• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

News and Notes: Updated between Games

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

NBA Power Rankings: Looking Five Years Into the Future

20. Hawks – There’s legitimate talent here to form an Eastern Conference contender over the next half-decade. Trae Young could be in the running for All-NBA honors if he can be any better than the league’s worst defender, and the John Collins-Clint Capela frontcourt is intriguing. Let’s stay optimistic for the next stage of Young’s career.

https://www.si.com/nba/2020/04/24/nba-power-rankings-predicting-every-teams-future

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

NBA Power Rankings: Looking Five Years Into the Future

https://www.si.com/nba/2020/04/24/nba-power-rankings-predicting-every-teams-future

Is this what power rankings are supposed to look like in 5 years or which teams will enjoy the most success over the next five years?  I can see a case for the list they have if they are looking at 5 years worth of results.  It seems like a pointless exercise that is guaranteed to be radically wrong if they are predicting which teams will look the best if they did a power ranking in 5 years.

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, AHF said:

Is this what power rankings are supposed to look like in 5 years or which teams will enjoy the most success over the next five years?  I can see a case for the list they have if they are looking at 5 years worth of results.  It seems like a pointless exercise that is guaranteed to be radically wrong if they are predicting which teams will look the best if they did a power ranking in 5 years.

See if this helps:

We have a fair idea of the NBA hierarchy in 2020, with the Bucks and Los Angeles squads currently standing as the league’s top teams. But how will things look in five years? The league landscape looked far different in 2015, back when Cleveland won the East and the Spurs still had Kawhi Leonard. A half-decade can feel like a lifetime in the NBA, especially given the rapid rate of turnover from franchise to franchise.

So who is slated to run the league in 2025? Let’s assess the state of the NBA in our five-year power rankings.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
19 hours ago, Buzzard said:

Does not make a lot of sense to me due to the ages of some of these teams. In 2025:

LeBron will turn 41 in December

Kevin Durant will be 37 in September

Kyrie Irving will be 33 in March

George will turn 35 in May

Leonard will turn 34 in June

Curry will turn 37 in March

Thompson will turn 35 in February

Just like LeBron, Durant, Curry, Harden, and Leonard took the league by storm, so will the next group of stars. And the Rockets with Harden who will be 36 in August of 2025; come on Sports Illustrated. There is no fountain of youth in sports. Even Brady showed decline last season.

Exactly.  I read that description but didn't think it matched up with the rankings.  This is not far at all from a 2020 ranking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

My favorite questions and answers from this Q & A....

Fan:

Have you heard anything reputable about specific. players the hawks might be interested in this offseason? Free agency/draft/trades

Kirschner:

I do know Harris/Bertans/Bogdanovic are three names they're expected to pursue.

Fan:
Not knowing where Hawks are gonna pick, give us two or three guys who are at the top of their list?

Kirschner:

Anthony Edwards, Deni Avdija, Isaac Okoro are three that make the most sense.

Fan:

Any thoughts on Off-Ball development of Trae Young’s offensive game? I don’t think it’s natural for him based on his history, but I do think it’ll be a game changer for his/the team’s growth. Curious if you’ve heard how the Organization views it?

Kirschner:

. They really want him to grow in that area. He's one of the best catch-and-shoot shooters in the league. The Hawks know this and they're looking to capitalize on that. That's why finding a secondary playmaker is important for them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JTB said:

My favorite questions and answers from this Q & A....

Fan:

Have you heard anything reputable about specific. players the hawks might be interested in this offseason? Free agency/draft/trades

Kirschner:

I do know Harris/Bertans/Bogdanovic are three names they're expected to pursue.

Fan:
Not knowing where Hawks are gonna pick, give us two or three guys who are at the top of their list?

Kirschner:

Anthony Edwards, Deni Avdija, Isaac Okoro are three that make the most sense.

Fan:

Any thoughts on Off-Ball development of Trae Young’s offensive game? I don’t think it’s natural for him based on his history, but I do think it’ll be a game changer for his/the team’s growth. Curious if you’ve heard how the Organization views it?

Kirschner:

. They really want him to grow in that area. He's one of the best catch-and-shoot shooters in the league. The Hawks know this and they're looking to capitalize on that. That's why finding a secondary playmaker is important for them.

The last part suggests a blockbuster to get Ben Simmons so he can make plays and Trae can play off the ball and fire 🔥 away.

Hawks receive : Ben Simmons

Sixers receive: Hunter/2020 Hawks 1st/2022 Hawks 1st/Dedmon

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

The last part suggests a blockbuster to get Ben Simmons so he can make plays and Trae can play off the ball and fire 🔥 away.

Hawks receive : Ben Simmons

Sixers receive: Hunter/2020 Hawks 1st/2022 Hawks 1st/Dedmon

Tell me...how did you get Ben Simmons out of all of that ???

i love the idea, the trade you put together ....I’m just very confused how Simmons came to mind.

• Haha 4

39 minutes ago, JTB said:

Tell me...how did you get Ben Simmons out of all of that ???

i love the idea, the trade you put together ....I’m just very confused how Simmons came to mind.

Probably "secondary playmaker" seeking.  That's Simmons' ideal role imho.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Probably "secondary playmaker" seeking.  That's Simmons' ideal role imho.

I would have to disagree but on top of that I’m not sure if two first including hunter and dedmon would land us Simmons