• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

News and Notes: Updated between Games

JayBirdHawk

The bottom line is this.  If you want the Hawks to start building towards winning, you have to fire Lloyd Pierce.  He's never going to build a winner in Atlanta, and Kenny Atkinson is the top name available.  He's also from the Bud tree, which is nothing but a positive.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, hawkzlova123 said:

I've never seen somebody put up with a dumb donkey remark so politely.

I do concur with KB here, 

He'd be a good fit

Atkinson is a good developmental coach but if you're firing Pierce (and that may happen at some point) for him you might as well go ahead and trade Trae, pick another PG to develop, and plan on setting back the tank/rebuild another 2 years. I think you can get to him some on off ball play, but doing it fully is likely completely unreachable.

If we're going to make Trae work, it means waving goodbye to the Spurs/Budenholzer way. Period. Trae Young's playstyle is much more James Harden then Stephen Curry and I don't think you're fully changing that. Although he's now playing with another PG again, Harden dominates the ball a good bit. I think Trae is always going to dominate the ball a lot and the Spurs way goes against what I've listed here, it's about always really sharing it.

Reddish does need to become the best player on the team though, to boot. Or there's major trouble anyway.

Edited by Lurker
  • Thanks 2

I must say I do love that guy Atkinson but based on our style mark Jackson is honestly a better option! Mike D’Antoni is probably the best offensive option if he were available which he may be this off season as trae fits his system (his Nash 7 seconds system that is) all too well.

call me crazy but if LP is fired I believe mark Jackson would be the first option if available at that time.

On 3/7/2020 at 12:49 PM, Lurker said:

Atkinson is a good developmental coach but if you're firing Pierce (and that may happen at some point) for him you might as well go ahead and trade Trae, pick another PG to develop, and plan on setting back the tank/rebuild another 2 years. I think you can get to him some on off ball play, but doing it fully is likely completely unreachable.

If we're going to make Trae work, it means waving goodbye to the Spurs/Budenholzer way. Period. Trae Young's playstyle is much more James Harden then Stephen Curry and I don't think you're fully changing that. Although he's now playing with another PG again, Harden dominates the ball a good bit. I think Trae is always going to dominate the ball a lot and the Spurs way goes against what I've listed here, it's about always really sharing it.

Reddish does need to become the best player on the team though, to boot. Or there's major trouble anyway.

Only thing I don’t agree with is people saying trae is like harden though. Trae uses the screen more than any player in the league and scores more than any player in the league with the screen. 

harden is straight up iso hardly no screens ever. Trae wants that screen he loves it and is born for it. Trae isn’t isolating out there 50 times a game like harden. The only real similarity is that they both don’t know what to do offensively when the ball isnt in their hands but that’s not as much of an issue for trae if you believe in traditional styles of point guards suppose to have the ball in their hands initializing plays.

28 minutes ago, JTB said:

I must say I do love that guy Atkinson but based on our style mark Jackson is honestly a better option! Mike D’Antoni is probably the best offensive option if he were available which he may be this off season as trae fits his system (his Nash 7 seconds system that is) all too well.

call me crazy but if LP is fired I believe mark Jackson would be the first option if available at that time.

So do you read my stuff, not like it, then agree with me in a different but same idea 💡 post like 24 hours later? 

@JayBirdHawk tell him whatcha think about Mark action Jackson.

Ill let you ride shotgun @JTB but I’m the driver of this bitch.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

So do you read my stuff, not like it, then agree with me in a different but same idea 💡 post like 24 hours later? 

@JayBirdHawk tell him whatcha think about Mark action Jackson.

Ill let you ride shotgun @JTB but I’m the driver of this bitch.

Lol I possibly may have done that ...completely unknowingly though 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JTB said:

Lol I possibly may have done that ...completely unknowingly though 

Don’t worry I’ll find it for you. I’m not guaranteeing 🦅 won’t rip you a new one ☝🏾 though!

On that note, happy international women’s day @JayBirdHawk. 👏 We honor the ladies of squawk!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It’s sad that this organization had Mike Budenholzer just two years ago, and the fan base is now talking up Mark Jackson and Lloyd Pierce as head coaches.  Have you forgotten this soon what quality coaching looks like?

• Premium Member
On 3/7/2020 at 10:30 AM, KB21 said:

The bottom line is this.  If you want the Hawks to start building towards winning, you have to fire Lloyd Pierce.  He's never going to build a winner in Atlanta, and Kenny Atkinson is the top name available.  He's also from the Bud tree, which is nothing but a positive.  

I do not understand what the love with Pierce is.  Anybody that knows basketball can see he is not head coaching material.  He just dont know what to do on the sidelines and that is why our team is just not very good.  Somebody said the defensive problems were be cause ofTrae.  The other night Trae didnt play and we gave up just as many points on defense.  

3 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

I do not understand what the love with Pierce is.  Anybody that knows basketball can see he is not head coaching material.  He just dont know what to do on the sidelines and that is why our team is just not very good.  Somebody said the defensive problems were be cause ofTrae.  The other night Trae didnt play and we gave up just as many points on defense.  

Lloyd is an easy guy to like if you ignore the results.  He’s personable.  He does a lot for the community in Atlanta.  He seems to genuinely care about the well being of the players.  

He’s just not a good head coach at this point.  Maybe he gets there, but at some point, you have to cut the cord.  I know people think that next year is the year to finally see what Lloyd is all about.  I think those that believe that continue to have unrealistic expectations for what the 2020-2021 team is going to look like.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Lloyd is an easy guy to like if you ignore the results.  He’s personable.  He does a lot for the community in Atlanta.  He seems to genuinely care about the well being of the players.  

He’s just not a good head coach at this point.  Maybe he gets there, but at some point, you have to cut the cord.  I know people think that next year is the year to finally see what Lloyd is all about.  I think those that believe that continue to have unrealistic expectations for what the 2020-2021 team is going to look like.  

I agree and what you said most be it.  I agree he seems personable and dresses the part but he is just lost on the sidelines.  

18 minutes ago, KB21 said:

No that’s not it ...that’s just the way business works in the NBA. Schlenk did not give LP a roster that he can rightfully fire him over and he basically admitted to it.  So this off season with Schlenk really trying to put an actual nba roster on the court LP will then start to really be judged. It’s not unrealistic expectations at all.

if all we do is retain teague and get Trez here then that’s more than enough for the hawks to get to the playoffs along with this young core. If LP don’t do it then that’s on him. He’ll be fired by December.

saying it’s unrealistic expectations though I don’t agree with that. I like LP though he makes numerous mistakes as a coach he is a very young coach and I just understand and know his clock isn’t officially ticking until next season after Schlenk brings in vets who can actually help.

15 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

I agree and what you said most be it.  I agree he seems personable and dresses the part but he is just lost on the sidelines.  

We will see how lost he really is next season and I’m not going against what you’re saying And certainly not saying he isn’t truly lost 😂....

but he has the “it’s a bad overall” roster excuse the past two seasons . Next season is a “tell all” season for LP. We are really going to know where he is as a coach!

6 minutes ago, JTB said:

No that’s not it ...that’s just the way business works in the NBA. Schlenk did not give LP a roster that he can rightfully fire him over and he basically admitted to it.  So this off season with Schlenk really trying to put an actual nba roster on the court LP will then start to really be judged. It’s not unrealistic expectations at all.

if all we do is retain teague and get Trez here then that’s more than enough for the hawks to get to the playoffs along with this young core. If LP don’t do it then that’s on him. He’ll be fired by December.

saying it’s unrealistic expectations though I don’t agree with that. I like LP though he makes numerous mistakes as a coach he is a very young coach and I just understand and know his clock isn’t officially ticking until next season after Schlenk brings in vets who can actually help.

How exactly does signing Trez and retaining Teague make this a playoff team next year?  Do you realize how far away from the playoffs this team is?