• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

News and Notes: Updated between Games

JayBirdHawk

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Probably "secondary playmaker" seeking.  That's Simmons' ideal role imho.

We all the same person. 😉 Yup, Ben makes plays and Trae runs off screens. Then Trae takes over and Ben goes hard ina paint 🎨

26 minutes ago, JTB said:

I would have to disagree but on top of that I’m not sure if two first including hunter and dedmon would land us Simmons 

The deal might be fair, no? I mean they get a top 5 guy back in Hunter (4th overall) they get a most likely top 5 (maybe 7 pick) this year and probably ima pick in the 20’s from us in 2022. Hunter is a philly guy too like lw3! 😊 

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

The deal might be fair, no? I mean they get a top 5 guy back in Hunter (4th overall) they get a most likely top 5 (maybe 7 pick) this year and probably ima pick in the 20’s from us in 2022. Hunter is a philly guy too like lw3! 😊 

26 year old Anthony Davis with 1 year on his contract was traded for Lonzo, Ingram, Hart and 3 1sts (2019 #4, 2021 1st (unprotected in 2022 if '21 not conveyed), rights to swap in 2023, and unprotected in 2024 or 2025.

Simmons is 23 years old and has 4 years remaining on his contract, so I don't see Philly accepting only Hunter and 2 1sts. They'd probably want at least Collins and Huerter too.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

26 year old Anthony Davis with 1 year on his contract was traded for Lonzo, Ingram, Hart and 3 1sts (2019 #4, 2021 1st (unprotected in 2022 if '21 not conveyed), rights to swap in 2023, and unprotected in 2024 or 2025.

Simmons is 23 years old and has 4 years remaining on his contract, so I don't see Philly accepting only Hunter and 2 1sts. They'd probably want at least Collins and Huerter too.

Exactly...And thing is whenever you’re trading for a star it’s not going to be a fair trade the majority of the time for the team that’s going to land the star player.

i mean if things work itself out then you could be trading a all star for an all star and by that I mean Ingram turning into a all star for the pelicans but during the time of the trade Ingram wasn’t thought of as an all star and no one knew when he’d have a breakout season ...but good for the pelicans it all worked out. They got an all star in return and landed the top pick.

lucky bastards 

11 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Fair deal which is why it wouldn’t happen 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I will point out that Davis is a better player and one without a glaring weakness in his game like Simmons so all things equal he should command materially more than Simmons.  A consumated deal wouldn't be ramped up from the haul NO got for Davis for that reason despite the favorable contract status.  It might also be lower because I think LA priced this assuming they would resign AD and effectively paid for a similar contract.  

That said, I think you are correct in saying this isn't going to be enough.

6 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Weird to me how majority of people would tell you either Jordan, Kobe, Lebron, or some legendary big man is their favorite player but yet the 3 ball is preferred and loved among fans, players, coaches, franchises over the mid range game and really just over 2s in general. 

Edited by JTB

3 minutes ago, JTB said:

Weird to me how majority of people would tell you either Jordan, Kobe, Lebron, or some legendary big man is their favorite player but yet the 3 ball is preferred and loved among fans, players, coaches, franchises over the mid range game and really just over 2s in general. 

That said I recall Trae making a statement after his workout with Kobe last off season that Kobe told him some way some how he need to find a mid range game.

we saw trae use his floater a lot more this season.

I then recall earlier this year lebron made a statement or tweet (I think) that “2s win championships”...Trae agreed with that comment by reposting/ retweeting, liking it, or something.

Bottom line is I hope Trae and the rest of these young guys realize how valuable the mid range is! And I hope LP will realize this too! Not to go on a rant but outside of Traes floater... Reddish off the dribble mid jumper he displayed a few times and Hunter size up mid range (that kinda reminds me of Joe Johnson) were very good shots that I didn’t see enough of this season! Especially Reddish!...Go back and watch Reddish take his guy off the dribble and the flow naturally into that mid range jumper...it...is...beautiful folks! Really is!

lots of weapons this young team has that hasn’t been used and not smart to throw the mid range out the door. We need to be full complete dangerous offense every where on the floor not just 3s and paint shots.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JTB said:

I don't think it's necessarily a matter of loving the 3. It's just the most efficient way to play the game. 

1 hour ago, JTB said:

The game is more boring now than it was back then. 

The one on one battles are almost gone. The poster dunks are gone, outside of Lebron's hard charging to the rim. Big men aren't asked to do no more than run to the rim or shoot low percentage 3s instead of higher percentage short corner 2s.

The last NBA game I went to live, was the epic 4 OT game vs Chicago in which the Hawks lost.  As great as the last 1/3 of that game was, my thought in the 1st half was . . . this is boring as shit.

Nothing but 3's and uncontested layups.  And the 3s weren't going in.  That is boring basketball.

At least in the 2nd half, guys not only started to make shots, guys ( out of the desperation of the game ), started taking the ball to the hole.  I still remember Lavine's dunk that seem to come out of nowhere.  Then when Trae got going in the 4th quarter, it was really exciting basketball.

But I'd rather watch Joe Johnson probe to get his own shot for 15 seconds, than to watch a guy wait in the corner for a corner 3, in which he may not even touch the ball for 4 - 5 possessions.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, JTB said:

...and Hunter size up mid range (that kinda reminds me of Joe Johnson)...

Nice call on the 'Dre/JJ mid-range comparison, I've often thought the exact same ✅

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

The game is more boring now than it was back then. 

The one on one battles are almost gone. The poster dunks are gone, outside of Lebron's hard charging to the rim. Big men aren't asked to do no more than run to the rim or shoot low percentage 3s instead of higher percentage short corner 2s.

The last NBA game I went to live, was the epic 4 OT game vs Chicago in which the Hawks lost.  As great as the last 1/3 of that game was, my thought in the 1st half was . . . this is boring as shit.

Nothing but 3's and uncontested layups.  And the 3s weren't going in.  That is boring basketball.

At least in the 2nd half, guys not only started to make shots, guys ( out of the desperation of the game ), started taking the ball to the hole.  I still remember Lavine's dunk that seem to come out of nowhere.  Then when Trae got going in the 4th quarter, it was really exciting basketball.

But I'd rather watch Joe Johnson probe to get his own shot for 15 seconds, than to watch a guy wait in the corner for a corner 3, in which he may not even touch the ball for 4 - 5 possessions.

😂 I guess I’m not ever going to fully understand analytics since the claim is it’s more efficient and effective to shoot more 3s and layups/dunks only .

But What’s really odd is that most blame this new era on the warriors with all the 3s and what not but I could have sworn over the past 5 seasons during the warriors championship runs... in the last 2-3 championship trips the warriors was the best two point team in the nba (at least that’s what I recall!)...from what I remember was teams were running them off the 3pt line (As they expected I’m sure) and curry was going to his floater a lot, klay was hitting solid mid rangers, and KD mainly operated at the top of the key in their offense.

I like analytics but I think it’s overkill too often! I mean take lebron who’s been to 8 or 9 finals for example  . Lebron is not a good 3pt shooter but especially in the playoffs he’s not a threat at 3 point line at all (when you consider his playoff percentages)but when playoffs come around he knows it’s about to get real so he puts his head down drives to the paint and get to work! 
At the end of the day ...I think 3s are great but play to your strengths or take what the defense gives you!

Instead of focusing on the analytics teams should be focused on being lethal at all 3 levels on the floor...paint, mid range, & beyond the arc.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, hazer said:

Nice call on the 'Dre/JJ mid-range comparison, I've often thought the exact same ✅

@hazer workin the stroke nicely.  Looking smoother and smoother. I like the couple stutter steps before the pull-up 3 from D Hunt (I guess that’s what we calling him now 😂).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

@hazer workin the stroke nicely.  Looking smoother and smoother. I like the couple stutter steps before the pull-up 3 from D Hunt (I guess that’s what we calling him now 😂).

Muh bwah JENT! 💫

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hazer said:

Been saying this since mid-December.

TheNorthCydeRises

• Head Coach
  •  
  • TheNorthCydeRises
  • Squawkers 
  • 13,481 posts
  • Fan since:1984
ON 12/15/2019 AT 8:18 PM, NBASUPES SAID:

Other than the bolded, I thought this was a good post. The bolded is horrible tho. LP needs to be here as long as we are rebuilding like Brown with the Sixers. Hunter at the 2 is just plain stupid. He can't beat no one off the dribble and struggles to create on the drive. The 2 is the last position he should be at. As others have said, Hunter will be better than his true partner in crime (Collins) is back.

Playing Hunter at the 2 would enable him to use his bigger frame to draw more fouls and shoot over people when he does drive, ala a young Joe Johnson. 

He can defend the position easily, and might even be more of a nightmare defensively if he played the 2 more often.  He's not a physical player, which is why playing him at the 3 and the 4 really sees us take a hit on the boards.

The small ball lineups aren't working.  And they'll never work with this personnel.   They can only work if we're shooting 40% from 3.   If we're missing, someone has to rebound the basketball.  Right now, no one is doing either.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Been saying this since mid-December.

TheNorthCydeRises

• Head Coach
  •  
  • TheNorthCydeRises
  • Squawkers 
  • 13,481 posts
  • Fan since:1984
ON 12/15/2019 AT 8:18 PM, NBASUPES SAID:

Other than the bolded, I thought this was a good post. The bolded is horrible tho. LP needs to be here as long as we are rebuilding like Brown with the Sixers. Hunter at the 2 is just plain stupid. He can't beat no one off the dribble and struggles to create on the drive. The 2 is the last position he should be at. As others have said, Hunter will be better than his true partner in crime (Collins) is back.

Playing Hunter at the 2 would enable him to use his bigger frame to draw more fouls and shoot over people when he does drive, ala a young Joe Johnson. 

He can defend the position easily, and might even be more of a nightmare defensively if he played the 2 more often.  He's not a physical player, which is why playing him at the 3 and the 4 really sees us take a hit on the boards.

The small ball lineups aren't working.  And they'll never work with this personnel.   They can only work if we're shooting 40% from 3.   If we're missing, someone has to rebound the basketball.  Right now, no one is doing either.

So 'Dre at 2 and Cam at 3?

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, hazer said:

I don't think you have to start Dre at the 3 but you certainly could design a play that forces the defense to switch resulting in the 2 guarding Dre.  oops...I forgot who was the head coach. Never mind.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, hazer said:

Either or.  It doesn't matter to me.  The key is that those two can play the 2 or the 3 on both sides of the ball.  And it keeps them out of possibly going up against a bigger guy at the 4.

My comment in December came after the Laker game in which the Hawks almost won, but got destroyed on the boards because the Lakers were so much bigger than us.  LP opted to play his most skilled guys, instead of trying to somewhat neutralizing the height of the Lakers with bigger lineups.

Now that we have Capela that we can put at center, Collins manning the 4, and Bruno/Dedmon as their backups, hopefully LP will shy away from playing small against much larger teams.  Having said that, we still have a need at the wing and at C, whether it be a veteran upgrade over our existing guys, or a decent backup that can give us 20 solid minutes a game.