• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Brooklyn 2020 1st Round Pick Watch

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

So I'm assuming that this a long winded way of saying that you agree with Schlenk's decision not to compete this year.

Again, you don't bother to read my posts and simply substitute whatever you want me to say in place of what I actually say so I'm done with this.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

Again, you don't bother to read my posts and simply substitute whatever you want me to say in place of what I actually say so I'm done with this.

Can I ask you a direct question then...Do you agree with what Schlenk's decision not to compete this year?

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Can I ask you a direct question then...Do you agree with what Schlenk's decision not to compete this year?

Unlike last year where I affirmatively wanted us to lose a lot of games, if I were running the team myself, the roster would look different this season and would be more competitive.  That being said, I know that I don't know as much as a good NBA GM.  More than seeing what I would choose to happen on my own, I want a GM with a vision and a consistent plan to follow that vision.  I think we have that in Schlenk so I support that.  I would also have supported it if he had gone in a different direction to try to turn the corner and make the playoffs this season and did so on a path to put us in a position to contend long-term. 

I'm not emotionally invested in seeing a particular plan I personally would choose play out so much as emotionally invested in seeing what I consider to be a cogent plan enacted by our management team.  The Warriors made the playoffs for the first time in Steph Curry's fifth season so I don't think we are at an inflection point of having to make the playoffs right now or losing the team's positive momentum.  I don't care so much which path we take to get up the hill as long as I see it as a viable way to climb the hill.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

The Warriors made the playoffs for the first time in Steph Curry's fifth season so I don't think we are at an inflection point of having to make the playoffs right now or losing the team's positive momentum.

The difference is that the Warriors were trying to make the playoffs while the Hawks are not.  The Hawks rather acquire useless $25 million dollar players rather than real vet. contributors and have done it multiple times over the last couple of years.  Don't think for one moment that players don't put two and two together and talk among themselves about questionable decision made by management.  Baze and Dennis certainly did.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

The difference is that the Warriors were trying to make the playoffs while the Hawks are not.  The Hawks rather acquire useless $25 million dollar players rather than real vet. contributors and have done it multiple times over the last couple of years.  Don't think for one moment that players don't put two and two together and talk among themselves about questionable decision made by management.  Baze and Dennis certainly did.

You are trolling now, right?  Please tell me you are.  The season before the Warriors made the playoffs they did one of the most deliberate intentional tank jobs in recent years.  Schlenk openly admitted they tanked.

Early in my days in Golden State we were not good. The year we drafted Harrison at seven, our first-round pick was protected 1-7. We made a decision halfway through that year to trade Monta Ellis, who was our best player at the time, for an injured Andrew Bogut who we knew wouldn't play. We made that deal knowing two things. 

One, we never had a center in Golden State, when I was there anyway. With eyes on the future if we can get him healthy, get him back, we shut Steph down at the time. We knew we had to fall into those bottom seven spots to get our pick and that was really important to us.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, AHF said:

You are trolling now, right?  Please tell me you are.  The season before the Warriors made the playoffs they did one of the most deliberate intentional tank jobs in recent years.  Schlenk openly admitted they tanked.

They didn't try to lose for 5 years...You're the one that is trolling!

Ok I won’t respond to any certain poster but I’ll say some people on here have gone extremely political and again use word semantics against people. I’m gonna use caps here so look away if ur squirmish.

I DIDNT COMPARE US TO THE SUNS. I SAID IF WE (and we meaning our own draft pick based on our own record) CONTINUE TO DRAFT IN THE LOTTERY THEN IT SIGNALS THAT WE HAVE FAILED. I DONT BELIEVE THIS IS THE CASE. 

I THINK WE ARE READY TO WIN!

ps Please don’t make it sound like some people don’t want draft picks. Yes the Lakers example is true but not necessary in every model imo. Each team does it their way. We have the artillery. They just need to grow and experience winning. I’m gonna leave it at that.

I don’t agree that Schlenk should spend. I think that Schlenk should continue to be shrewd and pick his spots and spend wisely.

We let us naturally grow together for the time being win or lose.

• Like 1

Brooklyn were a 7th seed last season and did that with continuity from the previous season.  Barring a surprise, Miami is the only team that threatens to replace them in the top 8 but I don't see them necessarily moving up the standings either so the ~15th pick would be a nice reward.

• Moderators

I'm not claiming that you think we are the Suns.  You said you hoped we don't turn into them.  They became what they are by blowing draft picks.  Schlenk has nailed them to date so even if we miss the playoffs this year I'm not remotely concerned about becoming the Suns.  It isn't on my radar.

Look at what both teams did in this draft.  We traded up to land good ceiling / high floor Hunter and got high upside in the late lottery in Reddish and a high upside second round pick in Bruno.  The Suns trade away Jarret Culver so they could get low ceiling Cameron Johnson.  Then they traded their 2020 pick to the Celtics for 32 year old Aaron Baynes and the #24 pick in the draft.  They only protected their pick through the top 7 meaning when it conveys it will almost certainly be worth a lot more than what they acquired.  They just have blown so many of these deals.

Spud - You and I agree on this team.  We've got good young talent.   Let's develop it.  Let's us our cap space intelligently and aggressively.  Grow naturally together right now.

The only difference is you think we will be in the playoffs with this natural growth and I think we'll be in the lottery.  Either way, I think we'll both be very happy if the team's young players continue to show the kind of development they showed last year.

• Like 3

Growing.  That is so hard, isn't it.  I well remember, as a young lad, I wanted to get big enough and old enough to have a driver's license.  Back in my day, this was the dream of almost all young country boys.

The Hawks are constructing their Basketball team.  We all want them to win.  We are so impatient to see the completed product.  The plan is in place.  As much as we hate it, we do not already have all the pieces together right now.  In our mind, we have a picture of how great this team could be "IF" we had everything.  We don't.  Like that young boy, waiting to get old enough to legally drive, time drags on and on.

Hawks are growing their own.  Draft picks that must mature.  We have high hopes for all our young players including our three centers.  Some may not become what we now expect of them and some may surprise.  Time is on our side.  I am the oldest poster here.  I want them to hurry up and let me see them as a winning team.  I must be patient. 

This upcoming season is our season to change.  We finished last season with a loss in the final game, depriving us of #30 for the year.  Hopefully this season, the Hawks will being leaving the lottery behind and wading into the playoff pool.

Losing can be contagious.  So can winning.  It's our turn to have a winning attitude and a winning season !!

GO ATL HAWKS !!

:clapping:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I can't be the only one lol'ng at AH's beef'n with all comers, right?

He is bare-knuckles brawlin' like a Roadhouse sequel up in here.

He's basically Patrick Swayze with 83% less sexiness.

😊

I dunno man me and AHF be like Ike and Tina. 🤦‍♀️ One min we good the next one of us wants to smash (no not in that way haha) the other 😏.

kg...it got so bad that I almost started seeing stuff as peo, no offense peo I dig ur style.

26 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I can't be the only one lol'ng at AH's beef'n with all comers, right?

He is bare-knuckles brawlin' like a Roadhouse sequel up in here.

He's basically Patrick Swayze with 83% less sexiness.

😊

Hey did you get any squawk mail yesterday? WTH.

4 minutes ago, kg01 said:

What, you sending more nudes?  Nah, I got nothing.  You gotta stop feuding with AH, mayne.  He gonna take his peo-fueled anger out on you.

Well it’s ok I’ll resend the email through another service as my squawk mail doesn’t work. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

I don't get why Baze and Dennis wanting out is some kind of big deal.  They are role players who had very little trade value.   In fact, had they been our offseason FA signings some here would have called them 'trash' and 'players with no options' like Parker, Len, Crabbe, and Turner are being referred to.  

We're building.  Trae and Collins look great now BECAUSE they got playing time and weren't sitting on the bench behind middling vets.  We want the same for Cam and Hunter too right?

• Like 2