• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

News and Notes: Updated between Games

JayBirdHawk

6 minutes ago, KB21 said:

How exactly does signing Trez and retaining Teague make this a playoff team next year?  Do you realize how far away from the playoffs this team is?

If you have teague, huerter, Dedmon, Trez, your lottery pick that will be top 5, also Goodwin coming off the bench ....and with our young core as starters plus capela....that sir is a 7th or 8th seed in the East barring no injuries. Newsflash the East ain’t that got damn good sir!

LP has no excuses....don’t give him any. If he can’t make the playoffs in the EAST with that above then he’s going to be looking at a very short time here next season.

I’m not understanding your philosophy here. It doesn’t matter if you don’t think much of the young core or the coach ...I can read between the lines my friend! It’s not that hard. You think LP would have publicly been saying playoffs next season is the goal in his recent interview if the organization didn’t tell him the expectations going into next season and what the plan was this offseason???

The organization has spoke to the fans through LP...(catch up guy)...playoffs is the goal next season it doesn’t matter what you think is realistic or not, it’s what the organization thinks. Our young core plus better vets is believed to get us in the playoffs by the organization and some fans including myself.

getting to the playoffs it’s a good goal for a very young team like this and it certainly ain’t a impossible one. Be different if we were talking championships . You’re getting all hysterical over a team that’s saying the goal is to get to the playoffs in the EAST...think about it??? You don’t even have to have a winning record in the east to do that...it’s not that damn impossible In the east sir. Get a damn grip.

14 minutes ago, JTB said:

If you have teague, huerter, Dedmon, Trez, your lottery pick that will be top 5, also Goodwin coming off the bench ....and with our young core as starters plus capela....that sir is a 7th or 8th seed in the East barring no injuries. Newsflash the East ain’t that got damn good sir!

LP has no excuses....don’t give him any. If he can’t make the playoffs in the EAST with that above then he’s going to be looking at a very short time here next season.

I’m not understanding your philosophy here. It doesn’t matter if you don’t think much of the young core or the coach ...I can read between the lines my friend! It’s not that hard. You think LP would have publicly been saying playoffs next season is the goal in his recent interview if the organization didn’t tell him the expectations going into next season and what the plan was this offseason???

The organization has spoke to the fans through LP...(catch up guy)...playoffs is the goal next season it doesn’t matter what you think is realistic or not, it’s what the organization thinks. Our young core plus better vets is believed to get us in the playoffs by the organization and some fans including myself.

getting to the playoffs it’s a good goal for a very young team like this and it certainly ain’t a impossible one. Be different if we were talking championships . You’re getting all hysterical over a team that’s saying the goal is to get to the playoffs in the EAST...think about it??? You don’t even have to have a winning record in the east to do that...it’s not that damn impossible In the east sir. Get a damn grip.

It doesn’t really matter whether this is the East or not.  Barring a trade for someone like Joel Embiid or Karl Anthony Towns, this team will not be able to add enough player wins to make the playoffs in 2020-2021.  Because no matter what you believe, other teams in the East will be getting better.  

The Hawks will have to make something like a 20 game improvement over this year to do this.

32 minutes ago, KB21 said:

It doesn’t really matter whether this is the East or not.  Barring a trade for someone like Joel Embiid or Karl Anthony Towns, this team will not be able to add enough player wins to make the playoffs in 2020-2021.  Because no matter what you believe, other teams in the East will be getting better.  

The Hawks will have to make something like a 20 game improvement over this year to do this.

Hawks still have a chance to win 27 or 28 games this season, if players would stop getting injured. The team could make a jump to 40 or 41 wins with key free agent additions & having Capela for the full season and Collins not missing 25 games.   Capela & Collins could be beasts next season;.

Edited by Blunt91
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Blunt91 said:

Hawks still have a chance to win 27 or 28 games this season, if players would stop getting injured. The team could make a jump to 40 or 41 wins with key free agent additions & having Capela for the full season and Collins not missing 25 games.   Capela & Collins could be beasts next season;.

Yeah it’s not really that unrealistic to make the playoffs. I don’t get his fuss . 

6 hours ago, JTB said:

In all fairness, Teague has a -.4 WAR. For rotation players at his position, that's the 7th worst in the NBA. Now it has went slightly up (.1) since coming from MIN but he had the worst WAR on MIN who gave him away for one of the worst players in the NBA in Allen Crabbe. Of those players worse than Teague that are vets, only Rajon Rondo who is struggling bad with the Lakers and IT0 who is currently out of the NBA with Crabbe are doing worse. It's fair to say, Teague is washed and done as well and should join them this off-season.

Huerter who overachieved as a rookie and a bad part of why we haven't progressed into a higher level this year is rocking .1 WAR which is the 13th worst for all SG's. That said, I expect this number to skyrocket in an easier role playing next to a better PG v. far easier units. Last year, he had a 1 WAR which was crazy good for a rookie wing but he had a lot of success off the bench as a rookie and his numbers declined playing next to Trae. He might be one of the guys who benefit from the move. 

Dedmon has been did nothing but BENEFIT with the Hawks. He went from an abysmal -.8 WAR with the Kings to a .2 WAR with the Hawks. I think it's fair to say his jump was massive and his fit is good here. Dedmon had a 2.5 WAR last year which while not great, is still quality that you want from a backup center. While Alex Len is doing well in SAC, his WAR climbed up from .7 to 1.2 WAR. That's 5 points, Dedmon in a short time with the Hawks climbed 10 points! That's an insane jump in production although his March like for most of the Hawks have been rough. 

Trez is by far one of the most productive bench forwards in the NBA since Paul Millsap in Utah. It makes a lot of sense to bring someone of his elite role caliber here. Currently has a 6 WAR which would clearly be 2nd highest on our team. Has had high WARs for years, he would easily be our 2nd best player by a mile. While I do expect Cam Reddish to take a massive leap in the next year. It wouldn't surprise me if Harrell did too in Atlanta. Impact wise, there aren't many players in the NBA as good as Montrezl Harrell. 

I will say this JTB, if you add Harrell, your bench will at least be decent due to him alone. Add Kevin, it helps Harrell and your bench, so solid at worst is likely. I still think Teague has to be replaced. Even with just Harrell and Huerter, as you said, it's hard to imagine this team not making the playoffs next year. Harrell is worth 6 WAR and his WAR been on the uptick every year at a massive rate like the likes of Paul Millsap. If that player can't help you, someone has to be replaced and at that point, it can't be TS, he did his job. 

Adding Harrell is a MASSIVE move in the right direction but replacing Teague and getting a 4th wing (shooter) is important too.

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, KB21 said:

Harrell is worth 6 WAR at this moment which is higher than KAT and was worth 5 WAR last year. He is every bit as good as Sap before coming to Atlanta and you f***ing love Sap. Your love of seeing LP/TS fail is disgusting and you hated that we overachieved last year because you couldn't prove your stupid point. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

In all fairness, Teague has a -.4 WAR. For rotation players at his position, that's the 7th worst in the NBA. Now it has went slightly up (.1) since coming from MIN but he had the worst WAR on MIN who gave him away for one of the worst players in the NBA in Allen Crabbe. Of those players worse than Teague that are vets, only Rajon Rondo who is struggling bad with the Lakers and IT0 who is currently out of the NBA with Crabbe are doing worse. It's fair to say, Teague is washed and done as well and should join them this off-season.

Huerter who overachieved as a rookie and a bad part of why we haven't progressed into a higher level this year is rocking .1 WAR which is the 13th worst for all SG's. That said, I expect this number to skyrocket in an easier role playing next to a better PG v. far easier units. Last year, he had a 1 WAR which was crazy good for a rookie wing but he had a lot of success off the bench as a rookie and his numbers declined playing next to Trae. He might be one of the guys who benefit from the move. 

Dedmon has been did nothing but BENEFIT with the Hawks. He went from an abysmal -.8 WAR with the Kings to a .2 WAR with the Hawks. I think it's fair to say his jump was massive and his fit is good here. Dedmon had a 2.5 WAR last year which while not great, is still quality that you want from a backup center. While Alex Len is doing well in SAC, his WAR climbed up from .7 to 1.2 WAR. That's 5 points, Dedmon in a short time with the Hawks climbed 10 points! That's an insane jump in production although his March like for most of the Hawks have been rough. 

Trez is by far one of the most productive bench forwards in the NBA since Paul Millsap in Utah. It makes a lot of sense to bring someone of his elite role caliber here. Currently has a 6 WAR which would clearly be 2nd highest on our team. Has had high WARs for years, he would easily be our 2nd best player by a mile. While I do expect Cam Reddish to take a massive leap in the next year. It wouldn't surprise me if Harrell did too in Atlanta. Impact wise, there aren't many players in the NBA as good as Montrezl Harrell. 

I will say this JTB, if you add Harrell, your bench will at least be decent due to him alone. Add Kevin, it helps Harrell and your bench, so solid at worst is likely. I still think Teague has to be replaced. Even with just Harrell and Huerter, as you said, it's hard to imagine this team not making the playoffs next year. Harrell is worth 6 WAR and his WAR been on the uptick every year at a massive rate like the likes of Paul Millsap. If that player can't help you, someone has to be replaced and at that point, it can't be TS, he did his job. 

Adding Harrell is a MASSIVE move in the right direction but replacing Teague and getting a 4th wing (shooter) is important too.

I’d be ok with this too. Ultimately I’d love to get Bertrans and Trez but I know the deal with Bertrans as you’ve stated many times. As for teague I still like him but not stuck on him. I thought a vet pg would be best for trae but then again trae is finding his own way and veteran help period no matter the position should be more than good enough.

i also hope we add a vet wing defender like Crawford.

Either way like you’ve said and many posters expected moves will be made this off season to equip LP a roster to make the playoffs in the East.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JTB said:

I’d be ok with this too. Ultimately I’d love to get Bertrans and Trez but I know the deal with Bertrans as you’ve stated many times. As for teague I still like him but not stuck on him. I thought a vet pg would be best for trae but then again trae is finding his own way and veteran help period no matter the position should be more than good enough.

i also hope we add a vet wing defender like Crawford.

Either way like you’ve said and many posters expected moves will be made this off season to equip LP a roster to make the playoffs in the East.

We just need a good backup PG. I like Killian Hayes: Read this article on him: https://theathletic.com/1637390/2020/02/26/dispatches-from-the-mystery-nba-draft-talking-with-killian-hayes-trainer/

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KB21 said:

The amount of improvement that you guys are expecting from this “young core” is unrealistic.  

Of everyone on this board, you know I'm on the KB train in 1st class....but I'm thinking you are blind here.  I've looked at the free agent class and although I agree there is no game changer there, our large amount of cap space in the summer allows us to take on someone else's salary again.  This time though, for better talent and future picks.  

I honestly believe the draft pick for us is either James Wiseman or bust. I'm not even sure (given our list of young wings) that we'd pick Edwards.  If Wiseman is not an option, I think we use the pick in trade for someone else's star level talent to help a team rebuild. No I don't have specifics yet. I haven't done the research.

Take this year's roster. Add Skal, Capela + $50 million in salary. Yes, I'm thinking 45 wins.

The subtraction of Collins for 25+ games cost this team (I feel) 10 wins.  IMHO, we should be about 28-29 wins right now, not 19. Let's say 28-37. Now consider they played without a second point guard for 45 games. That's another 5 wins, so 33-34. Lastly, rebounding was atrocious. Add Skal and Capela and that's another 5 wins. 38-29.  Maybe I'm being generous, but its at least over 500.  You can't discount the cost of that 62 million in wasted salary on the roster this year and the 1/2 of a wasted season for Collins. Resign Teague or get a quality second point and bring in one more + level starter and I think you have a 45 win team. 

Collins, Heurter, Young, Reddish, Hunter will all take a mild step up in size/strength/maturity in the off-season naturally. Could it all fall off the rails again. YAH! But we are now 3 years in to this nonsense and its time to take off the our blinders and see what assets we do have going forward.

Edited by thecampster
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, thecampster said:

Of everyone on this board, you know I'm on the KB train in 1st class....but I'm thinking you are blind here.  I've looked at the free agent class and although I agree there is no game changer there, our large amount of cap space in the summer allows us to take on someone else's salary again.  This time though, for better talent and future picks.  

I honestly believe the draft pick for us is either James Wiseman or bust. I'm not even sure (given our list of young wings) that we'd pick Edwards.  If Wiseman is not an option, I think we use the pick in trade for someone else's star level talent to help a team rebuild. No I don't have specifics yet. I haven't done the research.

Take this year's roster. Add Skal, Capela + $50 million in salary. Yes, I'm thinking 45 wins.

The subtraction of Collins for 25+ games cost this team (I feel) 10 wins.  IMHO, we should be about 28-29 wins right now, not 19. Let's say 28-37. Now consider they played without a second point guard for 45 games. That's another 5 wins, so 33-34. Lastly, rebounding was atrocious. Add Skal and Capela and that's another 5 wins. 38-29.  Maybe I'm being generous, but its at least over 500.  You can't discount the cost of that 62 million in wasted salary on the roster this year and the 1/2 of a wasted season for Collins. Resign Teague or get a quality second point and bring in one more + level starter and I think you have a 45 win team. 

Collins, Heurter, Young, Reddish, Hunter will all take a mild step up in size/strength/maturity in the off-season naturally. Could it all fall off the rails again. YAH! But we are now 3 years in to this nonsense and its time to take off the our blinders and see what assets we do have going forward.

I generally agree with you on the draft.  I can see Wiseman being the pick, but I'm still rooting for us to draft T. Rade or his cousin Swap, Pick 😉

I also agree on your assessment of the team overall.  Not sure about your choice of train seating though. 😒

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I generally agree with you on the draft.  I can see Wiseman being the pick, but I'm still rooting for us to draft T. Rade or his cousin Swap, Pick 😉

I also agree on your assessment of the team overall.  Not sure about your choice of train seating though. 😒

Ok.......that was funny! :lmao:

Good way to start the week! Hopefully the Hawks have a better week than last week! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Harrell is worth 6 WAR at this moment which is higher than KAT and was worth 5 WAR last year. He is every bit as good as Sap before coming to Atlanta and you f***ing love Sap. You are garbage my friend, pure garbage. Your love of seeing LP/TS fail is disgusting and you hated that we overachieved last year because you couldn't prove your stupid point. 

I'd be on board with signing Harrell if we had a different head coach that would know how to use him effectively and could also help expand his game/range.  

2 hours ago, thecampster said:

You are definitely being generous.  If John Collins is worth more than 10 wins to this team over a stretch of 28 games or however many it was, then he's the best player in the NBA right now.  Over the entire season, John Collins may be worth around 5 wins total for an entire season, and I'm not sure he's worth that much even then because of his lack of overall defensive impact as well as his lack of ability to create offense for others.  

I think people are expecting John to be an 8-10 WAR player, Trae to be an 8-10 WAR player, and Cam Reddish to make a jump in his second year much like Trae has this year, and I just don't believe this is realistic at all.  

With this coach, and the fact that Travis isn't going to sign anyone that will take minutes away from the "young core", 35 wins is the absolute max I can see this team getting in 2020-2021.  

Edited by KB21

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Some good news on that front. At the time of the season’s suspension March 11, which is the most recent time injured Hawks players have been evaluated, Capela was making good functional progress and had progressed to participating in half-court workouts, according to a person familiar with the situation (that can mean shooting, agility drills and practicing with the team, though it’s not as if he’s getting up and down the court in a full-contact scrimmage). That’s a great step for Capela, seeing as how stubborn plantar fasciitis and heel injuries can be to fully recover from.

• Thanks 1