts of Georgia which is why the governor is setting up temporary medical facilities.  Piedmont is opening it's new wing 5 months early.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlanta/georgia-adding-temporary-hospitals-early-300-beds-ahead-coronavirus-surge/Q62ORPECVZEYRNCI5GJPM33FT4/

Just because there may not be a lot of cases in some areas doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of other areas, particularly cities, that aren't still getting slammed.

5 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

No one knows the true death rate but all data currently points to it being much higher than the flu despite what people's opinions are about that.   

Hospitals are overcrowded in a lot of areas including Atlanta and other parts of Georgia which is why the governor is setting up temporary medical facilities.  Piedmont is opening it's new wing 5 months early.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlanta/georgia-adding-temporary-hospitals-early-300-beds-ahead-coronavirus-surge/Q62ORPECVZEYRNCI5GJPM33FT4/

Just because there may not be a lot of cases in some areas doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of other areas, particularly cities, that aren't still getting slammed.

Yes there are certain hot spots. Nationwide hospitals are not at overcapacity. I'm on record saying if the final fatality rate is above 1% percent the board can pick me the most shameful avatar they can find. Rake me over the coals. Tar and feather me. My estimate from the data is that it's 0.2% or 0.3,% which is two or three times deadlier than the flu, respectively.

5 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Yes there are certain hot spots. Nationwide hospitals are not at overcapacity. I'm on record saying if the final fatality rate is above 1% percent the board can pick me the most shameful avatar they can find. Rake me over the coals. Tar and feather me. My estimate from the data is that it's 0.2% or 0.3,% which is two or three times deadlier than the flu, respectively.

You're just tryna get somebody on record rooting for people to die.

😲

• Moderators

I'm just going to exercise some Squad mod authority here and say no one is making bets on this site about how many people will die or what the death rate looks like or anything like that around this pandemic.  Take it elsewhere if you want to make bets on how many lives are lost to this.

So any posts discussing bets on this topic moving forward will be edited or deleted.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, AHF said:

If they do return, I think it would be great if they could figure out some way to get "crowd" noise involved so the telecast isn't eerily quiet.  Not sure if that is piping in noise or something.  I've found that normally live audience television programming without the crowd misses an important element.

Good point and this is something I’m very interested in. The sound of the sneakers squeaking and ball pounding without fans would be a little weird. They would have to do something to make it more watchable. I get that we don’t have many options, but it shouldn’t be something that is awkward and depressing to watch. For the players too - they feed off of the crowd. The Falcons used to pump in crowd noise, I wonder how much it helped the overall noise levels.

3 hours ago, bleachkit said:

I think its the age bracket of the deaths being centralized that has most people concerned. Ages 50 - 65 is some of our most knowledgeable and experienced leaders in all facets of business and government. If this less than 1% was across the board demographically, there would be less of a concern. But its not.

I am in that age bracket and do not want any part of catching this. I think most of our Government and Business leaders feel the same way. So to me the problem is not the overall death rate; its the easy passing of it from a younger person on to a older person that has most of the nation in a panic.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, cam1218 said:

Good point and this is something I’m very interested in. The sound of the sneakers squeaking and ball pounding without fans would be a little weird. They would have to do something to make it more watchable. I get that we don’t have many options, but it shouldn’t be something that is awkward and depressing to watch. For the players too - they feed off of the crowd. The Falcons used to pump in crowd noise, I wonder how much it helped the overall noise levels.

All of that can be simulated for a telecast.  That's old technology

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

All of that can be simulated for a telecast.  That's old technology

But for the players? I’m also thinking something more modern can be done that can somehow have fan involvement from home. 

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, cam1218 said:

But for the players? I’m also thinking something more modern can be done that can somehow have fan involvement from home. 

I'm sure it can be done but 1st things 1st. Let's get these guys back to work.