• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

News and Notes: Updated between Games

JayBirdHawk

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/29038491/dr-anthony-fauci-promotes-single-site-fan-free-return-sports

There you have it, Fauci has endorsed a return to crowdless sports. Trump is strongly encouraging it. Testing issues are being ironed out as we speak. States are opening up their economies soon. There will be NBA basketball. Book it. Don't care what happened in China. If you are waiting for zero risk, that day is not coming. 20 somethings putting a ball in a hoop in an empty gym will not impact the coronavirus outbreak in any appreciable way. I like what Asia is doing with robot fans, NBA should look into that (smile).

• Like 1

• Premium Member
32 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/29038491/dr-anthony-fauci-promotes-single-site-fan-free-return-sports

There you have it, Fauci has endorsed a return to crowdless sports. Trump is strongly encouraging it. Testing issues are being ironed out as we speak. States are opening up their economies soon. There will be NBA basketball. Book it. Don't care what happened in China. If you are waiting for zero risk, that day is not coming. 20 somethings putting a ball in a hoop in an empty gym will not impact the coronavirus outbreak in any appreciable way. I like what Asia is doing with robot fans, NBA should look into that (smile).

I've supported this for at least a month.  Even it there is an occasional positive test on an Athlete, they aren't as effected as the older non athlete.  Most pass thru the 2 seek period without symptoms.  Technology can make the televised game appear to be normal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

There's the refs, announcers, staff, and tv production crew to consider.  Unless Trae's brother is just going to film it on his iPhone.

Nah, screw them.  At worst, one or two of 'em get sick.  Maybe one dies.

We're ok and we want sports.  That's the important thing.

- NeoPeo

• Thanks 1

Just now, Peoriabird said:

I've supported this for at least a month.  Even it there is an occasional positive test on an Athlete, they aren't as effected as the older non athlete.  Most pass thru the 2 seek period without symptoms.  Technology can make the televised game appear to be normal.

Exactly. The doomsdayers saying everything will be canceled forever. It's always darkest before the dawn. Just chill, give it a couple weeks. The NBA is more concerned about optics than anything. So they don't want to look like they are rushing back. But behind the scenes I bet Cuban, Silver, etc. are already planning the return. 

5 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

There's the refs, announcers, staff, and tv production crew to consider.  Unless Trae's brother is just going to film it on his iPhone.

No one has to be in 6 feet proximity to the players besides the refs. I think D*ck Bavetta retired already.

Edited by bleachkit

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Why would the announcers and the TV staff be anywhere near the Athletes?

You might be able to ref the games remotely

3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Most of the refs are in great shape. They have to run the floor and keep up with professional athletes to get the right angles to make calls. Most ordinary people would be huffing and puffing.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

What does being near the athletes have to do with it?   All these people will be near each other, traveling, out in public.   I'm not saying it's not doable.  I'd love to watch some games.  All i'm saying is it's not just about some healthy 20 year olds.  There will be more people required in order to make the game happen than will be on the court.    

• Like 1

I don't think it's worth starting everything back up when 1 coach or player getting infected would mean shutting it all down again. Most of the players have probably checked out of this season already and wouldn't agree to it anyway. Especially after KAT's mother just died. Basketball isn't that important. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

What does being near the athletes have to do with it?   All these people will be near each other, traveling, out in public.   I'm not saying it's not doable.  I'd love to watch some games.  All i'm saying is it's not just about some healthy 20 year olds.  There will be more people required in order to make the game happen than will be on the court.    

No they don't.  You don't even need multiple announcers.  Heck the guy can even announce the game from home with technology

2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

It no more risky than people who are currently working jobs all over the country, probably less so with the NBA's resources. They will have measures in place, no way there isn't NBA basketball in the coming months.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, High5 said:

I don't think it's worth starting everything back up when 1 coach or player getting infected would mean shutting it all down again. Most of the players have probably checked out of this season already and wouldn't agree to it anyway. Especially after KAT's mother just died. Basketball isn't that important. 

Y'all are acting like everything has to be exactly the same to start things back up and I'm saying it doesn't.  Things can be done remotely

6 minutes ago, High5 said:

Most players are itching to come back. Especially sitting in their house for a month getting restless. Ballers want to ball my friend. Feel free not to watch if you're not interested.

Edited by bleachkit

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

It no more risky than people who are currently working jobs all over the country, probably less so with the NBA's resources. They will have measures in place, no way there isn't NBA basketball in the coming months.

If these guys took the same approach with other industries then no one in their right mind would go back and to in a place like a hospital etc.

• Like 1

Just now, Peoriabird said:

Y'all are acting like everything has to be exactly the same to start things back up and I'm saying it doesn't.  Things can be done remotely

No I'm not. What happens in the arena is only a small portion of the problem.